Anyone go to Cates?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

I was told Lot 1 went to the Guidrys in LA. Also heard all the semen went for $ 1200/straw. Jordan Acres averaged about    $ 3500 and Cagwin's averaged about $ 3200.

OH Breeder

I am going to try to go see "EPIC" at Ms. Swartz this coming weekend. Will let you know whats up. From what I hear he is as good and some say better than Sonny.

Doc

shortdawg said:
I was told Lot 1 went to the Guidrys in LA. Also heard all the semen went for $ 1200/straw. Jordan Acres averaged about    $ 3500 and Cagwin's averaged about $ 3200.
Shortdawg, I told you wrong & then forget to correct myself when I had a shotgun going off in my ear, but lot 1 was bought by Bailey Clanton. Got in the house at 11:30 last night after unloading the cattle. I'll call you tonight & give you the rundown.

justintime

Hi Bob,
Check with Jim M. He was at Cagwins sale. Hill Haven bought a cow at $11,000, Fantasy Lane bought a cow at $4000, Huberdale purchased a cow at $5000 and a pregnancy at $2800. I think there were a couple more that came to Canada, but Big Jim can give you all the info. He called me on his way home and only got to speak to him for a few minutes. He was stopped at Barry Jordan's on the way home.

Doc

uluru said:
Shortdawg or Doc
Do you know what the older bred cows in the Jordan's, Cates or Cagwin sales went for?

Thx
The older cows got pretty tough. Lot of them were $1500 & under. several didn't bring $1000. Of the 3 going to Canada I think Huberdale got the best one, she was a little shortnecked but other than that pretty nice cow. All & all I thought it was I thought it was the weakest offering as a group CCS has had in a while. I was very disappointed in the Pure Solution calves. JMO,though. ;D

Malinda

Thanks Red.

The lot 1 heifer is the first  and only heifer calf born at Cates out of my DZ cow (picture on my post). She is a Bloodstone and brought $45,000.

My first DZ/Bloodstone calf is the heifer I sold to Jake Boyert. She was 3rd in a class of 11 at Jr. Nationals and was champion at the Ohio State Fair Junior Show.

DZ never wanted to be a show heifer: she always went into this goat dance, roached her top, didn't track well and in general wasn't herself.  But, she does want to be a cow. I honestly don't think I have ever had a cow put as much of her genetics into her calves as she does.

I had no intention of getting on here and blowing my own horn or bragging, but Red opened up the door. Forgive my pride.

Malinda

shortyjock89

Malinda said:
Thanks Red.

The lot 1 heifer is the first  and only heifer calf born at Cates out of my DZ cow (picture on my post). She is a Bloodstone and brought $45,000.

My first DZ/Bloodstone calf is the heifer I sold to Jake Boyert. She was 3rd in a class of 11 at Jr. Nationals and was champion at the Ohio State Fair Junior Show.

DZ never wanted to be a show heifer: she always went into this goat dance, roached her top, didn't track well and in general wasn't herself.  But, she does want to be a cow. I honestly don't think I have ever had a cow put as much of her genetics into her calves as she does.

I had no intention of getting on here and blowing my own horn or bragging, but Red opened up the door. Forgive my pride.

Malinda

I don't think it's bragging if you have the animals to back it up and you certainly do there with your DZ cow..I think it's amazing the quality of cattle that the members of this site have. 

itk

Malinda said:
Thanks Red.

Malinda

I say brag away and congrats. I feel like we are all a sort of family here and love to hear when our "family members" have success. The only person who might not appreciate it is Jill since she is from the same county as Clantons. She looked like a great heifer and is going to a great home you have every reason to be proud.

cowz

Malinda,

Congrats!  Brag away.....the only folks that will not like it are the Kansas kiddo's!  Lot 1 was in the dreams of a lot of young (and old) exhibitors.  I think my older son slept with the Cates catalog under his pillow for a few weeks!

Kudos to your program!  Keep up the good work!

Jill

Congratulations to you Malinda, and congratulations to the Clantons, you may brag all you'd like, you had a nice heifer that went to a really good family, they will do a nice job with her. 

shortdawg

Malinda, Congrats on the heifer, she is nice. I'm looking forward to using my bull this fall that is a sib to your DZ cow. He will be 2 yrs old in Jan. and he'll see a little work before that.

red

Malinda, considering how hard you work w/ your cattle & the love you put into them I say brag all you want. I know there are times that you've called me after being in the barn working w/ them. you might not show them yourself but you are very hands on in every other aspect. Like I said " way to go girl!" If people understood your physical limitations more they would be even more in awe of you.

Red