Anyone know how long PHA results are taking now?

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

TPX,  i can see you becoming one of the good people in the shorthorn breed that people will talk about like you talk about JIT, take this opportunity that is presenting itself to you and own it. if there is something in need and you can provide it, you won't have to take it too them, they will come to you.  

knabe

most of the information is listed at

http://www.maine-anjou.org/ under the abnormality section

there probably is a shorthorn equivalent, as well as a chianina equivalent

contacts for results are through donna at SEK genetics which is a semen distributor who with their money, had all relevant bulls in his inventory tested.

the lab that does the testing is at the university of Illinois, dr. Jon Beever's lab. 

DL

While we are on the subject I would like to add another 35 cents worth - I am incredibly grateful that someone (in this case Dr B & barrel Racer) actually cared enough to track down the abnormal genes that are responsible for TH and PHA and develop a test so that we breeders can make informed decisions.

If you were a dog breeder you would still be waiting in most cases for someone to identify the gene that causes PRA (progressive retinal atrophy) in most breeds - waiting like for 25 plus years - what Dr B & BR did in 2 years was identify 2 genes and develop the tests for these - one year for TH and the 2nd for PHA - yes they had help from breeders and vets in the field (well they also had hindrances from some breeders but we don't have to go there  ;D) and yet despite this remarkable accomplishment, the countless hours to get the test validated and up and running, make results available for the big breed sales - somebody somewhere always has to b****

for example the big name semen seller who said he would have put results in his catalog if they had been available - oh, funny, his samples didn't arrive until after the catalog went to print - how handy

if [eople insist on looking at the glass as half empty maybe the rest will spill on their toes....

from a scientific and logistic point of view I think it is a remarkable achievement and my hat is off to both Dr B and his trusty sidekick - THANKS GUYS (clapping) (clapping)
(clapping) (clapping) (clapping)