ARG! poisin ivy!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Seems that is my yard work & gardening I've come down w/ a bad case of poisin ivy. Yucky poo! Of course in hot weather it itches worse. I'll have to stay away from the hubby because he gets it by just looking at it.
Any good home remedies?

Red  ::) :p :-\

Telos

Took cortisteroids the last time I got it. I was miserable.

Aveeno 'soothing bath treatment' is really good for relieving the itching-burning-pain.

DCC_Cattle

One way to take care of the itching is to run Hot water over the area that itches. That has always worked for me. It does burn for a second, but it takes the itch right away.

farmboy

last year i found my self with  poison oak, and I stayed at my brothers house and was up all night scratching it  (it was on my thumb, like where you pop your thumb )

and i ran ice cold water over it for like a minute and it helped really well.

but the best way to get out of it is to scratch the H*** out of it and pour bleach on it. It will burn but youll be cured

GLZ

My least favorite weed.

So I get poison ivy at least 5 times a year.  My place is crawling with it.  I have knocked a ton of it out as opposed to when we bought the place, but it is an ongoing fight.  I have tried just about every topical ointment I could, and none of them work that great.

The best two I have found is a product called Ivarest and good old hyrdocortisone 1%.  Both give you temporary relief, but you have to constantly reapply.

If you need to get rid of it fast (pictures or some other reason.)  There is a product called Zanfel.  It is crazy expensive.  The only reason it is that expensive is because it pretty much knocks it out under a day.  They brag that the itching will stop in 30 seconds.

inthebarnagain

Take oral benadryl, two every 8 hours.  That helps tremendously and before you go out where you know there will be poison ivy or oak, get some spray on antiperspirant, cheap stuff is fine, just as long as it is the antiperspirant and cover yourself.  It is the same ingredient as the ivy block, easier to apply and a whole lot cheaper.

AAOK

red said:
Seems that is my yard work & gardening I've come down w/ a bad case of poisin ivy. Yucky poo! Of course in hot weather it itches worse. I'll have to stay away from the hubby because he gets it by just looking at it.
Any good home remedies?

Red  ::) :p :-\

Have you tried your Banana Cream?  My younger daughter is extremely allergic, and the banana cream works even better than the $300 shot at the Emergency Room.

Yeah!  I just hit 1000!!!

dutch pride

I used to get it it several times a year but seem to have built up immunity to it or something as now I rarely get it at all. I like the Ivarest as well although it still takes a while for it to go away. The kids were playing down in the Gully one spring and they all got it so bad we had to take them in for shots and prescription meds, All over their hands, arms, face and legs.

DLZ

BIGTEX

I can get poison ivy by just looking at it. I use  "clobetasol propionate cream" one application and it is gone. You do need a prescription, but a tube lasts a couple of years.

linnettejane

i get it just by looking at it also....and one time i apparently got it from the smoke from burning a brush pile that had some in it...at least thats what the doctor told me...go figure....

if i get it, its an automatic trip to quick care...shot in the butt and the steriod pack that you take for 5 or 7 days....

i have also found that bleach, although burns like a mother at first, does a great job "drying" it out....

red

I've been using hydrocortisone 1% & Rhuli gel for the itch. We have the Zanfel but it works best if you use right away as soon as you think you've come in contact.
It's actually doing a lot better. Not spreading as bad as the hubby does.

Thanks for all the tips!

Red

kanshow

I hate poison ivy...  darn weed!!!    My mom got it in and around her eyes last week and had to go get the shot.  Other than the extreme - oatmeal bath, baking soda patch, benadryl, those cortisteriod type creams all sort of work. 

Ruchian

I'm lucky, i don't get it.  I can be out in it all day and still not get it.

rtnok

Rachian,'' look out'' When i was young i used to hunt a lot and be in the ivey all day never cought it until i was about 23 and then i got it real bad. But from then on every time i got it was less severe.    Red a good remedy is  cooked oatmeal smeare it on it will helpdry it up but it's a little messey. roni