art of photoshopping

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

this made me laugh. I was looking at this sale and came across this cow and was like damn thats a good looking cow, then I watch he video and I was amazed at the amount of photoshopping it must have taken because her back has more rolls in it than fat albert in the video. sadly she wasnt the only one in there like that For your entertainment: http://www.breedersworld.com/Maxanet/Cattle/trausch0614/814.html.
http://www.breedersworld.com/Maxanet/Cattle/trausch0614/5b.html
if it doesnt work here was the sale link
http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?hunker30/15

they culd have been pictured when they were younger, which then photoshopping wouldnt have occured, but then I have to question the extent in which their bodies went down the toilet

Attachments

• 814.jpg
    814.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 55

HelenH

Sadly, the video and the original photograph are made on the same day of the white cow and likely the roan as well.  Compare the mud marks on each, landscape and overcast day.  How will this practice end? 

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
It probably won't because of money in it, it can be used and not distort the picture, but remove mud, change exposure and other minor things an just enhance picture not distorting animal ....But even in the video's the practice of never seeing front or backward shot, or taking most video's in 5 inch grass so you can't see feet and legs ......

DLD

I'm not saying these animals were touched up or not, but just some fyi for those of you who've never been involved in this picturing and videoing process for these sales.  The really good photographers spend a whole lot of time to get the right still pics - way more than the videos.  There are at least two other people in the picture pen moving the cattle around and "gettin' ears" - a half step up and that head just a tic higher (or lower, or whatever) can level out the funkiest of tops, among other things.  I've never worked with the photographer in these pics, but I suspect she's as much of a perfectionist as some of the ones I have worked with - they don't quit 'til they get a pic they're happy with, and they know that pic has to be good enough to make a buyer stop and look.  By the time the day is over, you think all that photographer can say is "bring her around one more time - I can do better".

A whole bunch of these pics are photoshopped, to remove distractions in the background like the power line pole growing out of the middle of one's back, or the post that makes 'em look like they have five legs.  Beyond that, I don't know.

sizzler14

I have worked with some before on promotional pictures for a few bulls and donors. I know not all photoshopping is bad, but this is by far the most I have ever seen an animal changed. Did you happen to watch the videos? Especially the shorthorn!!

DLD

I watched the videos - and yes, that roan cow is pretty hard to look at on the move.  Like I said, I can't say if the photo's were doctored or not.  All I'm saying is that a really good photographer knows how to get the best out of a cow (or bull or calf), and sometimes even an un-doctored photo can look way different than a video (or a live animal). 

Either way, it sure makes you think twice about buying cattle you can't see in person.

sizzler14

also makes me think twice about breeding to the bulls these guys promote and their promotional pics!

SKF

As a photographer and someone who knows photoshop well I see a lot of pictures of cattle that have been photoshopped. Some are real good but, there are some pictures that are so awful that it is ridiculous. Taking a picture at the right angle can make an okay calf look like a high dollar calf. After watching that video of that shorthorn you would have to be a magician with the camera to get that cow to look that level. Leveling out a top line, adding depth and cleaning up a neck are common things you will see done with cattle in photoshop. It's an unfortunate thing that is done all the time and its not just with cattle. Its not hard to spot when you have a video that shows such a drastic difference in the structure of the calf. I saw one a couple months ago on facebook someone had posted and it was a steer where they tried to give the calf basically a whole new front end unfortunately they forgot the shadow and did a horrible job matching the front with the rest of the calf. Then I saw a smokey calf where the accidently cloned some grass on his nice new neck. Like I said some are easy to spot and others have done a great job and its hard to notice. I wish people would stop using photoshop to alter the appearance of a calf. Its a great tool to improve a picture by adjusting color, taking a halter off, remove mud or snot and cleaning up the background and that's all it should be used for.

sue

While I agree with DLD - I just happened to click on Dakota's link and wanted to say that is my neighbor's bull. I just looked at him last weekend and while I dont breed for clubby - this calf is sound and would photo really well slicked out. He has some of that "vision" shoulder but sure travels well. I thought for "clubby" maybe a deeper heeled bull then most. Again I dont own this bull . There are  probably  50  different sons of JPJ out there to use too. I would take anyone over to see Beer Money and his calves. He seems to be working, two calf crops on the ground. I realize it's about "hair " but this fella is sound too.