Bad day...

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Well, I thought today was getting off to a good start, cow in heat & a little warmer temps. When I went out to do chores tonight, my little red calf that was born last week was dead.  We figure that since the one cow was in heat, the others were trying to ride & her & the little one either got trampled or kicked. Really a bad way to end a Sunday. :(
Momma cow is balling like crazy trying to find her calf.
Hope everyone else's day went bertter.
Red the sad

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
That's terrible, is that the little calf that is on your blog?

Sorry to hear, I am sure things will go better.

red

Yes, the little one with the coats. She was a little slow moving still, guess she just couldn't keep out of their way fast enough. It's as my husband says, always expect anything when raising cattle.
Thanks,
Red

Telos

Red, I'm so sorry. So many things are just out of our control.
My heart goes out to you.  Jack

DL

Ah Red I am so sorry about your baby - I know how much you liked her, sometimes life just sucks. What a shame, DL

shortdawg

I'm sorry for your loss ! I was told once that the only way you are not going to lose any is if you don't have any. Living is a part of dying and dying is a part of living . Cheer up that other red one is going to make you proud. :(

genes

I'm sorry Red.  It's such a shame when these crazy things happen.  Good luck with the rest of them.

red

garybob said:
Cool thing is, you've got a cow that cycles back that fast. All is not lost, by a long  shot.

Yes, Gary- the calf would have been a 1/2 sib to the cow that was in heat. Great genetics.
We question if the calf was really right from the beginning. She never had any spark & just laid down most of the time. Not like the other calf that is charging around all the time.
Red