Barn gossip

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

Some have had their county fairs while others are will be in the next week or so. And every year there is the hot topic in the barn. Not to perpetuate gossip but how about sharing the funny, stupid or inaccurate things said in the barn.

red

we don't have our fair until after Labor Day. the biggest gossip is always "How much did they spend?" It seems that each year the amount one family spends gets bigger & bigger w/ each win. I think last year the rumor had it close to 25K. Always gets a little humorous.
One of my favorite is also some of the outfits the girls show in. Some of the tops are getting lower cut each time. We had one that showed in tight leather pants one year. That's always fun waiting to see who tops who.

Red

ELBEE

Red, ours was the sheep show. A young lady, I hope at least 18, was showing in a tank top that must have come direct from Victory's..I still have black & blue marks on my ribs from my wifes elbow. I got to get me some of those dark, reflective shades!

red

(lol) Elbee!

I've even heard of girls stuffing their bras before a show! Honest, they think it will get them a couple places higher!

kanshow

It will be interesting to see what the trend will be this year.      We've seen some pretty low cut jeans at our fair and TShirts that had to be painted on.    My parents came to watch out kids show last year and all my mom could talk about was how revealing some of the clothes were. 

afhm

Sounds like most of the fairs need to put in a dress code like the Iowa junior cattle association has for their shows.  A collared shirt buttoned and tucked in at all times if you want your points.  Or do like the junior nationals and some state fairs and issue t-shirts for the kids to show in.

Jill

Our county went to a county T-Shirt, I think they charge $5.00 and everyone has to wear one to show.

kanshow

I think a county Tshirt would be great.. but who would get to pick the size! LOL! 

red

I'm sure some of the girls would cut them off at midriff!  Got to have that belly button showing!

Red

farmboy

i havent read all the replys, but i have a very funny barn story....

Me and my buds was sittin around and I had to go back to my box for something. In the process of walking over there I saw something furry sticking out of my blower hose....and it was moving. I ran and got there and grabbed it by the tail and yanked it out....it was a ferrit. Yes, a ferrit. A FIRST PLACE ferrit from the pet show that morning. I took it back to my freinds and just held it out ;D that has been the talk of my freinds for two years. Apperently the poor little thing got of his leish and thought he would explore my blower, imagine turning on ur blower and a ferrit comes flying out...The owners came over and thanked me for catchin' him and gave me 5 bucks ;D  ;D ;D

red

Shortdawg, actually had the mother of the girl that did it tell me. Her daughter felt the more endowed girls were getting picked so she tried an experiment. claimed she got first place. Now I happen to know they also had an awesome heifer that deserved first place. Just thought it was so funny that a mother would be talking about it.

Red

Clubcalfshowgirl

At our prospect shows everyone is in short sleve or long selve button up or like a  nice shirt and jeans and boots , at our county fair and state fair  all 4-h and ffa members have to be in offical dress for show time.

Show Heifer

Like afhm said, Iowa has a dress code for the IJBBA. I THINK it stemmed from several years ago when a judge from down south came up to judge... He took the show committe aside and said if he wanted to see naked girls he would go to a strip club, and to get this clothing thing under control NOW. So they did. I can remember when I showed at county we had t-shirts we ordered before the fair.  Think they were around $5. Also had to wear jeans, and leather boots/shoes.

Honest story: Was helping a sheep family getting started in showing....they were doing well, but nothing great, after a weekend sale in a distant town, the FATHER came to me and said "guess what? We got Sally (not her real name) a push up bra and some new cloths to show in. Go on, Sally put on your clothes and show her."  Sally came out in a LOW (and I mean LOW) cut knit shirt that I swear you could not only see through, but was about 3 sizes too small, and her jeans were below her waist by INCHES,  and were shrink wrapped to her. She then pushed out her chest and said, "see how the bra helps?".... The father went on to say that a 23 year old (who is a known slime ball) told him how hot his daughter was and on and on." The father was SO PROUD.  HIS DAUGHTER WAS 11.  He said that would give her the "edge".
I told him I could no longer help him and left immediately.  How sad and pathetic.
For that reason, I LOVE DRESS CODES!!!!!

The hot gossip at our fair: Would the bulls show up that were in the running to be at the PBR national finals in Vegas? And what would they look like?    Well, yes they did, and they looked amazenly small, but frisky (not mean).
The other hot topic was why bull owners collect young bulls so young that the conception rate their first year sucks. Bull in question will not be named, but I have thought the same many times when someone uses the "big up and coming" bull that has trouble collecting and when they finally do collect, it isn't worth a darn!!

red

Show Hef- I just knew you'd have a good story to tell! 11 years old! Do they have anything to push up at that age? Gads!

Red

Show Dad

We have our share of clothing issues each year like many it has been how low the neckline or pants go. We have also the girls who wear flip flops in the barn. But the one that tops them all was the kid with spiked blue hair. His looked better than his steer.

ShortyJ13

oh gosh, dont get me started on clothing...
this is coming from a teenage girl ok.
it seems like every show i go to, almost (not ALL) but almost all the girls are in low rise jeans low cut shirts, tank tops. & even un-buttoning their show shirts!! the whole bit. AND IM EMBARESSED FOR THEM! the way i see it, when i go into the show ring im trying to impress the judge by looking professional and like i actually do work in a barn. not by being 'hot'. i remember at our spring state fair, another girl i show with and i were in levi's, boots, and t-shirts...just normal clothes, working on our cattle, when this group of girls in hot pink lace cami's, high heels , & belt buckles to top it all off walked by and just looked at us like.. "ewe"  -lol- i was thinking "your the crazy ones, your in a cow barn not the mall!"... i just think it's stupid..

cattlenuts

What do you think about people that use fake hair at county shows and have professional fitters come in a fit their cattle?  How about drugging their cattle with illegal drugs and then telling everyone about it.  No Joke.  If you say anything they threaten to black ball your kid.  Sometimes I wonder why we show when people like this are involved.  It doesn't matter if you have good cattle it matters if you have good connections. There are so many good hard working families out there.  We love to meet them at shows.  Then you have these low life big breeders that forget where they come from and how they got their start.  They sell their sole to win a banner at a County Fair.  How about the judges that help them along the way.  Most of these breeders will not take their cattle to a show unless a judge that will help them is judging.  Its life I know and it is everywhere, but it makes me Sick!  When will all of us hard working honest people get our chance?  When will we all stand up and say enough is enough?  Do we even have the power to do this or will we always take a back seat?
I guess I am just plan disgusted right now.

red

I'm sorry this happened at your fair. sometimes people forget that it's for the kids & the kids need to learn the right way to do things.

Red

ShortyJ13

amen cattlenuts

it makes me so mad!. we hardly go to our own county fair anymore due to this. mr.smith (name changed) is a breeder and pays big bucks on his animals. well he keeps them in the barn all year long except for certain fairs. the kids that show for mr.smith never even see their animals untill that night. and of course these animals are cared for 24/7 in a personal barn with a 'team' so to speak working on their show quality. of course no ones going to beat them! now i know this goes on all the time but i just dont think it's fair. i mean there are kids giving all they have in their own barn, when you have other kids come up.. pick an animal off a trailor, show it, put it back, and walk away with the blue ribbon that they dont deserve.... you cant tell me thats fair.