BCS what?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OKshorthorn

Jeff_Schroeder said:
They both like to run hurry up/no huddle offenses and both have just about the same run/pass ratio.  I brought up that comparison in reply to a comment about the tempo, which both teams are pretty similar in.  Their defenses are both similarly weak.

I would like to point out that both the FEI and S&P have Arkansas' defense ranked 53rd.

JSchroeder

You made a comment about how stats don't mean anything on the previous page and now you're going all football outsiders on us?  Not only that, but you are cherry picking which of their methodologys to use.

You know that in their other rating that LSU and Alabama are in an absolute league of their own and teams like Temple, Toldeo, and Tulsa are a closer match to OSU than OSU is to LSU and Alabama?

How about mentioning the fact that the system you cite for OSU being the #1 defense has LSU at #2 BUT also has LSU's "inept" and "one dimensional" offense ranked #8 vs #19 for OSU?

pjkjr4

Really? You would want to fire a guy that went undefeated during the regular season and loses the National Title Game?? Come on....who would you get to replace him? I bet the line would be shorter than you think.
That's like the idiot sooner fans around here that wanted Stoops, Venables, and Norvell fired after this season was over.
[.

If I were on the board at LSU Miles would have been looking for a job first thing this morning.  Personally I hope they let Michigan have him!
[/quote]

JSchroeder

pjkjr4, just to be clear, I have nothing against OSU other than pity that you guys have to continue to deal with the dysfunction of the Big XII.  Short of Aggies and Longhorns, I easily deal with more OSU grads than anything else and don't know of a bad one.  I think it's pretty darn nice they took the Big XII but beyond that, I'm going to roll my eyes at a team that lost to a 6-7 team claiming they had a legitimate shot at the national title.

TYD

I am a diehard wvu fan but I do have to stick up for Lsu being there after the butt kicking their defense put on us and beating three top 5 teams I really thought they would be ready for this game Bama proved that they are #1 to me

OKshorthorn

I only brought football outsiders in the picture because of the nations view of OSU's defense is only what ESPN tells you it is. Comparing LSU's offense and OSU's offense is perfectly fine with me, its proves my point. LSU's offense is thought to be dismal, and you bring up they have them ranked #8 and OSU's 19th. I'm not naive enough to believe that OSU has a top 10 defense, but I think it is fairly obvious that we don't have the 103rd best defense in the country. I watched every down they played this year, and I honestly think they are around the 20th best defense in the nation.

I agree that we should have not lost the Iowa State game. Considering everything that happened that day, and the emotional rollor coaster they all experienced, i'm proud of how hard they played. If your sole reason for Alabama to be awarded a rematch with a team they already lost to on their home field is because OSU lost to Iowa State, then there is not arguement for that. Thats your opinion. It is what it is.

ruhtram

pjkjr4 said:
Let me start out by saying that I'm a life-long oSu fan. No doubt the 2 best defenses were playing last night. But at what point do you have to think about some offensive ineptitude? Alabama was able to move the ball because they spread it around. LSU did the typical Les Miles thing. The kept running the ball between the 2 tackles (which is how you beat speed.....run right at them) pretty much the entire night, with the exception of a few option plays (went nowhere) and trying to pass when they were in those predictable situations. Thant being said, if oSu were to have squeaked in that game against LSU, we could have had some success in my opinion, just because of the offense we have, and the tempo that they play.

Mack Brown had a quote going into halftime of the Holiday bowl that UT was in that I loved. The game was pretty low scoring, due to pretty bad offense by both teams. When the reporter asked him what adjustments they were going to make to try and get things going in the 2nd half, he replied with "If this were an SEC game, you guys would be bragging on how great the defenses are!"

Yes, defense wins championships, but defense can't win championships by itself.

Basically defense and special teams won Bama a championship last night....No offense except it controlled the speed of the game and got a touchdown at the end when bama already had control of the game

JSchroeder

No, I don’t agree one bit that LSU's offense is "thought to be dismal".  You guys are the first ones I've heard say that and I'm really interested in where that idea comes from if it doesn't come from watching them against one of the best defenses of the past decade.  They're typically good for right around 40 points a game.  That's far from dismal.

LSU went through plenty of tough situations this year as well.  Situations that prevented star players from even playing.

forcheyhawk

Regardless of who you think should have been there - the fact of the matter is not many people were watching.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/espns-alabama-lsu-draws-lowest-ever-bcs-title-rating/1

I would have at least watched ANY other matchup.  Bama and LSU just didn't interest me at all and so I didn't bother watching.  It sounds like I didn't miss anything nor was I alone in not watching.  I would bet that TV ratings will figure in heavily the next time two teams from the same conference are considered to be paired up for a BCS Championship game.

OKshorthorn

Jordon Jefferson is a horrific quarterback. He can not throw the ball effectively against any defense with a pulse. A team with a quarterback of that cailber is pretty dismal in my opinion. People don't run the wishbone anymore.

knabe

Redwine Cattle said:
Jordon Jefferson is a horrific quarterback. He can not throw the ball effectively against any defense with a pulse. A team with a quarterback of that cailber is pretty dismal in my opinion. People don't run the wishbone anymore.

was tebow better?

how much did LSU offense benefit from turnovers and field position?  to me, their best player was never used on offense.

OKshorthorn

knabe said:
Redwine Cattle said:

was tebow better?

how much did LSU offense benefit from turnovers and field position?  to me, their best player was never used on offense.

Absolutely Tebow was better. His throwing mechanics were awful I'm college but somewhat effective, while he was always comfortable in the backfield. He is also a starting quarterback in the NFL, although extensive changes to his mechanics will help him in the long run, it's taking awhile to get there.

Jordon Jefferson is Jamarcus Russell part 2. Outstanding athlete, below average quarterback at that level

JSchroeder

In your opinion, how did they score ~40 points in 11 of their 14 games with that inept, one dimensional, dismal, offense run by a below average, horrific quarterback and a guy who wasn't even good enough to start over him?

Davis Shorthorns

I still dont know how people can say that the SEC is the best conference in the nation?  Now the best division with Ark, Aub, ALABAM, LSU.  Most definatly but top to bottom I say no way.  Also does anyone think that the Big 12 D's are "WORSE" against the pass because we have teams like Tech, OSU, OU, Baylor, A&M, MIZZU, etc...  After the SEC's top 3 I might even give you top 4 then what???  Big 12 put 80% of teams in bowls this year.  and was 1 win away from 90. 

JSchroeder

If you compare the AP ranking of the Big XII #1 vs SEC #1, Big XII #2 vs SEC #2, all the way through the ten teams the Big XII has (using aggregate computer ranking for the teams that aren’t ranked or RV), the SEC comes out on top 8 of 10 times.

And yes, I do think the Big XII’s defenses are worse against the pass.  The teams that are capable of running that fast paced hybrid spread type offense while maintaining some sort of defensive integrity are few and far between.  Think OU in their most dominant years.

Big 12 put 80% of teams in bowls this year.  and was 1 win away from 90.

That's a function of OOC success and how evenly matched a conference is.  The Big XII was a lot more wide open this year than normal and it allowed a lot of teams to pull out more wins.  For example, if OSU had taken care of business at Iowa State, the Big XII would have had a national title game participant but only seven bowl teams.

The SEC had 9 teams qualify for bowls this year, 75%.  There were also 2 teams one win away from being at nearly 92%.  Ole Miss and Kansas were the only two absolute duds in either conference this year.

husker1

O.k....I gotta chime in...I "think" I know college football.

Several points.

1. First and Foremost...OSU blew the chance for a championship game one evening in Ames...Simply can not lose to a mediocre team with a losing record and make the big show.  I agree there were tough circumstances, but they still lost...

2.  LSU's quarterback did look very poor in this game.  When he tried to run the option, I think my 9 year old could've looked better...UGLY!  Can't believe they didn't give the 2nd qb a chance.

3.  Alabama's defense is good...darn good.  Some of dominance was due to the fact that the LSU offense looked inept...yes, inept.  LSU did not impress me one little bit on offense.

4.  Alabama's offense is an average-solid college offense...they score points, but, aside from one player, don't put the fear of God in any D.C.'s eyes.  (Richardson is a stud)  Both team's defenses make thier offenses look better.

5.  I'll be honest, I have not watched these teams alot this year, but LSU's star-studded secondary was less than impressive in this game.

6.  A missed extra point???? Come on...

7.  Back to Okie Light...Fabulous offense, great year...Weeden is a very good passing QB...and what can Blackmon not do???  He's the man.  Gotta shore up the defense to get to the show...might need to win that 17-10 game sometime. 

Gotta love college football; brings out the expert  in all of us!

OKshorthorn

Jeff_Schroeder said:
In your opinion, how did they score ~40 points in 11 of their 14 games with that inept, one dimensional, dismal, offense run by a below average, horrific quarterback and a guy who wasn't even good enough to start over him?

It baffles me that you are defending Jefferson as a quality quarterback...have you seen him play this year?

They only scored 40 points in 9 of 14 games. In the last 7 games, including the MNC, Jefferson averaged 95 passing yards a game. I can't remember when he became the starter again, but it looks like it may have been the last 4 games of the regular season and the MNC, using only those games, he averaged 109 passing yards a game. The guy who should have started IMO never saw the field during the MNC, but he honestly wasnt much of a threat either.

Forgive me for thinking that a team that averages somewhere close to a 150 yards a game in PASSING yards, is somewhat inept in that area.

JSchroeder

Redwine, where did I defend Jefferson as a quality QB?  I asked you how their inept, one dimensional, dismal offense with a below average, horrific QB and another guy that couldn’t start over him scored 35+ points per game 11 times out of 14 games.  Granted, half their schedule wasn’t against passing sub-100 passing defenses like OSU, but scoring 40 points in nine games is nothing to sniff at.

In the last 7 games, including the MNC, Jefferson averaged 95 passing yards a game.

They also averaged 44.4 points in the five of those seven games that weren't against the top ranked defense in the nation.  I can understand why, arguing from the perspective of OSU, you would think the quality of the QB is the same thing as the quality of the offense.  However, just like the stats you yourself posted from FO, there's an awful lot more to it than that.

Personally, I think you folks are basing your entire opinion of the LSU offense on what they did against the top defense in the nation.  So correct me, what ARE you basing your opinion of their offense on?

twistedhshowstock

pjkjr4 said:
Really? You would want to fire a guy that went undefeated during the regular season and loses the National Title Game?? Come on....who would you get to replace him? I bet the line would be shorter than you think.
That's like the idiot sooner fans around here that wanted Stoops, Venables, and Norvell fired after this season was over.
[.

If I were on the board at LSU Miles would have been looking for a job first thing this morning.  Personally I hope they let Michigan have him!
[/quote]

I absolutely would fire Les Miles.  He is as bad a coach as Jefferson is a quarterback.  I dont think you can give Les Miles credit for being undefeated this yr.I think you have to give that credit to his recruiters.  This LSU team is STACKED, I mean their 3rd and 4th strings are as good as many of the nations 1st strings, with that kind of talent on the field it doesnt take much of a coach to win, and Les Miles still manages to screw it up.  He handed Bama this National Championship on a platter, didnt change the game any from their first match up this yr, and sure  Jefferson only real talent is avaoiding the pass rush, but you cant blame him for the loss, Miles is the one that had the power to take him out and put one of his other 2 pretty good QBs in.  Lee by the way was the QB in all but 4 of those 13-0 wins, not Jefferson. Miles is riding on Nick Sabans coat tails here.  Nick Saban came to LSU and created a dynasty that has tremendous recruiting power, Miles came in and won a National Champpionship with a team that Saban coached.  A national Chamionship is won in a single season so I still give Saban credit for that. And with the recruiting power that Sabans dynasty created at LSU, that team has been so stacked the past several years that Miles should have had way more National Champs, but he cant coach so it doesnt happen.  I wouldnt even hire Les Miles to coach a high school team.  Not getting on the board Monday night is totally on Miles, he saw a QB that wasnt even getting past mid field, yet he never took him out, Jefferson was lost, but his coach didnt save him, all on the coach then.