Beet Pulp

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

I have a question from a previous post about beet pulp adding to show feed?

How much and when do you feed it?
Is it more productive to feed it all the time with feed?  I have heard some just feed it 2-3 weeks before showing because it is more effective this way?  How much is to little or much to feed?  I was told to feed it dry because it will expand in the calves gut and if you feed it wet it will lose all of its effectiveness?  Any answers would be helpful.

justme

we feed it wet...backed off on it wet right now because its gotten cold and my old hands cann't take it.

minimoo38

beet pulp is usually fed as a filler for show calves. it has some protein, but not a lot. if you need it to expand the calf's guts, feed it dry, but only on the show morning, otherwise it will cause sore mouth, as it is so rough.

for a filler, we soak it in a bucket overnight. experiment with different amounts to see how much your calf will eat. for a full ration, it's usually 1-2 lbs of dry that triples in size to 5-6 lbs, with water weight

chambero

The answer is it depends.

We generally feed it dry unless they won't eat it.  We have fed it wet in the past for some that don't like it.

Generally, its best for an animal you are wanting to slow down on growth/weight gain but still need to keep full.  A typical amount for a 900-1200 lb animal is 3 scoops feed, 1 scoop pulp (3 lb feed scoops).  Again, that is for one you are wanting to slow down.  We fed a Champion Maine steer in Houston that way from the day we got him in May till he showed in March.

If you are trying to hold one right before a show, you can feed him 1/2 pulp and 1/2 feed if he'll eat it that way.  Your best fill is going to come from hay though.

Beet pulp is also very good for tightening a loose calf up.  When you are really trying to push one with lots of fat added to feed, a little pulp thrown in can help tighten one up.  It also adds enough roughage that can help avoid rumen upsets from too much corn.  We have one steer we've fed it to all year this year.  He eats it fine so we feed it dry.  Right now he's eating about 4 scoops of finisher and 1 scoop of pulp.

Jill

Chambero is correct, beet pulp is a filler and most people make the mistake of thinking that they need it just because everyone else feeds it, just remember the more beet pulp they eat the less feed they are consuming.  If we are in the grow phase, we don't feed any beet pulp, in that case I want them to consume as much feed as I can push in them.  We have heifers that are starting to develope fat pockets that we are wanting to slow down, we feed 1/4-1/3 beet pulp depending on how fat they are getting.  zOur calves are on free choice brome hay and that is where the roughage comes from.  We have always fed it dry, our calves love it, haven't ever had one balk at eating it dry,  I have friends that only feed it wet and feel that is the best way to go, do what works best for you.

shorthornboy

beet pulp has a cooling effect thus hair growth. Lots of fiber not good for steers wanting to gain. 20-40% of ration should be beet pulp. Great product