Believe In Me

Help Support Steer Planet:

b_kackley

I have seen some out of simxangus cows some commercial angus and even one with a little Hereford in it. They all looked good. He seemed to work well on a variety of cows. I will say that these calves ranged from 400 to 600 pounds and I have not seen any mature ones.

JasonNCC

I'm a pretty big fan of Believe In Me.
I have used him on a variety of cows and it had a lot of success.
Typically I use him on purebred Angus or Sim/Angus cows.
Have also seen him on a Brangus cow and it made a Champion American.
I have a neighbor that uses him exclusively on Hoodoo Charolais and it works pretty good for him

chambero

There are about 50 questions I'd ask about a club calf bull before birth weight.  You can have an occasional big one out of any of them.  I'm going on 20 years of breeding cows to these kinds of bulls and I pulled my second calf out of a mature cow this past fall.  I know its a little worse up north, but if you are going to breed these things don't worry so much about it.

BIMs are late bloomers.  More pretty as baby calves than stout, but tend to turn on the gas when they hit 1000 lbs and fill out.  From what I can tell, they are actually likely to get big enough out of black cows to win shows (relative to many other black bulls).

There is a real issue with BIM (and his brother on Walks Alone) on attitude.  I call it more "nervousness" than meanness.  I've fed a bunch of Walks Alones and I've never had one I'd call calm.  I have a pretty good BIM I raised in the barn this year that I could not show at Fort Worth because he stays so nervous he craps all over himself constantly if you are messing with him (very, very extreme).  The Grand steer at Fort Worth was a BIM and he got away twice during class.

If it wasn't for the attitude issue, I'd probably use BIM and Walks alone darned near exclusively.  I did not use either much this year, and am worried I'll regret it.

Tallcool1

chambero said:
BIMs are late bloomers.  More pretty as baby calves than stout, but tend to turn on the gas when they hit 1000 lbs and fill out.  From what I can tell, they are actually likely to get big enough out of black cows to win shows (relative to many other black bulls).

There is a real issue with BIM (and his brother on Walks Alone) on attitude.  I call it more "nervousness" than meanness.  I've fed a bunch of Walks Alones and I've never had one I'd call calm.  I have a pretty good BIM I raised in the barn this year that I could not show at Fort Worth because he stays so nervous he craps all over himself constantly if you are messing with him (very, very extreme).  The Grand steer at Fort Worth was a BIM and he got away twice during class.

If it wasn't for the attitude issue, I'd probably use BIM and Walks alone darned near exclusively.  I did not use either much this year, and am worried I'll regret it.

I believe this is a really good bull review from what we have seen.

We have a BIM in the barn this year.  The heavier he gets the better he gets.  He weighed 925 this past weekend and he is starting to turn into something special.  Now, the bad news, we have not gotten this steer showed yet.  I believe we will, but it will be a very tense couple of days to get it pulled off.  He isn't mean at all, but nervous is an understatement.  I told my boys we would have to take him off grain 2 days before we show him just to keep him from crapping all over the place.

Timber1

Completely agree with Chambero. We just finished with a BIM and he was exactly how they are described. Not mean or crazy but really nervous all the time. Was scared to death he was going to get loose during show at fair. Kept him on melatonin all the time and it seemed to help and loaded him up with Focus during fair. He came on strong at the end and won Grand as well as rate of gain.

cowpoke

Chambero description is exactly how I would describe the BIMs I have had.Great hair ,nice sized,style to burn, and some just don't want to be in the spotlight.One of the best calves I  have ever seen went to the feedlot and when he was finished he was a knockout.

irh

We have a BIM heifer we're showing this year and yes, she is a nervous heifer in the ring.  We had a Walks Alone steer that was nuts, good hamburger though!!  We have a Walks this way steer, that craps constantly when we work with him, and had a Walks this Way heifer that was nuts.  So, our son says Walk Away from breeding to these bulls!!

DSC

I agree with the statements above. They are real pretty as calves and come on strong the more mature they get. I also agree with them being real nervous not mean but nervous. We sold quite a few of the BIM's this year but had a few that had to go to the sale barn as they were just to nervous to try and let kids show them. Turned out they were probably the best two calves we had the opportunity to sell this year. 

Buck

We had a couple cast year that we were able to get out to good homes. During the breaking process we had 1 that wasn't bad but just a little "nervous". We led him, washed and clipped him and I thought he would be fine. When the new owners got him he just progressively got worse and was taken to the processor. We had another (our best steer) that is a "puppy dog". We have a smoking good heifer this time out of a wmw x angus cow. We are scheduled to wean next week and start breaking shortly there after. We will keep you posted on how that goes. I will be sick if it doesn't work out with her.

Buck

I should have finished the last post with this statement. We have had 8 or 10 out of him the past two years and he will give you everything you are looking for in a "club calf" sire but the disposition.

RBS1977

Just bought a BIM a few weeks ago and he is something special. He has the same disposition everyone is describing, very nervous but getting better everyday.  I am more excited on everyone's comments on how they only get better with age

ROMAX

How does he compare to Walks Alone? Will he make them as stout but smoother? I have had a bunch of WA calves and I'm pretty sure he would stouten up a jersey,but they all had big shoulders.