Belt Buckle Bonanza

Help Support Steer Planet:

BIGTEX

Does anyone know if numbers were down. I saw the heifer show on Saturday and it seemed liked no one was there. Chambero, how did your boys do? Was it a good steer show? Hope ya'll did well.

aggiegal

We showed a heifer and 2 steers.  It seemed to me that the steer numbers were down slightly from last year.  We were in the main barn and had an almost empty aisle across from us.  It was full last year.  This was our first year to show heifers, do don't know how it compared to last year.  Waiting on Ring B to start when a breed finished in A, wasn't a lot of fun.  We finished with our breed in A, to have to stand and wait for 2 full breeds to finish in Ring B.  We didn't get home until 2 AM last night.  Still love it though!  :p

steermomintx

aggiegal said:
We showed a heifer and 2 steers.  It seemed to me that the steer numbers were down slightly from last year.  We were in the main barn and had an almost empty aisle across from us.  It was full last year.   This was our first year to show heifers, do don't know how it compared to last year.  Waiting on Ring B to start when a breed finished in A, wasn't a lot of fun.  We finished with our breed in A, to have to stand and wait for 2 full breeds to finish in Ring B.  We didn't get home until 2 AM last night.  Still love it though!  :p
How did you do??

chambero

We drug in last night about 12:30.  Very long day.

The A-B ring difference in time was a nightmare.  We showed three steers and had all three either in the ring or holding areas all at once from about noon till 6 I think.  Two of our calves laid down on us in the B ring.

This is my son's first time to show at the Buckle.  Several years since I'd been, but everybody thoughr it was down a little.  Still had 10-15 hd in every steer class nearly (or more), three to four classes per breed.

My son's day was mixed.  Stood 4th (B) 5th (A) with Angus in pretty tough classes of around 12 I think.  We were satisfied with that result.  He's a late Oct and held his own against bigger calves.  I wouldn't trade him for the class winner.

Took a whipping with Shorthorn - actually next to last.  Our calf has a lot of muscle, but is getting too tall and tight flanked.  Looked bad against the short dumpy ones.  I would have placed him a lot higher than that, but so be it.  Didn't show in B due toconflict with Limi in A.  A couple of real good ones in his class.  This is the calf I had posted a photo of earlier this year.  We showed one of his momma's babies a couple of years ago and he grew "up" early in life and then quit.  Maybe that'll happen with this one.  If not, he'll taste good.

We took a limi that got lots of attention in the barn.  Not so much in the ring.  Still scratching my head.  Stood 7th in both (for sure B, I was too hacked off to count in A).  The calf looked a little tall and probably not fat enough.  In hindsight I got him up too early and he got hot and felt bad.   When we went in the ring, I thought he'd land 2nd.  Shows what I know.  Still pretty disappointed in result.

Best part was my 9 year old showed his pants off - especially in Ring B with very tired gripey calves.  They wouldn't stand still for very long in B, but he used good judgement on when to circle them and when to stick them considering their state of mind.  Those poor calves were worn flat worn out.  My 6 year old had to help me fit because mom and other son had to stay in ring area.  He blew till his arm was ready to fall off.

It's a great show.

shortdawg

Man, I love to hear about those young kids putting hard work into their projects. Congrats on your kids and how they performed. Sounds like the calves will hold their own.

aggiegal

I thought the Limi's were VERY good this year...so I wouldn't be disappointed with your placings.  The top half of the classes were tough to get around.
We stood 5th and 6th with both steers and I wasn't disappointed.  We had a brangus and a simmi.  There were 11 in the class.  They are both later born calves and didn't have the hair or condition to compete at the top, but they needed to get out.  The kids did well getting them shown.
Our daughter had Reserve Breed Champion with her Red Brangus heifer (out of the youngest class), so we were pretty excited about that.  She's a Dec. born calf and still very green but showed very well for only her second show!  She was Reserve overall at her first show, so we can't complain.  She's her scramble heifer and our daughter is having a great time with her.

shortdawg

How were the judges ? I was looking through one of the show magazines and realized I knew one of them.

chambero

I don't remember his name, but I didn't like the judge from North Carolina - at least his reasons.  I don't know what he was seeing.  He would talk structure as being important but the calves he would discount in that regard were better made and moving than the ones he didn't mention.  For example, he cited our Angus calf for lack of structural soundness compared to the class winners - and I've never thought of him as having any problems.  In the other ring, our calf was praised as the most structurally sound calf in the top end.  I forget who the second judge was as well.

Both judges found the best calves though and the placings were fairly similar in both rings.

steermomintx

Congratulations chambro and aggiegal!!!!!!!

Sounds like you both have alot to be proud of, remember the major shows are what counts. (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

NHR

I told myself last year we would never go back to the Belt Buckle or the Fall Classic. Well we went this year just for more punishement. Things look better for us. We usually do bad at these 2 shows and then do real good at the Texas majors. I will take the majors over these 2 jackpot shows on steriods any day.

gocanes719

NHR said:
I told myself last year we would never go back to the Belt Buckle or the Fall Classic. Well we went this year just for more punishement. Things look better for us. We usually do bad at these 2 shows and then do real good at the Texas majors. I will take the majors over these 2 jackpot shows on steriods any day.
I don't think you can complain with where your heifer stood.  I thought the heifers were judged very well myself.

afhm

Heard through the grapevine that there was some controversy after the steer show, any thuth to it?

shortdawg

We have shown under the judge from NC and had Reserve Breed Champion so I can't complain too much about him. That is the only time we've ever shown under him and the only time I've ever seen him judge. I met him later on at another show; I didn't dare talk to him at the show he judged b/c I'm on a School Board where his brother is Superintendent. I didn't want to be accused of politicking b/c I don't care for that kind of stuff. His brother judges a good bit as well and has judged San Antonio before.

NHR

gocanes719 said:
NHR said:
I don't think you can complain with where your heifer stood.  I thought the heifers were judged very well myself.

Not complaining, just hoping that the trend of not winning at the belt buckle means we win our class at the majors as in previous years. 2nd place is the best we have ever placed at the buckle or fall classic. Which shorthorn heifer did you have there? How did you place?

gocanes719

afhm said:
Heard through the grapevine that there was some controversy after the steer show, any thuth to it?

I think it was pretty obvious some stuff was going on in ring A.  Ring A and B were totally different.  The Champion Maine and 3rd overall in ring B was 4th in class in ring A.

BIGTEX

I never did well at the Belt Buckle, and I am talking about 20 years ago. We always did better in the majors. On another note, It was my first time to see Ryan Rash judge, he gave great reasons, but was he twice as fast  as the judge in Ring A. It made for alot of down time. Back to Rash, I almost fell over when I heard him start giving reasons. I sure this is not new news I just had no idea. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:)))

chambero

I didn't get to see hardly any of the champion drives and have no idea who won the overalls.  We packed up and headed home as soon as we got done.  Who wound up winning?  I did like the Robinson girl's Charolais.  I really like a lot of the light and medium weight class winners that probably didn't get a piece of their breed champions.  There was a heck of a Limi shown by the Schauer kid in Class 2.

Jill

BIGTEX said:
I never did well at the Belt Buckle, and I am talking about 20 years ago. We always did better in the majors. On another note, It was my first time to see Ryan Rash judge, he gave great reasons, but was he twice as fast  as the judge in Ring A. It made for alot of down time. Back to Rash, I almost fell over when I heard him start giving reasons. I sure this is not new news I just had no idea. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:)))

I could listen to Ryan Rash give reasons all day long (and never have to look back at the class), he is IMO the best in the business when it comes to that.