Best County Fairs

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohio1

JTM said:
Preble county open shows are this Sunday. We will be there with a couple heifers. It's a drive in show so come on out!  It should be one heck of a day. The Preble County Cattleman's first steer show will be in the evening with the Grand Champion bringing in $1500!!! Only steers bought in the PCC sale from last year are eligible for this show. The next sale is scheduled for September 22,2012.

I agree that Darke county is a great fair all around. The competition in Darke and Preble have been fairly even over the years in my opinion. Both very good...
Do you know if they will be selling heifers this year?

JY

Montgomery County in Conroe Texas always has good cattle but on top of that the Grand Steer brought $65,000 this year. That was a record but in the past they have brought $50,000  and $36,000. Not bad for a county.

Ohioteerchick

Ross County Ohio, there's at least 3 families that go back and forth on Grand and Reserve. Then you have the backstabbers who are only in it to keep you from just having a Good time.

cpratz

Payne County (Stillwater, Ok) has the toughest hfr show in the state. At OYE our county had 7 or 8 breed champions and have had the Grand Hfr the last two years. Griswolds, Euchee Creek, and Fuss all show hfrs at our county.

farmboy

Ohiosteerchick said:
Ross County Ohio, there's at least 3 families that go back and forth on Grand and Reserve. Then you have the backstabbers who are only in it to keep you from just having a Good time.

Neff County Fair.

PSC

ours at darke co range from 1290 to 1330  last class of middle wt to first class of heavy wt

CAB

What about Clay county Fair, Spenser, Iowa advertised as the largest county fair in the nation?  ;)

hamburgman

In Iowa for county fairs Clay county is the largest but it is commercialized.  For largest county fair non-commercialized (not for profit in this case) Plymouth I believe takes the cake.  Rough figures are round 100 cattle, 200 pigs (around 20 years ago they had over 600), 150 lambs, 285 chickens, 100 rabbits, 40 goats. 

J

JTM

LD said:
JTM said:
Preble county open shows are this Sunday. We will be there with a couple heifers. It's a drive in show so come on out!  It should be one heck of a day. The Preble County Cattleman's first steer show will be in the evening with the Grand Champion bringing in $1500!!! Only steers bought in the PCC sale from last year are eligible for this show. The next sale is scheduled for September 22,2012.

I agree that Darke county is a great fair all around. The competition in Darke and Preble have been fairly even over the years in my opinion. Both very good...
Do you know if they will be selling heifers this year?
Yes, that is the plan but I think we will just take a couple of steers and keep our heifers for our sale. The grand champion junior steer came out of this sale and I believe sold for under $1,000 but not sure. Four of the top five in our county fair came from this sale which only Preble county cattlemen can consign.