best place to buy high dollar claves

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

When you pay a lot for a calf you are really paying for the service and know-how that goes with that calf.  That is the value of the big names.

WBar Farms

Not always how much you spend just watch the crossbred drive at the indiana state fair on lautners blog and if the guy reporting is right the reserve champion was a 60k steer...... for that much you should wipe the floor just find a good one now that will be great at 1300 pounds.

AAOK

coyote said:
I would try a music store.  ;)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Claves (Anglicized pronunciation: clah-vays, IPA:[ˈklαves]) are a percussion instrument (idiophone), consisting of a pair of short (about 20–30 cm (7.9–11.8 in), thick dowels. Traditionally they were made of wood, typically rosewood, ebony or grenadilla. Nowadays they are also made of fibreglass or plastics due to the greater durability of these materials. When struck they produce a bright clicking noise. Claves are sometimes hollow and carved in the middle to amplify the sound.

Claves are very important in Afro-Cuban music, such as the son and guaguancó. They are often used to play a repeating rhythmic figure throughout a piece, known as clave, a key pattern (or guide-pattern, timeline patter, phrasing referent, bell pattern) that is also found in African music and Brazilian music.[1] One of the better known recordings featuring claves is the Beatles' recording "And I Love Her.""
(clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (thumbsup) (thumbsup) <rock> <rock> <rock>

harleyhog

We live in Iowa, who has be best ones, not the most expensive, calves this year before we drive all over creation.....Thanks

steerjock17

Most of the time, most...... it matters who you bought him from, whos judging, and are you politicly correct.... I mean you have to fit the roll too..... but more time than not.... do you have the proper connections....... hard facts about it.... it is what it is....

smo

steerjock17 said:
Most of the time, most...... it matters who you bought him from, whos judging, and are you politicly correct.... I mean you have to fit the roll too..... but more time than not.... do you have the proper connections....... hard facts about it.... it is what it is....
well said

RankeCattleCo

beef101 said:
yeah we are looking for steers and we live in Indiana so our state fair is very very challenging to win
Bob May, Mineral Point WI Iowa county.  Jerod Schmitt, Union Grove WI Racine County.  Start with those, Bob May's been asociated with grand steer at WI state fair for I think the last 20 some odd years.  Brock (his kid) won supreme grand steer at WI state fair 07 08 09 10 an reserve grand supreme this year.

justintime

I noticed that the subject line for this thread is "best place to buy high dollar calves". I am wondering if you are meaning high quality calves or just high dollar calves? There is oftentimes a big difference. There are some excellent breeders in every breed that have high dollar sales and also have some excellent heifers, but I also see many heifers of equal or more quality offered by less well known breeders, or breeders who live a little further from the big names. Over the past number of years, we have seen many high dollar heifers sell in many sales, and I'm always surprised how few of them make it to the major shows. A few years ago, I attended a major sale and there were more than a dozen heifers that sold for over $10,000. The next summer I attended the Junior Nationals and was surprised to only find two of these heifers at the show. One of them had continued to develop into an outstanding show heifer, the other was just another heifer.
I don't want to tell you what to do with your money, as it is a free world and you can spend it where ever you want. If you are just starting out and want to find a good heifer that will compete, at a reasonable price , I would suggest that you take some extra time and look what is available in some different breeding operations. Oftentimes, the genetics are similar and the service is as good. Oftentimes, breeders who ware further removed from the action are more than willing to deliver their heifers part way or all the way at bare costs of getting her there. There is no guarantee that a " high dollar heifer" will become a show winner or more importantly, a high quality brood cow after her show career is over. If you are just starting out, it is sometimes better to walk before you run, and get to know as many breeders as you can. You just never know where a great show prospect will appear.

chevelle

Russ Harkema isnt running as hard these days.  He always has his hands on the winnner. prob best record in Iowa

Bradenh

No one has said Ryan rash!?!?! If i had about 40k this guy would be the first one that I called, I know he doesn't raise cattle or play by the rules but he wins, I would send him a check to get the calf, keep it at his house, fit it at the show,  and get in the picture afterwards, I would however decide not to let him dress me before I show because that's personal preference,...... if you have high $ call him! The guy wins

Disclaimer: I don't condone cheating but I would be nice to have one from him as opposed to Americans out of ny pasture..... but I'm not in the market for a high dollar calf so who am I kidding?

CMAHerefords

The reserve grand champion steer at Wisconsin State Fair in 2006 was a steer that did not get a $900 bid at Carrousel Farm's pasture sale. It got 3rd in its class at the county fair and then 2 weeks later sold for 30K  and set the state record.

I would say it doesn't matter how much you spend its how you feed them. Other things do help ofcourse but thats the basics.

Just from what i've seen.

fed_champions

Show stopper 95 said:
No one has said Ryan rash!?!?! If i had about 40k this guy would be the first one that I called, I know he doesn't raise cattle or play by the rules but he wins, I would send him a check to get the calf, keep it at his house, fit it at the show,  and get in the picture afterwards, I would however decide not to let him dress me before I show because that's personal preference,...... if you have high $ call him! The guy wins

Disclaimer: I don't condone cheating but I would be nice to have one from him as opposed to Americans out of ny pasture..... but I'm not in the market for a high dollar calf so who am I kidding?

I agree with u.

This is where most people go wrong, they wanna throw money at the situation. If you are going to spend 40k, u need to have the right person buying for you. Or you need to know what your doing. Chances are if ur asking where to buy one, ur probably in over ur head. People with lots of knowledge try to win for years, like Bill Cody, i saw him take unlimited funds for 3 years, and put that kid around the lap several times, (thats not making sale if ur not familiar with texas). The second part of the process is getting that calf fed out. Ive seen 40000 dollar ones put on the truck, and ive seen 1500 dollar ones win majors. So my advice to win, if u dont know what ur doing hire somebody who does, and even theyll screw u sometimes.

P.S. dont price shop, if the jock knows thats what ur doing, he'll overprice his average cattle. The reason Ryan Rash would be a safe bet: he doesnt raise them, he, therefore is not trying to pull one over on u; he loves to win and has done a lot of it; his methods arent exactly upstanding, but if ur around this business long enough, u'll realize, lots of people cheat, they just dont flaunt it.

showsteerdlux

beef101 said:
yeah we are looking for steers and we live in Indiana so our state fair is very very challenging to win
I'd talk to Goettmoeller in that case. He sure has been trading some good ones over the past few years. One of the 1st posts mentioned Rodgers, and I'd agree with that along with Tracey Goretska.

Surprised nobody from the Texas crowd has mentioned Brian Martin? I thought he was the main man down there?

How about Guyer? Zach Gray? For Ohio/Indiana area how about Kerry Lawrence, Jason Andrews?

vet tech

Mike Mimms (if he has any spring borns and he probably will) Greg Kroupa or Shane Boysel

afhm

If you want to stay in Iowa its simple, head to Searsboro in October when Wade Rodgers has his sale.  After him head down to Goretska or John Sullivan.  IF traveling doesn't bother you then make a visit to Copus, May, Brian Martin, Chad Forman, Lucky Strike, Nowatzke, both Stotlz's, Reimann or Doris and see what they have to offer.

itk

IMO, if you are asking where to buy a high dollar calf on a internet forum you probally don't need to be buying one.

shortdawg

cpratz said:
The Show said:
In Texas you've got Steve Bonham, Tony Austin, Dave Allen, Bill Cody, Dan Sullivan, and Mark Copus. Their certainly not the only people that raise good show cattle in Texas, but that's where I'd start.
Most of them do not raise calves they trade them

.........and a lot of these guys buy calves from Glover

jlingle

shortdawg said:
cpratz said:
The Show said:
In Texas you've got Steve Bonham, Tony Austin, Dave Allen, Bill Cody, Dan Sullivan, and Mark Copus. Their certainly not the only people that raise good show cattle in Texas, but that's where I'd start.
Most of them do not raise calves they trade them

.........and a lot of these guys buy calves from Glover

LOL.... I thought the same thing.  Bruce and Dustin's pasture sale is pretty popular with some of those folks listed.

shortdawg

Yep ! I've rode in the truck with Dustin and some of these guys listed looking at calves in that pasture sale !