Best Simmental Bulls right now

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

Thought I would revive this thread and see if anyone had anything new to add about calves out of these bulls.
I will say that I saw Montecito on Saturday at the Shoal Creek sale (he was hiding in another barn we went and got some straw out of to put down under a heifer my daughter bought). Even though he was in his "working clothes", you could see his merits. He was long, and had a extremely long hip. My daughter has only seen pictures, and has never been "wowed" by him, but after seeing him in person she is now wanting to use him on a few of her cows. He was clean shouldered, and I have heard he will add rib shape. Just our observation...

BLRanch

I would say that in terms of shear numbers Broker is leading the way right now. I would say I'm most excited about the One Eyed Jacks I have coming.

I don't think that he will take the breed by storm, but I think that there will be a lot more Houston calves born in the next couple years with Griswold's behind him.  I'd also like to hear what people think about bulls like United or Uproar.

gary89

I saw United on pasture at wernings. He is as good of a simmxangus bull as you'll ever see. Much better than his picture. He throws a lot of power and depth,  nice look too.  Just doesn't have any hair so if you're looking for show cattle you might be disappointed with that aspect.

I really liked wc loaded up.  Looked awesome on pasture. Very stout and cool.  Have a couple of those calves coming later this spring.

jd438

Bringing this one back to the top. 
Trying to get semen ordered.
What is everyone liking this calf crop on Simmental calves?
Mainly breeding for some heifers to show, but need to make cows and be able market some of the bull calves.
That being said we are trying to select bulls bull with average or better for calving ease and growth.
I'll share what we used last year.
Combustible- sired what I would call our best heifer calf, but below average calving ease and growth numbers concern me.
Make it Rain- Have a few nice calves the last couple years, again CE and growth could be better
Tail Gater - Have a few calves from him.  Had calving problems on a couple, which I wouldn't expect especially when I see the calves.  Nicely made calves, but seem to be a little narrow at this stage. Very correct. Decent numbers
Hard As Steel- Nice bull calf- Long hipped, and seemed to really put some flank in the calf.  Might not have much hair, decent numbers except for terrible milk
Heads Up - Nice calf, length, width, shape, look, maybe gets a little short in her hip.  Decent numbers

Anyone have any calves From One Eyed Jack, W/C United, W/C Lockdown, GLS New Direction?
Also if anyone wants to share what Angus bulls are working on Simmi's.  Have a real nice Oreilly Factor heifer.
Thanks in advance

Davidsonranch

Heifers and making good mamas - Grandmaster hands down

Commercial or beef makers - Upgrade.  We raised two Upgrades last year that gained more than any calf we have raised before on very minimal feed. Weanling and yearling weights were off the chart.  Ended up BIG.  Both had 17 inch plus rib eyes. Best eating steer we have ever had.

Show calves - Chopper.  We have a Baldy Chopper steer this year out of a Grandmaster cow that is exceeding out expectations.  Moderate but thick and wide topped.  This is a cross I intend to do over and over again. 

Cornsilks

I'll bring this to the top again.  Now that there is another calf crop on the ground and they are growing and taking shape, what are your opinions? 

I see a lot of Brokers around, they look good.  I like Upgrades too.  A previous poster indicated good growth and I agree.  They seem to bring some power and plenty of size.

Others?

Lucky_P

Commercial outfit here, with predominantly ANxSimAngus cows, some higher% AN, and a few ANxSH.
Spring SM-influenced calves were primarily by Long's Shear Force... one last Triple C Singletary - all heifers, and all looking like they'll be keepers.
Fall herd just now calving... most cows, and a few older heifers were bred to PRS Blazin Hot... they're coming easily, growing well - really putting white faces back on 'em... but more white on legs than I was counting on.  Time will tell how they do.

firesweepranch

I just heard that Genex is leasing Ironhide, a white faced half blood. He is in quarantine in Strafford right now, I hope to get up to see him in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• ironhide.jpg
    ironhide.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 762

SimFarmer

Mama's Boy vs. Optimus Prime... which produces the most eye appealing calves? Any opinions

CAB

What is the pedigree on the Ironhide bull? I went to the Genex site but he wasn't listed there yet at least. Thanks

firesweepranch

CAB said:
What is the pedigree on the Ironhide bull? I went to the Genex site but he wasn't listed there yet at least. Thanks

Here is a link to his pedigree:
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/animalSearch.AnimalSearchAction?eventSubmit_displayAnimal=T&animalNumber=2624126

He isn't on the Genex site yet because he is in quarantine, and not passed all his tests. He has not even been collected yet. One step at a time...

I hope to go see him Tuesday...

neocattleman

what are everyone's thoughts on HTP/SVF Duracell? i used him some and was wondering what to expect out of his calves?

bthibodeau

Ironhide has just recently been collected and still has to pass one test and semen should be available in 30 days.

firesweepranch

bthibodeau said:
Ironhide has just recently been collected and still has to pass one test and semen should be available in 30 days.

I went and saw him, he is the real deal. I ordered semen on him for fall use. I look forward to using him  ;D

Biomurph

Firesweepranch:  How much is Genex charging for Iron Hide?  And since you saw him in person, how do you feel about his potential as a calving ease (heifer safe?) bull?  Thank you for any insight you are willing to share.