Best steakhouses you know!

Help Support Steer Planet:

itk

Davis Shorthorns said:
kanshow said:
Puffy's in Maple Hill KS

I second that

Also Alexanders Steak House in Bloomington IL.  It is another one of those cook you own place and you get to pick out your own steak. 

Make it 3 for Puffys. My sister in law is Jims daughter so the only thing better then a steak from there is a free one when she is working.

red

inthebarnagain said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Beef House.  It is on the Indiana Illinois line right on 74.  Absolutely wonderful. 

That's the one I was talking about! Yummy!!!!

Red

kanshow

A few years ago, I would have said you couldn't beat Ramblers in Manhattan, KS but since they've opened one up in Wamego, we haven't had a good steak from either place.   

chambero

Someone needs to put a running list of these recommendations up on this website for people to add to by town that we can pull up when we head out on a cow trip.

kanshow

Good idea Chambero, a lot of these places are out of the way and off the beaten path.   

aj

I'm with jimmyski on "Big Eds" in Bird City Kansas. It's dirt roads all the way home from there. The have pretty good whiskey there also. ;D I know a guy who went to school at Idalia,Co and played football atr csu. I think he sells pioneer seed in Goodland Ks. Lets just call him Chris S. Now there is a character.

jimmyski

aj said:
I'm with jimmyski on "Big Eds" in Bird City Kansas. It's dirt roads all the way home from there. The have pretty good whiskey there also. ;D I know a guy who went to school at Idalia,Co and played football atr csu. I think he sells pioneer seed in Goodland Ks. Lets just call him Chris S. Now there is a character.

aj,
I'm pretty sure I know the Chris S. you are talking about. He is quite a character. I believe also used to be the asst. Football coach at Idalia as well. Good guy and a good family as well. One of his brother's farms a lot of acre's by us and his other brother is the V.P of a bank in Wray. They are big supporter's of 4-H and the livestock programs in Yuma County.

red

Chambero, I can sticky this thread so it remains up at the top. Good idea! Wish I was back on the road so I could try some of these places! Heck, if I was on the road all I'd be doing is stop at member's places. Of course, that was part of my job doing farm calls.  ;)

Red

oakview

Steak Center in State Center, Iowa, is a pretty good place in our area.  The beef is locally grown, you can pick it out yourself and grill if you want.  Great way to meet people.  I haven't been able to get away to Denver for several years, but we use to like to go to the place out on Arapahoe Road, I just can't think of the name.  The walls were covered with ties and there was a slide in the middle of the floor.  The steaks were grilled on mesquite, beans, pototoes and bread served family style.  Was it called Trail Dust?

AAOK

I've eaten great steaks from St. Thomas to Boston and Seatle, to Hawaii and all over the U.S in between.  The BEST-BY-FAR is...................................CATTLEMAN'S in the Stockyard area of Oklahoma City, OK

Show Dad

A big second that AAOK on Cattleman's in OKC. Eat the steak soup for lunch and you won't need supper.

In Kansas City it's the Hereford House, especially if I'm am entertaining clients. Also Stroud's has a great steak even though they are known for there chicken.

In Dallas I go to Paul's Porterhouse.

In Minneapolis Manny's Steak House (for you angus enthusiasts checkout their website http://www.mannyssteakhouse.com/)

In Wichita, Red Bean's Bayou Grill, I know its a cajun joint but my wife has the filet and loves it and their Prime Rib is to die for.

For chains:
Upscale it's Ruth's Chris Steak House. Otherwise it's Texas Road House, just don't like the wait time.

And many, too numerous to mention, good places I have eaten when traveling.

AAOK

SD said:
A big second that AAOK on Cattleman's in OKC. Eat the steak soup for lunch and you won't need supper.

In Kansas City it's the Hereford House, especially if I'm am entertaining clients. Also Stroud's has a great steak even though they are known for there chicken.

In Dallas I go to Paul's Porterhouse.

In Minneapolis Manny's Steak House (for you angus enthusiasts checkout their website http://www.mannyssteakhouse.com/)

In Wichita, Red Bean's Bayou Grill, I know its a cajun joint but my wife has the filet and loves it and their Prime Rib is to die for.

For chains:
Upscale it's Ruth's Chris Steak House. Otherwise it's Texas Road House, just don't like the wait time.

And many, too numerous to mention, good places I have eaten when traveling.

What do you know?  We DO have something in common.........we both like to EAT GREAT FOOD!!!

itk

The Hereford House has lost alot of appeal for me now since it has turned into a chain Restaurant in the KC area. Kind of like the Arthur Bryant's at Legends is not near as good as the original. Places like that should stick to one place or they lose the uniqueness that made them so great.

doubled

The Steer Altoona Iowa
The Hereford House KC
Steak Center - state center iowa
Of course My own house

ZNT

Del Frisco's and Texas de' Brazil have to rank right up there.  The second is't exactly a steak house, but they know how to cook and season all kinds of meat, along with the best salad bar I have ever seen.  You can find both of them in the Dallas and Ft. Worth.

Doc

Bigtex, gotta agree with you on Pappa Brothers in Dallas.
The Golden Steer in Las Vegas.
If ever in Nashville you gotta try " Jimmy Kellys", great steaks & fried hoecakes, it's in an old,old 2 story house near Vanderbilt , service is great too.
Hermitage Steakhouse just outside Nashville in an old log cabin.( about 100 yards from The Hermitage ,home of Pres.Andrew Jackson)

Unfortunately for Shortdawg," The White Trash Cafe" is not on my short list for steaks(or my long list either) ;D

farmboy

heres an idea, how bout me make one of those pin point maps like the member map for the best steak houses in america (or canada  ;) )