Best steakhouses you know!

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

Sawboss, I'd drive 3 hrs out of the way to eat at Al T's. I didn't know the duck hunting was good around there. Sounds like I might have to plan a hunting trip around a visit to Al T's. ;D

sawboss

It is the wintering grounds of the Central Flyway.  They raise a lot of rice in the area and have several fresh water refuges for the birds to rest on during the day.  If interested contact me and I'll be glad for you to come along on a hunt with me and my two boys.  If you would like to bring a group down you can contact Will Beatty with Central Flyway Outfitters, his website is www.hunttexas.com.  They also provide alligator hunts for those that like something a little wilder.  Al T's is good, but Sartains Seafood in Beaumont blows them away!  $20 per plate gets you all the fried shrimp, boiled shrimp, BBQ crab, fish and much more, I promise you will not be disappointed.

shortdawg

Sawboss, Thanks for the info. I'll run it by some of my hunting buddies and see what they think. We usually hunt the White River area in Arkansas.

sawboss

Shortdawg, I have hunted the White River area also and really enjoyed it.  Winnie is only a 3 hour drive for me plus I get to spend time with a fraternity brother from college.  By the way your baseball team is looking very good.

chambero

afhm said:
Catfish O'Harlies is pretty good.  There is a catfish place in either DeQueen, Arkansas on the east side of the road that is pretty good, it might be in Mena again the name slips me.  Bill's Catfish is the name as the place outside of Ardmore, there is also one in Waurika. 

It's a very small world when another person on this site knows about Bill's Catfish in Waurika, OK.  It's pretty "hole in the wall".  We get there at least once a month.  In fact, we drug Sawboss up there one evening, but he might think its a little too different than east Texas catfish.

Best breakfast during Fort Worth Stock Show - go down to H3 ranch in the stockyards.  They only serve it on weekends and don't open very early (I think 8 or 9), but its very good.

KCK

I just had my dad help me with this one. Don't forget the Como Steakhouse in Como, Mississippi. Well worth the drive off the beaten path!

sawboss

Come on now Chambero, it is not a hole in the wall.  It was very clean, good service and good food.  My youngest son even experienced eating calf fries, I still can not believe he ate them and enjoyed them.  You know I am spoiled eating all of the fresh catfish we catch down here, so restaurant fish does not appeal to me. 

STX

ROYERS in RoundTop Texas. The shrimp poorboys and stuffed jalapenos are awesome!!!!!!!!!  I didnt even mentioned their desserts.

uluru

RSC
I tried Husker Steakhouse in Columbus NE while visiting Bakenhus' earlier this week.
It is great.
Also enjoyed some entertainment from the locals at the next table.
A real friendly group having a lot of fun.
Treated us Canucks real good.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Show Dad

Red - Being that you will be down in the old stockyards you will find you options wide open. For steaks there's the Golden Ox just north of the arena. Hereford House has a number of locations around KC but the original location is just up the hill in downtown KC. Savoy Grill was President Truman's favorite steakhouse but is a little pricey. Strouds has great steaks but is famous for their chicken also they have great pork chops all served family style. Now if you like BBQ KC has many places but the best is Arthur Bryants. KC Masterpiece is over rated in my opinion.

Most of the places I have mentioned have websites that you can google to find them.
<alien>

RSC

uluru said:
RSC
I tried Husker Steakhouse in Columbus NE while visiting Bakenhus' earlier this week.
It is great.
Also enjoyed some entertainment from the locals at the next table.
A real friendly group having a lot of fun.
Treated us Canucks real good.

Thanks for the recommendation.
  No Problem, Not the fanciest place but great food and a good atmosphere.

I'll bet you seen some real good cattle on your trip as well!

RSC

Davis Shorthorns

Oh if you want BBQ you need to go to Guy and Mays tavern in Williamsburg KS.  Best ribs I have ever had....  Period....  They are only open on Fri. and Sat evenings but make sure if you want to eat before 10 get there before 6 or so.  Last time I was there their was at least 1 tour bus out of KC or St. Joe that came down just to eat the ribs. 

Davis Shorthorns

Oh, I went to the golden ox this last week, and it was HORRIBLE!!!  The "prime rib" sandwich I had was one of the worst that I had eaten.  The bun was soggy when they brought it out to me.  I have had better roast beef sandwiches at arbys.  My girl friend was very disappointed her father had told her that she had to go there because how good it was.  She got the bacon wrapped fillet and wouldn't finish it. 

garybob

My Gas Grill, seriuosly. I can cook a Chuck Eye Steak, that is better than the "Sirloin" and all the tenderized brood cow meat at Western Sizzlin.

uluru

RSC
Sorry for taking so long to comment on your reply.

We saw some awesome cattle on our trip to NE!!!!!
I see by the map that you are not that far away from Bakenhus's
The sale in the fall will feature some great shorthorns.

farmwife

Risky's in Fort Worth and Cattleman's in Texarkana, AR (right across the street from Texas) are my favorites.

If it's still in business, Hilltop Cafe' outside of Fredricksburg, Texas (not just a steakhouse) is great.

I'll have to agree that Ralph and Caccu's is the best seafood I've ever eaten.