Black Herefords

Help Support Steer Planet:

sancho78017

Does anyone know of someone trying to show a black hereford?... the reason i am asking is because one advise that i was given for the majors is to try and show and animal in a small class this way i have a better chance to place. I was also told to try to show something that will stick out.  So that is where i am going with the above question.... hope i can get some information from you

thank you

Robert Sanchez

chambero

What state are you trying to show in?  I assume you are talking about steers.

There no separate classes for "black" herefords anywhere I'm aware of.

In Texas, the competition is easiers for "breed" steers such as Angus, Hereford, Polled Hereford, Red Angus, etc.  There are many more good crossbred steers than British or American breed calves.  It still takes a good one in any breed to place at a Texas major.

red

since Herefords need to be purebred, wouldn't a black one show as a cross? Or a Chiford?

Red

kanshow

Is there even a black Hereford registry? 

I would think they'd show with AOB or crossbreds so most likely you'd be getting into a bigger class.   

Take a look at what your entry has been at the shows you want to attend.  I'd go by that.  Every show differs.  Believe it or not, the smallest breed show at our County fair has been Angus. Another thing - look at the age breaks.  Typically the largest classes are the early springs so I'd look at other ages if you wanted to stay out of the crowd. 

However IMO, I'd get the best calf I could find/afford and show it - whatever the class may be.

CAB

I'm sure that there is a Black Hereford registry. It sure would be  a small class as the breed is in it's infancy.

CAB

Yes they have started a breed that is called"Black Hereford's" and have guidelines. The 1 thing that I know is that the percentage of Hereford needed to be pure is 5/8s, beyond that I don't know what other criteria that they need. It would seem to me that after a certain amount of years or generations that they would need to close some of the creative options down and let the breed take on it's own identity. I personally think that they have a steep slope to climb. It's hard be better the true F-1 cross. To me, I would still use the Angus cows with a great Hereford bull. One of God's best crosses.

Dusty

kanshow said:
 However IMO, I'd get the best calf I could find/afford and show it - whatever the class may be.

I agree.  You've got to get around the tough ones eventually you just as well go against them from the start.  I always got a kick out of the people that tried to get their calf heavier/lighter to stay out of the tough classes.  They are the tough classes for a reason and that's where the champion usually comes from, and as far as I'm concerned you should always compete for the big banner, no other place really matters.

CAB

I don't know Dusty, every once in awhile it's just nice to make the sale via a division or breed.

Dusty

CAB said:
I don't know Dusty, every once in awhile it's just nice to make the sale via a division or breed.

Yeah it would be nice to get that premium, but I don't know too many people who show cattle for the money.  Show cattle are kinda like race horses, the easiest way to make a small fortune in the business is to start with a large one!  But I can see what you're saying.  It was just always my theory that a person should always do whatever they can to aim for the top spot, which a lot times means getting put in the third spot in class and going home with noone really noticing you.

garybob

sancho78017 said:
Does anyone know of someone trying to show a black hereford?... the reason i am asking is because one advise that i was given for the majors is to try and show and animal in a small class this way i have a better chance to place. I was also told to try to show something that will stick out.  So that is where i am going with the above question.... hope i can get some information from you

thank you

Robert Sanchez
The problem, Amiguito, is that, I don't think the "classifiers" at the Texas Major Shows would know that there IS a Black Hereford Breed registry. If these guys don't know a Shorthorn can be SOLID, DARK, Cherry Red ( and NOT an Orangey, Splotchy Roan with Brindle Stripes), I can imagine what they'd do with a "Black Hereford".

Saludos,

Gary Bob

TJ

sancho78017 said:

thank you

Robert Sanchez

My best guess is that they are talking about showing in a light weight class, not a breed class.  Also, they probably are saying that a little chrome will help them stand out in that light weight crossbred class.  I would say that this could be sound advice.  FWIW, I don't know anyone raising black herefords, but I do know someone who is using Lowlines to raise light weight crossbred show steers & they are breeding them either solid black or black with blaze faces.  This person won Grand Champ Simmy Steer at their last State Show, so they know what they are doing.  Not sure about Black Herefords, but small steers with a little chrome isn't a bad idea. 

sancho78017

Well i injoyed everyone feed back on this subject... and all of you had great replies. i will study some of them more.  As for the breed well it is some thing new in fact i contacted one of the breeders here in texas and asked him about having anyone showing them as steers.  He said that he know of a young lady in Floridia that showed a bull and place good but as for steer he doesn't know of anyone. In fact he said that he deos not cut any of his bull because there is a big demand for black hereford bulls.  And he said that these animals are 5/8 to 7/8 hereford and the rest angus...but the red hereford asso. does not see them as herefords so they had to get their own Black hereford Asso.  Well may be i can be one of the first to show one in my area.

thank you

Robert

Rocky Hill Simmental

This might just be at local shows around here but I'd show them under the classification "other breeds." They'd have to complete against red angus, shorthorns, limis, beefmasters, romanolas, and other less common breeds.
I don't know anyone who shows them but I had a judge once who raised them.

worthabit

chambero said:
What state are you trying to show in?  I assume you are talking about steers.

There no separate classes for "black" herefords anywhere I'm aware of.

In Texas, the competition is easiers for "breed" steers such as Angus, Hereford, Polled Hereford, Red Angus, etc.  There are many more good crossbred steers than British or American breed calves.  It still takes a good one in any breed to place at a Texas major.

what are "American breed" calves?