Black hided myth assc.

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

what's more interesting to me about angus and the polled gene is the tight linkage of traits to the polling gene/s that angus seem to overcome versus other breeds liked relaxed prepuce's, doability, muscle shape (ignoring the current flatter muscled angus)

cowboybecoachin

To the poster who said adding the Charolais blood would add more butt and bone.........you are right when speaking of most of the "EPD" or "carcass" breeders, but absolutely wrong when speaking of us Amgus breeders that recognize real world, big boned, big hipped, good doing Angus that will also win in the show ring.

I do not wish to knock any one's cattle or program. But a buncha Angus producers have bought in to the EPD deal and bred for singular carcass traits that have actully resulted in inferior cattle (IMO) that they spend millions to promote, and "uninformed" ranchers (like wealthy hobby ranchers)  who know little about cattle buy into these programs. Have you seen how many have sold out in the last 2 years in Texas? Once it gets past "you buy mine, I'll buy yours". there is not much demand for much of the angus product put out today, versus the few breeders that raise cattle with growth, muscle, bone, fertility, phenotype, calm demeanors, and do good on grass.

Just my opinion. I appreciate the good posts by Chambero and Jeff.

aj

I thought we could print up bumper stickers for our organization. How about"Be politically incorrect...raise RED cattle!"  OK,OK,OK,......how about this one......"If you are well read.....you will raise RED cattle!"......................OK,OK,OK  how about this one...."You can have my red cow when you pry her from my dead,cold hand!" (dog) <party> <beer> (thumbsup)

Cattledog

aj said:
I thought we could print up bumper stickers for our organization. How about"Be politically incorrect...raise RED cattle!"  OK,OK,OK,......how about this one......"If you are well read.....you will raise RED cattle!"......................OK,OK,OK  how about this one...."You can have my red cow when you pry her from my dead,cold hand!" (dog) <party> <beer> (thumbsup)

If this would be successful, I bet somebody would start a website "Red hided myth assc".

loveRedcows

aj said:
[/quote

Love your reply, AJ!!  Be careful, your sense of humor is showing....]

Mark H

What is an "Amgus"?
As far as big butted high performance Angus cattle are concerned Young Dale Angus are the best around: http://www.youngdaleangus.com/.  They aren't spread cattle and aren't calving ease but they are the best performance Angus cattle I have seen.  Look at the foundation bull Young Dale Monarch 12E for what I mean.
A red carrier Angus bull I like is here just scroll down: http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65079.  Note the feet on this 5 year old bull.  He has lousy EPDs because his dam dis not have any EPDs..  Gien enough AI  use this EPDs will improve.  He is no calving ease prospect and iws considered a growth bull up against high EPD AI bulls by the owner.  This bull is as far from a cocktail club bull as you can get.
Another thing to keep in mind is that  high performance Angus are not judged by the same standards as a high performance Charolais.  Bulls that are 1400 LBS and up at yearling with lots of muscle and bone are common in the Charolais breed.  These bulls are also not fat and are ready to work.  These numbers from many different blood lines means other traits such calving ease, hair coat etc. are part of the buying decision.  High performance Angus cattle say from SAV or Hoffs that would automatically go to a seedstock operation would supply merely commercial bulls in the Charolais breed.

aj

I just got off the phone with my senator and he is going to propose a amendment tied to the health care bill. Cows get out. cows get out and stand in the road.Cows get out and stand in the road at night. Red cows are seen more easily than black cows when standing in the road at night. So.........we are proposing to ban black cows in the USA because of their visability problems. I think we can get through the house anyway. IF WE COULD SAVE ONE LIFE WOULDN'T IT BE WORTH IT! In fact Herford colored cattle will be issued a bonus tax incentive because of their visability at night. If YOU are against this bill you are a homophobic,racist,long haired frat rat that has no concern for other human beings.So there <beer>

Silver

aj said:
I just got off the phone with my senator and he is going to propose a amendment tied to the health care bill. Cows get out. cows get out and stand in the road.Cows get out and stand in the road at night. Red cows are seen more easily than black cows when standing in the road at night. So.........we are proposing to ban black cows in the USA because of their visability problems. I think we can get through the house anyway. IF WE COULD SAVE ONE LIFE WOULDN'T IT BE WORTH IT! In fact Herford colored cattle will be issued a bonus tax incentive because of their visability at night. If YOU are against this bill you are a homophobic,racist,long haired frat rat that has no concern for other human beings.So there <beer>

Why not just build good fences and drive safely? Heck before you could ever do that we would just get sale barn glue and throw some reflectors on our black cows. (lol) then what.

knabe

aj said:

it's easier to see darker things in the dark.

Cattledog

knabe said:
aj said:

Sounds like this makes make just as much sense as the health care bill then huh?

Silver

aj said:
In fact Herford colored cattle will be issued a bonus tax incentive because of their visability at night.

Tell that to the front end of my brothers cummins. Let me guess the tax incentive will pay to replace the feedlot's calf and the truck to be fixed.

aj

I HAVE A DREAM! That cattle will be judged by the quality of their carcass and not the color of their skin!

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
AJ its not as bad as you think it is , I raise Angus, Charolais an x cattle,  last year I had calves out of a Charolais bull I had raised ,in my club calves to sell I through in some of the  Charolais bulls heifers,only had 4-5 calves out of him.  Usually when showing people the calves they never paid any attention to the Charolais white heifers ,last year totally different,the white heifers outsold all the other calves ,one of  them was a WHITE NOISE heifer ,she came in fourth, she waas out of white cow also, there  were two  out of the Progress bull ,an
third one out of our Maximo bull .  If there good they will definitely draw some attention, an also I'm hearing these little girls saying
""daddy don't get a black one , I want one that's got some color an is prettier ""  .  An there is getting to be so many blacks , no one can really tell what there out of cause they pretty much all look the same ...  .On the other hand if your raising commercial cattle you might as well figure a way to raise them black, CAB--IS EMBEDDDED REALLY DEEP an the women buying meat are familiar with ANGUS an it is going to take a hot day in jail to change that ...

simtal

Cattledog said:
knabe said:
aj said:

Sounds like this makes make just as much sense as the health care bill then huh?

black cow stay warmer due to sun, require less inputs for maintenance, reduced mehane, carbon credits???

aj

Silver....it is a myth. I gaurentee that a pen of Red Angus stters will out grade a pen of black purebred simentals. It is a fact. The black hided myth is just wrong. At least call a spade a spade. It is a fad. It is a trend. Most peoples understanding of history is limited from the day they were born. There are so many good re Salers,Limis,Simi's that shoved aside and the breeds need these cattle. Period. Let the people who raise red cattle go free. Throw down their shackles and let them go. Select cattle for their qualities and to heck with color. Someone with an IQ of 50 can pick colors. How many people know good cattle? That is the question.

LostFarmer

The difference is that the angus breeders got together and marketed a product.  It wasn't necessarily a better product but it was a marketed product.  They got off their butts and built a brand recognition that has allowed them to differentiate their product.  The angus association flat out worked the competition.

I have a good friend that has been breeding Simmental cattle.  Pretty darn good ones too.  He said that he would never breed black ones until they were as good as the reds.  Many of his herd are the old red and even a few light red ones.  His son brought home some good angus heifers and they started selling good F1 cross bulls.  Dad darn near disowned his son over the black cattle.  But you see the pen of bulls and the black ones are sold and the red ones still there.  I think in his herd there are better red cattle than black.  I think in many herds the red cattle are better because of a higher selection criteria... BUT the public wants black cattle as they vote at the supermarket with their checkbook. 

Where were the other breed associations when the angus breeders were getting it done? 

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I agree with the lost farmer 100% ,but in the process of doing this they have made the true Angus breeders say why did I pay to promote the black simmi ,maine ,an etc. ..Now a lot of those small breeders are not getting there bulls to make any profit .an you will see in future years less registrations an suppport from the breeders not making any money .  A lot of these people helped pay for all the EPD'S that are losing their alue an very shortly will be replaced by DNA testing because they are obsolete ...,,,Time will tell the story ...

knabe

Freddy said:
  A lot of these people helped pay for all the EPD'S that are losing their alue an very shortly will be replaced by DNA testing because they are obsolete ...,,,Time will tell the story ...

don't hang your hat on DNA just yet.  it has yet to be proven markers work across breeds.