Black oil sunflower seed as supplement

Help Support Steer Planet:

kndcattle

My wife adds this black oil sunflower seed (boss) into her show  goat feed.  It really adds finish and full look to our does.  I was considering adding this to calf mix.  I know it sounds crazy but has anyone tried this before.  It's roughly 8% protein.  12 % fat and 30% fiber.  I never thiugt anything besides birds would eat it but our goats go crazy over it.  Any thought or advice from experience with it would be great. Thanks

Davis Shorthorns

We have about 150lbs per ton in our show feed.  The cattle seem to like it and it it looks like it is pretty easy digestible. 

OH Breeder

The gentleman who took care of one of my orphan calves had it in his feed. The calf's hair coat is unbelievable. Does it help skin and hair? I was thinking of sunflower oil.

nkotb

Is she feeding whole kernels, shell and all, or the mash after they have been crushed?  There is an oil sunflower crush plant not far from here, actually closer to AJ, that I think would sell the mash after the crushing process has been completed.  I would think it would make a pretty good feed with the high oil content, equaling good fat and still maintaining some fiber.

edmun2010

I have a friend who feeds the black oil sunflower seeds (whole) to her show horses.  They are fat and shiny.  I'm sure that it would work for cattle as well.