Blow & Go Shows

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Are any of your shows going the "blow & go" way? This is a show where no adhesives are allowed or any holding solutions are to be used. ???
Any comments or feedbacks? Or any suggestions on what you can use?
thanks, (cow)
Red

red

The only rule they try to enforce is that registered females are recorded in the exhibitor's name. 

I think in some of our jackpot shows (non BEST) that rule doesn't even apply. You can show someones elses registered animal.
I know a lot of the shows are going  to the non-aeresol products in the make-up areas.
Red (cow)

phoebe

Never heard of them, but that would save on some prep time.  I am just learning a lot of the different techniques to get the steer to look just the way you want, it is amazing what you got to use to get it just right.  O0

showcattlegal

Our state fair went to a blow and show for the Jr. steers and heifers last year, no clipping on the fair grounds. The steer jocks got in to a fight with the someone on the fair board. Not a smart thing to do. It made the steer show pretty intresting. I liked it. Good solid steers won not just the hair.
Lacey

genes

I think we went to somthing similar the year after I finished....not sure if it was no glue or just no colour.

I like the idea, particularly for shows where you have to fit indoors (have you read the warnings on the backs of the cans?  We probably shouldn't be sucking in too much of that stuff if we could help it)  I think it can make for a happy medium between slick and fully fitted.  Because the hair is still there, and the people who work the hardest on the hair at home will still have their work pay off with a good look in the showring.  We don't have jocks at our shows - just a few over-enthusiastic parents  ::) - but it does seem like their would be less for them to do at a blow and go.

The only argument I can think of that people might have that I consider really valid is that if the non-youth shows are full fit, and the youth shows are blow and go, then the kids might not learn to do some of the fitting.  But I think the blow and go still gives the basics (where slick may not) and the kids that want to do it, can find a way to pick it up.  Plus, as cowz said, as some breed associations move to blow and go as well, then this becomes less of an issue.

brahmergirl

Every show we show in is a blow and show!!!  Teeheee! We raise Brahma's so there is no adhesives, paint or anything.  I love it!  We take them to the wash rack, wash them, and take them back, towel dry them and poof!  They're ready. 

Takes me a whole 30 seconds to trim their face whiskers and their hump.  We blunt the tail here but not normally down south due to the upper states people normally do not know how to judge brahma's so we do it to please them but we are amazed at the people whom it takes hours to detail their calves and it takes us the length of time to drip dry!  ;D  A good sweat scraper cuts down on that time too!

So yeah, all of our shows are blow and go even if the rules don't state it!  (clapping) 

We went to one in Kellyville OK a few years ago and everyone's hands were black, but one steer stood out in my son and I's minds!  They had wrapped the legs with sisal I guess and fluffed it, painted it and walked out in the ring.  The judge ran his hand down it, got black on it and part of the sisal came off.  He pointed to them told them to take it back and strip it.  We were amazed! 

To each is their own and so are their show practices.  We have nothing against it and personally I think they are artists when they can do that stuff, I just don't have the patience.  ;D

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Must be nice.

Reminds of showing sheep, wash them, shear them, and painted their toes and your done.

Jill

The Kansas State Fair is going to blow and go,( no glue no paint this year) one of the other big show went last year and it seemed to work fine.  I think it puts everyone on a little more even playing field, it takes years and talent to learn to fit, but anyone can work hair at home.  The no fit really is a bigger advantage to those that do the work at home, it also saves a great deal of money.

On the down side you end up with a bunch of pictures that I think don't really look as nice as a fit animal and  I agree, the kids don't learn to fit for Jr. nationals and such.

red

Jill said:
The Kansas State Fair is going to blow and go,( no glue no paint this year) one of the other big show went last year and it seemed to work fine.  I think it puts everyone on a little more even playing field, it takes years and talent to learn to fit, but anyone can work hair at home.  The no fit really is a bigger advantage to those that do the work at home, it also saves a great deal of money.

On the down side you end up with a bunch of pictures that I think don't really look as nice as a fit animal and  I agree, the kids don't learn to fit for Jr. nationals and such.

Yes, because at the Jr Natl's & othe shows like NAILE you can still paint & etc.
The BEST shows & the state fair in OH don't allow painting but you can still use adhesive. i aloways liked the AGR because you can go crazy w/ the paint & etc. It's just plain fun sometimes to be able to get BIG hair!
Red O0

red

What about slick sheared shows? I know they are popular in TX. What are the benfits & drawbacks to them?

Red

AAOK

I don't like the Blow and Show idea.  My thought is that the idea of a cattle show is to exhibit the animal the very best it can be.  I've heard people say "It's not a beauty pageant, it's a cattle show".  Well, in my mind, they are beauty pageants.  The Oklahoma City Youth Expo (largest Junior livestock show in the nation) was considering no adhesives a few years ago, but Kirk Steirwalt came up with the idea of Team Grooming Contests for each age divsion, and also had the funding in place to support some Big Times prizes as well as scholarships for the placing teams.  The Teams now have to qualify at their County Shows.  This is reversing a few Blow and Show Counties, so that their youth will have some experience. 

My younger daughter, who attended and competed at 10 Maine-Anjou Junior National Shows, is a Big proponent of Fitting Show Cattle.  She has always contended that the daily grooming and show time fitting is what taught her a strong work ethic, and the desire to lead and excel, not just to run with the pack.  I have always felt the same way.  Cattle Shows are Beauty Pageants.  You don't see any Miss America Pageant contestants entering their arena without there makeup and their hair just perfect, do you?

Fit 'em! Spray 'em! Paint 'em! Make 'em purdy!!!!!  8)
Dan

SmithNorthside

This is a old topic but I like Blow & Go shows. It gives you time to enjoy family and friends . The most important thing about a Blow & go show is you  judge cattle not HAIR. 

cowboy_nyk

Honestly I like having the opportunity to show at both.  Like you said, at a small show it allows you time to socialize and the cattle are judged more on their structure and makeup than their hair.

I do however see the point that other posters have made that when you present you best animals on the biggest stage, you want o do anything you can to make them look their best, including growing hair and fitting. 

I don't see a problem having a mix of fit and no-fit shows to attend.

diamonddls

AAOK said:
I don't like the Blow and Show idea.  My thought is that the idea of a cattle show is to exhibit the animal the very best it can be.  I've heard people say "It's not a beauty pageant, it's a cattle show".  Well, in my mind, they are beauty pageants.  The Oklahoma City Youth Expo (largest Junior livestock show in the nation) was considering no adhesives a few years ago, but Kirk Steirwalt came up with the idea of Team Grooming Contests for each age divsion, and also had the funding in place to support some Big Times prizes as well as scholarships for the placing teams.  The Teams now have to qualify at their County Shows.  This is reversing a few Blow and Show Counties, so that their youth will have some experience. 

My younger daughter, who attended and competed at 10 Maine-Anjou Junior National Shows, is a Big proponent of Fitting Show Cattle.  She has always contended that the daily grooming and show time fitting is what taught her a strong work ethic, and the desire to lead and excel, not just to run with the pack.  I have always felt the same way.  Cattle Shows are Beauty Pageants.  You don't see any Miss America Pageant contestants entering their arena without there makeup and their hair just perfect, do you?

Fit 'em! Spray 'em! Paint 'em! Make 'em purdy!!!!!  8)
Dan
+1 I took some time away from showing (10years) getting back at it and looking to knock off the rust. I agree as a kid it taught me a work ethic having a daily job to do to get that hair just right for show day. Full fit is just another tool in the box why not use it to do the best job possible.

CJC

With Blow & Go you have to work harder with the hair than what you think. I've seen some Blow & Go's that look better than fitted.

Cattle Cards

In Texas, the Blow & Go is very popular and even gotten to some of the Majors.  When hosting a "Fitting Optional" show, I was told that the kids couldn't pay $200-$300 to have their animals fit for the show(s).  What happened to the day when people like myself clipped and fit their own heifers and steers for Jackpots to the State Fair?  How do these youth learn to fit without the practice.  Stock Show U and Weaver are both hosting clinics.  I believe that the youth need to learn how to care and fit their own animals.  There are a lot of good fitters out there.  But just don't pay them.  Watch them, learn from them and try doing it for yourselves.
<cowboy>

LLBUX

I mean no disrespect to anyone who practices different management or wants to raise their children or cattle differently than I do.    You do your thing, I'll do mine.

I totally agree that kids and their families should do their own fitting. 

I call BS that 'they need to be able to watch others and learn how to do it themselves'.  (Not directed at anybody in this thread)

When will they be able to do it for themselves if not at the shows that count?

It bugs me to see so many kids sitting/standing around, while anywhere from 2-8 fitters (supplied by the breeder or the family's deep pockets) are working on a steer or heifer for a show.    I see this even at the county fair level.

The kids learn to sit on their butts and have other minions do their bidding, while they reap the benefits.

That all being said, I prefer the simplicity of blow and go shows, and even practice that(along with showing in rope halters) most of the time.    We catch some heck about it, but I am trying to teach the practical side of beef production.  How can I possibly justify spending $100 or more on supplies to fit a calf, let alone the price of a fitter?  It is just a money drain with no return.
We use no cooler and many years the calves never even see a fan.

The calves are tame, clean, clipped and well presented.  My son makes a little money on every calf.   
I would think that means something.  We are not all that concerned about winning.  It is a family deal with us and we all do our part.

Danielle1018

LLBUX said:
I mean no disrespect to anyone who practices different management or wants to raise their children or cattle differently than I do.    You do your thing, I'll do mine.

I totally agree that kids and their families should do their own fitting. 

I call BS that 'they need to be able to watch others and learn how to do it themselves'.  (Not directed at anybody in this thread)

When will they be able to do it for themselves if not at the shows that count?

It bugs me to see so many kids sitting/standing around, while anywhere from 2-8 fitters (supplied by the breeder or the family's deep pockets) are working on a steer or heifer for a show.    I see this even at the county fair level.

The kids learn to sit on their butts and have other minions do their bidding, while they reap the benefits.

That all being said, I prefer the simplicity of blow and go shows, and even practice that(along with showing in rope halters) most of the time.    We catch some heck about it, but I am trying to teach the practical side of beef production.  How can I possibly justify spending $100 or more on supplies to fit a calf, let alone the price of a fitter?  It is just a money drain with no return.
We use no cooler and many years the calves never even see a fan.

The calves are tame, clean, clipped and well presented.  My son makes a little money on every calf.   
I would think that means something.  We are not all that concerned about winning.  It is a family deal with us and we all do our part.

I totally agree! At our state fair you will see a fitter on each leg plus one on the body and/or head. And there is not an exhibitor anywhere near the calf. It drives me nuts. Fitters are flown in from out west. Our show is judged basically on hair. It has been years since I have even seen a judge handle a steer. I think blow and go is the way to go. As you said winning isn't everything. It is sad when people go through the trouble of gluing in teeth and hair to make calves something that they aren't.

Cattle Cards

LLBUX said:

Sure that had nothing to do with my comment.  But when you have some of the best fitters around and you can watch them do their thing, why not watch them do their magic and learn what you can.  I watched John Griswold, Bobby May, Ed Cody, and Pat McRenyolds when Suddeth, Poad, & Weigel were just kids.  And how do you think they learned?  Why not watch the best and pick up what you can?  Then, get the tools and have the "hutzpah" to go try it yourself.  If not, then keep paying the Big Boys (and Gals)" to do it for you.