Blowin' somke or spittin'?

Help Support Steer Planet:

beefy08

As we all know, raising/working cattle is a tough job. How many of us keep ourselves together with a dip/chew. Or, after your'e done, relax with a cigarette or cigar. I go for a dip of Grizzly wintergreen, or a nice chew of Redman.

GoWyo

I have quit for the 10th time in my life and am now chew free for 30 days.  Love the flavor and the nicotine hit, but want to keep my teeth and gums and not give cancer an excuse.  I have quit for up to a year before, but somehow fell back into it.  Quit while you are young or never start in the first place.  Dang it -- now I want one, but will have to settle for sunflower seeds.

knabe

GoWyo said:
I have quit for the 10th time in my life and am now chew free for 30 days.  Love the flavor and the nicotine hit, but want to keep my teeth and gums and not give cancer an excuse.  I have quit for up to a year before, but somehow fell back into it.  Quit while you are young or never start in the first place.  Dang it -- now I want one, but will have to settle for sunflower seeds.

good job, keep it up, you won't regret it.

it's easier to keep it together without it.  try gum, fruit.  it takes your body about 6 months to get addicted to something that isn't as addicting as nicotine and create pangs for it.  you have to keep eating it, like fruit or stuff without processed sugar or the refined salt.  use kosher instead.

justintime

As a reformed smoker myself, I am now thinking that chewing is also a health hazzard. I know of two Copenhagen users who live close to me, who have lost big parts of their cheeks and lips due to cancer caused by chewing. Both of them are messed up pretty good.

I used to also enjoy a good chew once in awhile, but am thankful I never did it full time. Quitting smoking has been the hardest thing I have ever done. Even though I have been stopped for several years, I occasionally still crave a cigarette. Probably will be like this for life.

herefordfootball

knabe said:
GoWyo said:

good job, keep it up, you won't regret it.

it's easier to keep it together without it.  try gum, fruit.  it takes your body about 6 months to get addicted to something that isn't as addicting as nicotine and create pangs for it.  you have to keep eating it, like fruit or stuff without processed sugar or the refined salt.  use kosher instead.

Well put knabe. I agree. I've had five lung surgerys, maybe going in for a sixth after state fair dont know, but if you like to smoke, come visit me in the hospital after surgery and see if you still want to smoke. But everyone has the right to smoke if they want to.

herefordfootball

justintime said:
As a reformed smoker myself, I am now thinking that chewing is also a health hazzard. I know of two Copenhagen users who live close to me, who have lost big parts of their cheeks and lips due to cancer caused by chewing. Both of them are messed up pretty good.

I used to also enjoy a good chew once in awhile, but am thankful I never did it full time. Quitting smoking has been the hardest thing I have ever done. Even though I have been stopped for several years, I occasionally still crave a cigarette. Probably will be like this for life.

I hope you arent like that for life and stay away from the ciagarettes and chew. Thats a heck of an accomplishment you got there, quitting has to be amazingly hard.

herefordfootball

forbes family farms said:
Won't ever smoke and won't ever chew. That kinda stuff can get you know where in life.  (cow)   ::)

It can get you in a hospital bed, in a coffin, or on an operating table just to name a few. It can kill ya but then again I know a man thats seventy eight years old been smoking since he was eighteen, but then again he's about one in million, so if you like to gamble with your life....

TMJ Show Cattle

I smoked 2-4 packs a day for forty years. Dipped snuff along with it for several years. I quit smokin and drinkin,but still dip the wintergreen grizzly to the tune of 11/2 boxes a week. Its'a nasty habit I know,all of the above. I get alot of exercize and am still gaining weight . I am now 60 and old habits are hard to break.The Doc told me if I didn't at least chew,my blood pressure from everyday trials and tribulations would shoot to the roof.He claims my chances of dying before 70 will be greater from weight gain than from dipping tobacco. Go figure.

knabe

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Go figure.

not everyone has the same susceptibility.  two of my great grandparents smoked and lived over 95.  on the other hand, we have lots of alchohol abuse susceptibility.

Telos

Chantix is a fairly new prescription drug and it really works.  I've tried to quit  more times then I can count but this drug is miraculous and I've been quit for over 6 month. It will get you past the addiction.

simtal

almost got hooked on menthols but the ol lady straightened me out and do know how I avoided chewing, everyone I know does it (must be the burn you feel at first?)

however, I do enjoy a good padron or ashton cigar.

beefy

i started chewing when i was 14. just turned 31 and have not had a chew in over a year. it was pure hell the first 2 weeks ,after that  was not too bad except after meals. my little secret was cinnamon. big red gum, cinnamon bears, but the best are the good ol fireballs. it really helps.    <cowboy>

linnettejane

i am proud to say i have never taken a puff of anything and  never will.......of course watching your aunt take her last painful breath at the age of 53 dying from lung cancer due to smoking is a pretty big deterant