Blowin' somke or spittin'?

Help Support Steer Planet:

FJLranch

If there is a bad habit I have it. Smoke,drink,dip,cuss,chew,drive big 4x4's,drag the longest trailers and cows cows cows

Show Heifer

If you need help quiting, go to a cancer ward, like another mentioned.... nothing like seeing someone struggle with chemo or radiation and gasping for breath to get a new perspective.

But then again, I can remember my time I spent in a cancer ward and I was mad as hell at all those self inflicted cancer patients. They ask for it. Others led a clean life and still lay there suffering, waiting on a dr to take care of their pain, while they care for those that KNOWINGLY introduced cancer to their bodies.

Another thought for all you young boys out there.... many girls/young ladies, will not date anyone who smokes or chews... have you SMELLED the breath of someone who smokes?? Talk about a retched smell. Or kissed someone with chew stuck in their teeth. Wow, now THAT is attractive.

Many consider smoking/chewing a "coping habit" and I agree. So that leaves me with the thought of "what weakness do they have that they can not handle on their own?" 

To those that have quit: Congratulations. 
To those that smoke and chew: You can thank me later for paying your fair share of medical bills. My insurance just jumped $50 a month (an increase that has happened for the last ump-teen years). Your welcome.

Is this post politcally correct? No. It is my opinion from someone who has spent their fair share of time in a cancer ward. Deal with it.

Cattledog

Show Heifer said:
If you need help quiting, go to a cancer ward, like another mentioned.... nothing like seeing someone struggle with chemo or radiation and gasping for breath to get a new perspective.

I used to chew alot until I met my wife.  She is a nurse at a Cancer where they give chemo and also use radiation as treatments.  She told me when we started dating that I had a month to quit chewing or she would be gone.  Apparently, I really liked her because I quit in two weeks.  I will say that I still have urges....and it doesn't help that all my friends chew tobacco. 

I did have a relapse when I was with one of my friends about a year ago.  I took a dip and it had been so long since I had chewed that I almost threw up.  I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it, but now that I have a little girl that makes my determination even stronger.

Telos

Show Heifer... I agree with you, but your increase in health insurance is not due to people smoking, getting sick and dying. It probably has more to do with people not smoking and living so long that they have more medical bills from just living longer.

knabe

good observation telos.  shell game.

that's why the analysis needs to be done backwards from death and not forward from life.

FutureBreeder2013

GoWyo said:
I have quit for the 10th time in my life and am now chew free for 30 days.  Love the flavor and the nicotine hit, but want to keep my teeth and gums and not give cancer an excuse.  I have quit for up to a year before, but somehow fell back into it.  Quit while you are young or never start in the first place.  Dang it -- now I want one, but will have to settle for sunflower seeds.

im kinda in your boat. I dont ever plan on goin tabacco cuz thats one expensive hobby. Ill stick with the sunflower seeds (BBQ or Dill)

marsh

The reason health insurance and medical costs are what they are is due to the number of people getting sick that do not have insurance and those with insurance get to make up for the difference by the medical professionals charging more.  After the past year of my wife being treated for breast cancer I think I would have been better off without insurance.  I had a bill of $15,000 coming in every three weeks for six months prior to what the insurance would cover.  Unless they cover 100% those will add up in a hurry.  I hope my calves sale well this year!

RSC

Show Heifer said:

But then again, I can remember my time I spent in a cancer ward and I was mad as hell at all those self inflicted cancer patients. They ask for it. Others led a clean life and still lay there suffering, waiting on a dr to take care of their pain, while they care for those that KNOWINGLY introduced cancer to their bodies.

Another thought for all you young boys out there.... many girls/young ladies, will not date anyone who smokes or chews... have you SMELLED the breath of someone who smokes?? Talk about a retched smell. Or kissed someone with chew stuck in their teeth. Wow, now THAT is attractive.

Many consider smoking/chewing a "coping habit" and I agree. So that leaves me with the thought of "what weakness do they have that they can not handle on their own?" 

To those that have quit: Congratulations. 
To those that smoke and chew: You can thank me later for paying your fair share of medical bills. My insurance just jumped $50 a month (an increase that has happened for the last ump-teen years). Your welcome.

Is this post politcally correct? No. It is my opinion from someone who has spent their fair share of time in a cancer ward. Deal with it.
Let's condemn everyone for their faults!  I'm confident you have none!

Never touched the stuff!  (lol)  I must have issues!

Tony

Attachments

• Chew.jpg
    Chew.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 329

farwest

Hmmmmm.  A gal with chew in her teeth was a sign of a good hard workin woman back in my day.  Hell, kiss her and get a little tast of that cool refreshing flavor for nothin.

RSC

farwest said:
Hmmmmm.   A gal with chew in her teeth was a sign of a good hard workin woman back in my day.  Hell, kiss her and get a little tast of that cool refreshing flavor for nothin.
Was that gal a Herdsman?  (lol)

Tony

jtho3c

You said it! And, even though a lot of these folks may not like it, cowboys chew and we all enjoy a drink or two on the weekends!

Doc

I will say that I have never smoked & that I can't stand the smell. But I think it if someone wants to , then it's their right, they just need to respect nonsmokers rights. What amazes me is that they are trying to limit the amount of nicotine in cigs, but yet at the same time some members of legislature are considering legalizing pot , which has WAY more nicotine in it & leads to worse things.

Here is an article about what the senate did yesterday concerning cigs & nicotine.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090612/D98OQ0CG0.html

Telos

Doc said:
  I will say that I have never smoked & that I can't stand the smell. But I think it if someone wants to , then it's their right, they just need to respect nonsmokers rights. What amazes me is that they are trying to limit the amount of nicotine in cigs, but yet at the same time some members of legislature are considering legalizing pot , which has WAY more nicotine in it & leads to worse things.

Here is an article about what the senate did yesterday concerning cigs & nicotine.

Marijuana is free of nicotine and not as addictive as cigarettes. But just about everthing we do is addictive, though. At least everything that gives us some kind of pleasure. From foods to drinks including cola's. It is the physical addiction in nicotine that needs to be understood in order to help get people off.  I think better " access" to good proven programs are important in order to help people with this addiction. As an ex- smoker I feel most people who smoke want to kick the habit but many times are afraid to ask for help. I know I needed help and it was next to impossible to quit on my own.

GoWyo

ruhtram said:
How about a cold beer at the end of the day

I really like one or two of those at the end of the day.  Especially when it is hot out.  Even better before dinner.  Sometimes don't even need dinner then.  There is a pork chop in every can.

Doc

Telos said:
Doc said:

Marijuana is free of nicotine and not as addictive as cigarettes. But just about everthing we do is addictive, though. At least everything that gives us some kind of pleasure. From foods to drinks including cola's. It is the physical addiction in nicotine that needs to be understood in order to help get people off.  I think better " access" to good proven programs are important in order to help people with this addiction. As an ex- smoker I feel most people who smoke want to kick the habit but many times are afraid to ask for help. I know I needed help and it was next to impossible to quit on my own.

My bad. I meant tar & high levels of carcinogens . It may not be as addictive as tobacco, but I believe the health consequences are as bad or worse.JMO

Telos

Doc said:
Telos said:
Doc said:

My bad. I meant tar & high levels of carcinogens . It may not be as addictive as tobacco, but I believe the health consequences are as bad or worse.JMO

I agree 100% Doc. If we can just keep young people from wanting to even try some of this stuff...

jason

ruhtram said:
How about a cold beer at the end of the day

I am with you there.  I tried a cigarette, didn't do anything for me, in fact I don't think I inhaled correctly. (don't call me bill)  Tried chew and that was abruptly spit out.  But, a good cold beer, especially at the end of the day has always been to my liking.