blue heelers

Help Support Steer Planet:

worthabit

I have noticed that some of you on here have australian cattle dogs. I was looking for tips and hints on training my new pup. Photos of Dixie are attached, she should be a good feeder,that's soybean she's into!  Thanks.

Attachments

• dixie2.JPG
    dixie2.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 291

red

I have a heeler too. I wish we had done a better job working w/ him. Now all he does is either chase the cows or sleep on the porch.

There are a lot of really good books on training them. also some videos. I'd do a computer search or talk to a local breeder that actually uses them.

Red

kslivstkbroker

have had several heelers  red & blue  the temperament is the big thing, if they are hard headed u have to get there attention letting them know whos boss!penning them up sothat they learn that u  r the boss! also they dont start working livestock on their own, with out they're master present ! general obedience is very good start start as soon as possible! sit, stay,heel &  down are the first things i teach! put them on a leach when u start working with them!even when working livestock , actually the best livestock 2 train them on is ducks or geese!they learn to herd & move them with out getting to rough, or getting roughed up them self , Even though those ganders  can be mean. get them kicked or stomped by cattle or horses can ruin them ! horses have ruined more good dogs,takes a really good dog to handle them with some grit !

worthabit

Thanks for the replies. I didn't do a very good job of attaching the pictures. I have heard that there is quite a variance in their temperments. This one seems to be quite "wise" but after nearly having her house trained, she seems to have gone backwards abit!

As for the ducks, I had heard that before as well, unfortunately the only way I like my avians is on a plate!