blue roan steer(pics)

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

this is strawroanlova's blue roan steer

2s96psj.jpg

insurance guy

He looks like feedlot material to me.  I bet he will tase good, but will not be much good in the showring.

shortyjock89

I don't think he will ever be grand champion material, but a better picture could make him look a whole lot better. From what I can see, he's a little light muscled, and maybe a little narrow made.  I don't know much about him, but if you (strawroanlova) want to show him, give it your best and don't give up on him if you're set on showing him.

pigguy

idk know what he was wanting i think he wanted to know if he should try and find a calf with better hair and muscel. but since it is his first year i think it will be a good calf to start with

Steered

If it the first calf that the youngster is to show, temperment is the most important thing I think.  If the calf is tame and the child likes him, this should be a great experience.  If he (the steer) has a bad attitude then it could be a train wreck.

Ruchian

I agree that if it is for a young kid then temperament is important, but if it is for an older first timer the temperant doesn't have to be quit as good.  If you are wanting an opinion on quality a better picture would really help.

OH Breeder

maine12 said:
idk know what he was wanting i think he wanted to know if he should try and find a calf with better hair and muscel. but since it is his first year i think it will be a good calf to start with
Personally, I think he looks like he is going to be slick haired which may be okay depending on where you show. I also don't like his top. Narrow and coarse fronted. There are alot of good calves reasonable priced for first timers. I agree temperment is great but you also want a calf that will finish and make it to the market. He pinches behind his shoulders and I can not get a good look at those rear legs. I would sell him as a feeder at market and use that money for investing in a good county fair steer. Where is he or you located? There are lot of us on here that could help this person out if we knew more.
JMO

Schneider Show Calves

how old is he as of now.... dont think hes gonna be your grand champion but might make a nice calf for a starting cattle shower

TottenClubCalves

This is my brother michaels steer. Its a double stuff out of limi angus cow. It had twins, the heifer cam first and ended up dieing and momma didn't take to the bull calf so he's been bottle fed from day one. The guy he is getting him from is real old school doesn't wean till 7 months and feeds a lot of about 8 steers maybe thirty pounds a day so he's REAL green. when he was a calf I saw him though tons of hair so as long as he washes and works with him we should be able to clip him out and I figure He'll finish top have of his class hopefully 3rd. It's his first steer and I'm teaching him the ropes how to fit, clip, wash, blow everything I even invitede him to go to fort worth with me after all its my senior year so someone in the family has to take the show reins. Besides I told him this is his steer where he can make a little bit of profit and we'll take a trip up north next year and find him a steer that can compete.

strawroanlova

yeah this is the owner of the ster and ill have to agree he is not that great but ive got a year till rthe show sale and i can get the hair and muscle i need,my brother robert has been helpin me and i think we can do it