Bold Statement

Help Support Steer Planet:

SDCC

How are the Bold Statement calves? Does he calve easy? What does he seem to work best on? Anyone used him on Angus cows?

chambero

We bred 7 crossbred cows to him last year and got six calves.  None of them are among our very top calves, but none are "bad" either.  No calving problems out of mature cows.  They all had them on their own out in the pasture.  No structure problems.

Chap

I agree with Chambero.  only used a few units each of the last couple of years. conception was pretty good, calves were just nice calves.  I would not classify as a changer.  He gave a decent look, but didn't add bone, hair or muscle to the cows he was mated to.  I think his niche might be when mated to really powerful and stout TH carrier females.    He  breeds a little more frame than his sire (About Time) with a better topline, but does not contribute the hair or muscle and seems to add birth weight. IMO

CAB

I bought one last fall, and I would agree with Chambero assessment. Our's is out of simi X cow, stout, deep, & wide. Has a lot of hair that is long & curly., very smart calf, maybe the smartest calf that I have ever been around, and I mean it in a good way. Little dirty fronted, and I don't know if she will be a fit for the show ring, but I will enjoy mating her up. I think that she'll be a good cow.

afhm

The ones I have been aound come easy and early.  He has a shorter gestation and very potent semen, some friends that used him got 90% bred with him.  We are thinking about using him to hopefully back up a few cows that are calving a little later than we want. 

Jill

So does he add enough frame to breed to really stout smaller framed Heat Wave cows?

Sly

We put one straw in one cow got a bull.  Straight angus cow that is just decent and very common. The calf gained very well and got sold to trader.  I agree good bull but use him on those good carrier cows and probably get a good one.

CAB

Jill, the heifer that I bought was out of a simi X angus cow that I would have called a FS 6 -6.2. I think that our heifer will be 5.7,5.8 or what I would call moderate framed & extremely thick chested. I think that Hannibal on her in another year may work. This year I may try Dirty Harry or Joe on her.