Bovine TB in Manitoba

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

The situation in Manitoba is very similar to that in both Michigan and Minnesota where wildlife (white-tailed deer and elk) are believed to be the reservoir for bovine TB, spreading to cattle by infected feed, water sources, and rarely by direct wildlife - cattle contact.

Canada Confirms Bovine TB Case in Manitoba
5/12/2008
Pro Farmer Editors

Bovine tuberculosis (TB) has been confirmed in a five-year-old beef cow from a herd in Manitoba, according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), although the agency says there is no public health risk associated with this case.

The herd is located within 10 kilometers of Riding Mountain National Park, in a portion of the Riding Mountain Eradication Area (RMEA) that is considered to be at highest risk for bovine TB. The herd was tested in March 2008 under CFIA's enhanced surveillance program and the test result for this cow was considered to be suspicious. The animal was ordered destroyed and tissue samples were submitted to the CFIA laboratory in Ottawa for further testing. Bovine TB was confirmed on May 1. No part of the infected cow entered the human or animal food chain. There is no public health risk associated with this case.

This finding does not affect Manitoba’s status as bovine TB-free under the Health of Animals Regulations, CFIA said, and Canada’s status for international trade of animals and animal products is not affected by this finding.

The CFIA is working closely with the operator of the infected farm in conducting the investigation into this case. All susceptible animals determined to have been exposed to bovine TB will be ordered destroyed and compensation will be paid to the owner.

While Canada’s livestock herds are considered to be free from bovine TB, cases such as this one occur from time-to-time. Whenever an infected herd is found, the CFIA institutes measures to contain and eradicate the outbreak. The policy of requiring the immediate, humane destruction of all infected animals and any exposed susceptible animals is the only proven way to eliminate the disease. Under the enhanced surveillance program, livestock herds located in the RMEA undergo periodic testing for bovine TB.

The infected cow was in a herd of 240 cattle, which was among the approximately 200 herds scheduled for testing during the fall/winter/spring of 2007/2008. The last finding of bovine TB in Manitoba occurred in March 2004.

While bovine TB primarily affects ruminant animals (cattle, bison, elk, deer, goats and sheep), it can affect all types of mammals, including humans. Infection in humans results from prolonged, close contact with an infected animal or the consumption of unpasteurized milk from an infected cow. If persons who were exposed to the diseased cow are identified, the appropriate public health follow-up will be initiated.

REM

DL, MN has applied for split state status. It is my understanding that if it is granted the bulk of the state will move up to level 2?. Which means that we will only have to do individual test instead of the whole herd testing for out of state transport of breeding animals. I have also been told that some states will not recognize the split state status, thus the reason why MN did not apply for it earlier. Do I have it right ?

DL

Currently ALL states in the US are considered TB FREE EXCEPT
Michigan
Minnesota
New Mexico

The USDA classification of TB goes from Free (which is good) ---->
Modified Accredited Advanced aka MAA (less good) ----->
Modified Accredited aka MA (more less good) --->
Accredited Prepatory and
Non accredited (bad  :()

The USDA determines what the state or zones status is based on a host of things including the number of infected herds in a certain period of time

Michigan has 3 zones: the upper peninsula is Free, the top of the lower peninsula is MA, and the bottom of the lower peninsula is MAA. All TB infected cattle have been found in the MA zone - this is 44 herds

Minnesota has applied for zoning, it is now I think MA, but since TB is localized near Pipestone they could have a zone there

New Mexico has (again I think) an area of MAA -  a little chunk that is not TB free

Each state can determine what rules that want in regards to TB - ie they do not have to follow USDA guidelines as long as the rules are more stringent than USDAs ....for example Illinois considers the entire state of Michigan to be MA - they do not recognize zones - so for MI cattle to go to Illinois they must have a whole herd test and 2 individual tests (all with in a specific time period and all negative) - some states are more difficult than others.

REM you pretty much have it right - if you are going out of state you need to make sure you or your vet aggressively talk to the state of destination - if you get an answer that doesn't make sense ask to speak to the vet. Some states have real good people in the state vets office re TB, others aren't always on top of it and it changes all the time.  If it doesn't make sense it probably is wrong ;)

Accredited free state status is not to be confused with accredited herd status  ;)

We have lived this for over a decade, I'd be glad to answer any questions

From the USDA
    *  Accredited Free: Zero prevalence, no findings of TB in cattle or bison for the previous five years.
    * Modified Accredited Advanced: Prevalence of TB in cattle and bison in the past two years is less than 0.01%.
    * Modified Accredited: Prevalence of TB in cattle and bison in the past year is less than 0.1%.
    * Accreditation Preparatory: Prevalence of TB in cattle and bison is less than 0.5%.
    * Nonaccredited: Prevalence of TB affected herd is unknown or prevalence is 0.5% or greater.

red

so, in other words each state has it's own rules & procedures? Doesn't that get confusing if you're selling or shipping cattle from one to another?
Also- did the ear tag w/ ID every take place in MI?

thanks, Red

REM

The case in Pipestone is new to me and too close ( 70 miles). What would your suggestion be as to when to do a whole herd test. I know no other shots can be given until after the test is read. Concerned with conception rates and/or running preg cow through an extra time.  The vets here taking a wait and see attitude as when and if the state gets split. Thanks.

DL

REM - I think you have a couple of choices---

1. If you want to become TB accredited free (your herd) which may (emphasize may) make it easier to sell/move your cattle out of state you may want to get a copy of the accreditation rules (they are a bit of a pain if you show a lot of buy a lot)  and peruse them to see if it is worth you while - in that case you would need 2 annual whole herd tests (and a bunch of paperwork etc) to become accredited free. I have (somewhere) a pdf of these rules I can send you once I find them

2. If that doesn't appeal to you it is likely that there will be some surveillance in the state that is paid for by the state or the feds - you could wait and then do what "you were told" - ie in Michigan all dairy, beef, bison, goats and captive cervids were tested once - then we had random surveillance (drawn by computer)

Depending on your cows temperament, your facilities, your vet etc) ie if your cows are calm and used to going in the chute - it should not affect fertility - one thing to think about when deciding when to test is what could be going on - ie if you have a suspect (and there is a 5% false positive rate) you will need another test and you will be quarantined until that test is done and the results are negative  - I test my herd annually in May - it does not appear to affect fertility. You can do vaccinations etc on the same trip thru after the test is read...hope that helps some

YUP - every state has their own rules (states autonomy -ask knabe!), and yes they can change whenever they want to, and yes it is very confusing when selling/moving cattle to different states - if you are in a state with issues it is a real good idea to call the state of destination every time you go to move cattle -  ;)