Breaking?

Help Support Steer Planet:

KDSC

Would it be possible to break a full grown hereford cow?? She is fairly calm, what do you think

renegade

How old and big is she?  How use to humans is she?  Before i was able to break this hereford bull of mine he was probably 900+ lbs and he had been around people a lot, i just went out put a halter on him and he pulled back maybe 2 times and he just walked out behind me and this summer i used him over any other animal in showmanship because he behaves soooo well. I think it would just have a lot to do with your cow's personality, size and exposer

KDSC

she is about 5 years old, not much human contact but still not crazy, she is probally 1000lbs since she hasnt had much pasture. but i think if i brought her in and started messing with her in my free time i could have her broke by febuaury

renegade

I think it is absolutely possible. When i get my animals in i get them use to grain and them i will go out with a bucket at feed it to them out of my hand, it seems like they trust me more after that. Just go out and spend as much time as possible with her every day... if possible, it helps move things along. What are you bringing her up for? Do you raise herefords?

KDSC

yes we raise herefords O0 nope they look more like this  8)  ;D), and simmy angus cow calf pairs, we have a low end county fair so i was thinking i would breed my hereford cow that brings in the dough(not really just weans a big calf) to a clubbie bull to see if we could get a 1/2 decent prospect for our county fair. We have all over our heifers broke, and now i need to start on our 2 steers, and i have found that in our set up it works best too halter break 3 at a time, so i figured what the heck, i might as well bring her up halter break her, and breed her in april. and then when she has her calf we will be able to work with them easier, and plus i have nothing else to do ::)

renegade

In your opinion why does groups of three work best? Im just wondering we had three last year and it worked pretty good

KDSC

well we have an alley way that fits 3 calves perfectly, and when you even have two calves together they are calmer, and the reason i like 3 is you can lead the second calmest one off and tie it and then get the craziest one and take it to the calmer one an dthen go and get th ecalmest one and you can tie it up by the others, and that way you always have a calmer one with the crazy one, and eventully he will settle down.  And if we ever have a group of 3 calves all be wild we have 3 donkeys we can put them on ;D hope i helped a little. if you have any other questions just ask

KDSC

fine with me ask away, i have nothing else today while, i  wait for my leg to heal

renegade

Im am just sitting here watching Coyote Ugly... Great Movie btw and playing on the computer. First question what did you do to your leg?

KDSC

i broke it. You should never work on top of combines when it is super windy. ;D

renegade

My little red calf will lead out pretty good one day and then the next he wont do anything. i work him and the blue roan at the same time and the blue one just keeps improving. Ive just kept working with him and hes pretty tame he just doesnt want to work sometimes... any suggestions? To look at the silver lining all that happened to you was you broke your leg... ive seen the stories (like the one on the today show a couple of weeks ago) where they get the arm or some thing stuck and the lose that limb

Latest posts