Breeding Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

showstick09

I have a heifer that will be 14 months old at the beginning of November. I was wanting to breed her as soon as possible, and I was going to get her AIed. Does that sound too young for some of yall? I was just wanting some opinions on the youngest age you would breed a heifer. Thanks.

OH Breeder

It depends on the breed of heifer. I have had some heifers that matured rapidly and were growthy for 14 months. If the heifer is smaller stature etc wait a bit. Others might see different. Usually we like to breed so they calve at 2 yrs old. But, that is not set in stone. It is dependant on the heifer.

showstick09

I will try to post a picture of the heifer. She is kind of an odd cross. The mom was kind of a braferd (sp?) cross and the dad was a limi.

TJ

FWIW, I actually bred some 10.5 month old Tarentaise heifers to a Lowline bull.  All calved unassisted & 1/2 of them bred up one heat cycle the next year.  But, I wouldn't do that with any other breed of bull. 

Since you are probably breeding her to a full sized bull, I would want her to be 15 months before I bred her, if it were me.  That extra month maturity at calving will make a difference & it is better to be safe than sorry with a 1st calf heifer... at least that is my motto.   

Latest posts