Breeding

Help Support Steer Planet:

FriedgesCharolais

I know a person should wait around 60 days postpartum before you try to breed a cow but I am curious what people's luck has been breeding on the first heat postpartum? I was out in the lot and one of my cows calved on June 13th. I just happened to be walking through and saw she had a mucus discharge yesterday. I would like to get this cow moved up so she will get back to calving with the rest our cows. If she had a discharge does that mean that I could put a cidr in her in a couple days and set her up to get bred shortly?

Thanks

CAB

Just a quick very simple strait forward reply. No. The discharge means absolutely nothing other than it is normal and she is cleaning up her uterus.

hardenblu2

We give a shot of lute on day 11, after calving,then breed on the second heat. some where around the 45 day mark. this has worked very well for us. We only do the lute on cows we want to move up or A.I. although some cows will breed back on the first heat not all of them will and semen isn't cheap enough to try it on very many. If we had just one or two and were going to use less expensive semen I wouldn't be afraid to breed her on the first 21 day heat after the lute shot. Probably 40 to 50% chance of sticking her.

pweaver

You say you Lute on day 11 after calving.  Do they show estrus on day 14?  If so, the second heat would be around day 35 after calving.  Is this correct?  You said around day 45.

We had a cow this year calve on May 3. On May 22 she was in standing heat.  Our embryologist was coming anyway on the 29th so we had him check her. He said she had been in heat but he advised against putting an egg in her this time.  He had us short cycle her with Lute and we implanted her June 17.  On July 15 she blood tested bred.

hardenblu2

The shot is to help the cow clean her uterus.  And you are right on the time line it allows us to a I them sooner in an attempt to jump them up. The 45 days is when we a I if we haven't used the lute, instead of weighting til 60 days, unless it would make her calve to early. We aren't trying to bring them in to heat at 11 days the vet told us it would help prepare the cow to breed earlier. And I have no idea why its 11 instead of another day, thats a vet question.

pweaver

The shot of Lute on day 11 is used in every situation when it is subsequent to a repro event, i.e. aborting an unwanted pregnancy, short cycling if they did not respond to a sync procedure, cleaning the uterus, etc.  It's just the time after a repro event when everything is ready to go again.

I have always thought about Luting, maybe not 11 days after calving, but maybe 30 - 40 days after to get the cow back in an estrus cycle.  Whether I'm moving them earlier or just getting them in "breeding mode".  Then start watching for heats 21 days later and breed or put them on "fertile heat" cycles to breed at 70 - 80 days post-partum.