Broken Hearted

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond

I purchased a steer ( I also purchased a heifer from the same sale) from a sale back in October, I was told that he would be reg. and the papers would be sent to me. Now, here it is Jan. and I have yet to receive them, and what's even worse they haven't replied to my emails. The steer is a DR. who, who is turning into one heck of a showsteer that I want to enter in purebred steer classes. Will I be doomed if these people dont send me the papers or is there an alternative method for req. them? And dose anyone have a suggestions? has anyone had this same problem? Is there a way to avoid a predicament like this?

common sense

You might consider talking to the breed association about the problem.  They might be able to advise.

Show Dad

D - If you haven't tried calling I would do that first to the seller or sale manager. If no response I would place a call to the association and see if its hung up there or if they can be of any assistance.

It's no fun waiting for these registration papers. And it seems to be a problem with just about all of the associations. You would think that in this computerized age a seller or sales manager could almost do it on the spot at least electronically. To me it would be a great service to the  customer. I know, customer service is such an antiquated concept.

Good luck.

renegade

Do you have the name/number of the ex-owners and did the guarentee papers? If we want more info on a horse from the auction we ask the brand inspector for their name and number when we get our paper work. Can you contact the breed association he is suppose to be registered under and ask them if you have any other options? The old owners owe it to you, you probably put out quite a bit of money (even if they arent the most expensive its still a lot) to buy these animals and it was prob worth it to you to spend a little more money on a registered steer and if they dont give you papers i would ask for a discount.

rmbcows

Before I got too upset, I'd try giving them a phone call.  Peoples e-mail addresses can change and they may not even be getting your e-mails.  A change in service providers or their computer may have even quit, who knows.  Give them a call and if you still don't get any satisfaction, then I'd take further action.  Be sure to tell them what an awesome steer he's turning into, they'll for sure want to take the credit for raising him if they think he'll do some advertising for them.   Best of luck to you!

red

call them & the assoc. Sometimes they can help you. I'd also call the sales manager. I had to one year. just kept bugging him to death.

Good luck! It's sad when it's that hard!

Red

DLD

I agree that you need to call the sellers, like rmbcows said, there are too many if's with email, especially if you aren't used to using it regularly (you may be, but the seller might not). Also, in some states, registration papers aren't what you need to be able to show your steer in a particular breed division. Maybe the seller is not aware that you need them, if they're from a place that doesn't use them. I think some breed associations don't even issue a registration certificate for steers.
I assume you've gotten the papers on your heifer, since you didn't say you were concerned about them - did the steer come from the same seller and/or breeder?

Diamond

Well, I did what everyone advised, or rather my mother did and gave them a call. I talked to the guy when he called my cell phone back and he gave me an attitude and a half. However he did tell me I would get them in a week and then he hung up, no goodbye no nothing. Well its been over three weeks and no papers on ether my heifer or my steer, so I have tried calling and e-mailing but it seems to be getting me no where. I had intended to go back to their sale next year with some friends of mine but after this I would be hard pressed to be a repeat buyer. So again im in need of suggestions, my first show is coming up in a few months and I really want to be able to put them in the reg. classes. This was the first production sale at a farm I have gone to, I usually buy my show stock from the Ohio beef expo sale or the breeders at the NAILE, and im not sure if ill ever go to another one. This has really made me lose faith in purchasing stock when the papers aren't right there and they aren't already at a show. For this was not the only issue I discovered, they played the animals off as being halter broken and they where not, in fact the heifer I bought had defiantly not been handled. I realize it is buyer beware at a sale, but to play things up, be nice to your customers till they leave, and then give them the cold shoulder, I guess I had more trust in breeders till now. :'(

Jill

If you still have the sale catalog, bill of sale and pedigree of the animal, get ahold of the breed association, let them know what has transpired and they will be able to help you get papers.
Don't let 1 bad experience with a sale stop you from going (just not to that one) in all of the years we have been buying animals at sales I have only had 1 time that I didn't receive papers and still haven't so it does happen, just not that often.  Good luck

chambero

You are wanting to show him as a purebred of what breed?  Dr. Who is registered as a Chi I know, but he isn't purebred.  If you are wanting him registered as something different (as a purebred), thats where your problem begins and why they may be having trouble getting it done. 

That kind of thing happens all the time and I've bought calves that someone got me papers on after the fact.  However, you really don't have a legal leg to stand on in these situations.  If that calf was listed in a catalog as one thing, you can't make them register it incorrectly. 

If you are trying to register it as a Chi, fill out the registration forms yourself and call the Chi Assocation.  One time I had bought a bull registed as a Maintainer that I decided a couple of years later to get  registered as a Chi.  I filled out the paperwork and the Chi Assoc. called the breeder and got him to review and sign it. 

If you aren't dealing with Chis, call the specific association and see if paperwork has been turned in.  I've had lots of papers take longer than 3 months to get to me.

Jill

Dr. Who bred to a purebred will give you a Maine heifer, but since he isn't 1/2 blood it is my understanding that you can't register a steer out of him, so your only choice would be Chi for a steer, unless there is something different on the Dam side.

garybob

red said:
call them & the assoc. Sometimes they can help you. I'd also call the sales manager. I had to one year. just kept bugging him to death.

Good luck! It's sad when it's that hard!

Red
Another reason I tend to side with the "performance" camp within the Shorthorn Breed, is, well, I've heard too many horror stories about pedigree transfers, and the cost of those cattle ( that stand a good chance of being breeding nightmares) . It just don't make sense to me.

Y'all do what you want to.

GB

Latest posts