Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

mp

What is a good AI bull that will add frame size, is softer made, without who or meyer in his pedigree that has a birth weight in the low 80's, Also need a bull that will add depth of body that is softer made with b.w. in low 80s.

red

(welcome) mp!

Are you looking for a Maine bull or a cross or any paticular breed? Are you looking for club calves (steers) or more along the line of wanting breeding stock?

Red

red

I've liked some of the Man Childs I've seen. Direct Hit is also a good choice. For more of a high % bull, Hard Core is one I've used too.

Red

Show Heifer

Another HUGE consideration: Do you want to breed to a carrier? Both Direct hit and Man Child carry SOMETHING.
And I hear manchild is a bit heavy and square at birth!!

TC Freedom - angus bull, small calves, grow like weeds, will soften the look without sacrificing style.
I have high hopes for Jakes Proud Jazz, although I don't think he will add frame.
Sin City - another shortie, maybe a bit big on BW but heard is ok for larger more mature heifers.
Witch Doctor - a mainstay
Ali - can't forget him.....

All of these bulls are clean pedigreed and will do what I think your after, but hard to say....what are your cows/heifers your breeding to???

OH Breeder

Personal experience with Sin City NO HEIFERS. Cranked one out the first year he came out. Adds bone, hair and a bit of frame. Cleans up the neck as well. I am not sure that he will add depth of body. Hard to say.
What are the cows you are breeeing? When you say clubbies, what are they Maine x Simmi, Hienz 57 or what? That makes a difference too. There are alot of options.

mp

The cow I am talking about is a who x meyer. She is currently bred to grizz and this will be her 4th calf. She is a power house, freaky fronted and deep sided. I would like to breed her to something that is larger framed and might soften her up a bit as she is pretty tight wound.

cowz

OH Breeder said:
Personal experience with Sin City NO HEIFERS. Cranked one out the first year he came out. Adds bone, hair and a bit of frame. Cleans up the neck as well. I am not sure that he will add depth of body. Hard to say.
What are the cows you are breeeing? When you say clubbies, what are they Maine x Simmi, Hienz 57 or what? That makes a difference too. There are alot of options.

OH Breeder, What do you think of your sin city calves?  I assume they were spring calves.  We have a few in our sale next month.  We will see how they perform on some feed here shortly.  We did not have any calving problems, but they were out of appendix cows.  Time will tell!

red

I guess I've liked the ManChild calves I've seen. Another suggestion for a clubby bull is SunSeeker. His heifer aren't too bad either. These are for the cow though.

Red

cowz

If the cow is not too coarse shouldered, try Xerox.  (Faber, TH free)  Other options that may add some softness and throw some incredible calves could be Sunseeker or Money Talks.  (Who are THC).  Have you tested your cow?

Jill

Sun Seeker is a good option, but I don't know how much frame he will add, another one that might work would be Dr. Who.

red

I think he has a WMW cow so that's why I didn't suggest him.
Cowz- your boys did real well w/ a SunSeeker steer didn't they? What is he like frame size?

Red

mp

I have seen manchild, personally dont like him. Ive had bad luck with line breeding so no Dr. Hook. What are the b.w's on xerox and money talks, and will they add frame? Like I said before she is small framed so she cant have a big calf. I have thought about sunseeker but dont know if he adds frame. Also thought about money shot, what is everyones thoughts on him?

Jill

I don't find a picture on any of the semen sites, so I am guessing Money Shot is a new bull and if you can't have a calf over 80 pounds I would not recommend using an unproven bull.  I ran a list of bulls with under 80 pound bw on SEK site and the only one that fits what you are looking for that I see is Wells Fargo, have never used him and don't know much about him, but he is a clean Direct Hit son with under 80 bw.  I guess I would question why on earth you would keep a 4th calf cow that can't have a calf over 80 pounds.  I would recommend you sell the cow and buy one that can have a clubby calf if that is what you are wanting to raise.

Jill

Sorry on the Dr. Who, I have typed his name in the Maine site and it didn't show WMW as the Sire, I was looking at the wrong one, my bad.

cowz

red said:
I think he has a WMW cow so that's why I didn't suggest him.
Cowz- your boys did real well w/ a SunSeeker steer didn't they? What is he like frame size?

Red

Don't want to brag.....but "got it done" over 108 other calves with a sunseeker.  He really had the "look", goose fronted, deep flanked, "enough" in the quarter and in the rib......excellent hair.  He was finished at 1275...easy feeder.  So as far as frame size--on the larger end of "moderate".  Attitude wise, pretty good for a heat seeker decendent!

If the cow in question wasnt a who made who, I would have suggested Hanibal.  I have seen a few Money Talks calves and most of them seem moderate framed.  Look at Faber's website to look at Xerox.  We have not used him, but I admire how he looks as far as mating to a cow that needs the compliment of depth of rib and flank.

DL

mp said:
I have seen manchild, personally dont like him. Ive had bad luck with line breeding so no Dr. Hook. What are the b.w's on xerox and money talks, and will they add frame? Like I said before she is small framed so she cant have a big calf. I have thought about sunseeker but dont know if he adds frame. Also thought about money shot, what is everyones thoughts on him?

A small framed cow with a small pelvic area cannot have a big calf  - however a small sized cow with an adequate or big pelvic area should be able to. Do not confuse frame size with pelvic area -Witch Doctor should add frame and has decent birth weight EPDs - calves are functional and showey - with Grizz you might get a really really small framed calf ;D

mp

She doesnt have a small pelvic area she has had every calf unassisted besides one that came backwards. She is very capapble of having low 80 pound birth weight calves. I just dont want any monsters. As far as why we keep her around; because she is a power house who has good calves. I would just like to soften them up a tick and add some frame to them. We have had some grizz calves in the past that were plenty big framed, I was just looking for options for next year if this calf is not a great one. I also would love to use hannibal, think this would be a perfect match BUT he is a WMW. I still would like to know if sunseeker will add frame.

Jill

I don't see how he could with the breeding he carries. All of the Sunseekers I have seen are moderate framed, but there are some really good ones out there.

OH Breeder

cowz said:
OH Breeder said:

OH Breeder, What do you think of your sin city calves?   I assume they were spring calves.  We have a few in our sale next month.  We will see how they perform on some feed here shortly.  We did not have any calving problems, but they were out of appendix cows.  Time will tell!
I used Sin City on a Byland Cindy Beauty heifer. She was large framed. The calf she had was a grower, he was 115# coming out, freaky front long bodied and great hair and bone. BUT, he ended up 54" and 1400 plus as a steer. Great tempermant. I used him on some smaller made double vision cows this year. I do like the neck extension and the softer apprearance. Think that he works with the right cows. Send me some pics if ya like.