C-Seciton on Cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

We've never had a C-section done before. 

But we had a mature cow this weekend try to have a calf breech.  We started trying to get hold of him, all we could find was the tail and the butt.  Took a whole lot of effort to get the back legs positioned and started through.  It nearly killed her and us, but we finally got it pulled the old-fashioned way.  Calf was already dead and cow isn't up yet, but I think she'll be ok.  Calf wasn't unusually large, he just appeared to be twisted and the back legs were folded under.  She is alert and getting better. 

Just wondering what all is involved on actually doing a C-Section on a cow.  Does the cow ever really recover and can she have calves again?  How severe is the infection risk, etc?  What do vets typically charge.  Trying to decide in the future if its worth messing with or not.

showcattlegal

We have  a cow that we had to do a c section on last year and she bred back this year. I know a lot of people that still use them for many years after as long as you take care of her and make sure she don't get infected.

DL

C- section is often easier on the cow and the cowboy! Need good restraint - cow is given some sort of local anesthetic - this varies with vet - sometimes a nerve block (ie from the nerves near the vertebrae) - sometimes a line block (just where the incision is being made).  Generally don't give the cow anything systemic (ie sedative) unless the cow is a man killer or the calf is already dead. Incision is made on left side (usually), uterus is pulled to the side and exteriorized, incision made in uterus, generally chains put on calf and calf is pulled out - don't want all the uterine fluid in the abdomen esp in the calf has been dead and rotten - set up for infection, Uterus is sewn up, peritoneum, muscle skin is sutured. Sometimes uterus will be flushed with saline. Sometimes cow will be given antibiotics.

If the calf is alive or freshly dead chance for full recovery and rebreeding is good. If the calf is dead and rotten or the uterus is torsed (twisted) chance for full recovery and rebreeding is pretty poor - many vets do not like doing them - they are a tremendous amount of work and time - but for a "simple" dystocia they are a very good option. Ask your vet if he/she does C-sections on the farm or if you can haul in.......sorry about your calf - is the cow up yet?

chambero

Thanks for the info DL.  I was hoping you'd chime in.

On the infection issue, cow is probably a goner anyway (at least for productivity) if you get a bad infection/rotted calf anyway.  Luckily on this one that wasn't the case.

Not sure if she is up or not - but she moved 20 feet overnight per daylight report from father-in-law.  She could have just "scooted".  But better than no movement at all.  I'll be hauling water out to her tonight after work.  Of course she tried to have the thing down in a timbered draw of course where she is hard to get to which kept us from catching it quicker.

Tx Black Steer

We had a vet do a C-section on a heifer last year.  Calf came out just fine.  Everything went great.  Ended up selling the calf for a show steer here in Texas.  She bred back fine, but lost the calf for one reason or another at about 6 months.  She had suck a good calf the first time and is such a good cow we are gonna give her another chance.  People tell me she will be O.K.

CAB

Chambero, I've had between 10&20 done over the years, and all of the heifers/cows went on to lead normal productive lives but one. She was the only cow that we did a C on that had a dead calf inside her, and she had twins in her dead. It was a save the cow type of deal, but she did not make it through the surgery. If done on time, you won't have a great risk and the cows will recover well. As far as costs are concerned, I would assume that will vary with demand and available vets in your area that do C's. Cab

justintime

We had our first C- section on our farm, about 70 years after my grandfather moved here. In 104 years on this place we have only had 3 Shorthorn C-sections. One was a twisted uterus, two backwards calves, in heifers,  that we could not pop up into the birth canal, and decided to do  c-section while the calves were alive rather than have to do it after they were dead. All three calves were alive.
We have had a few more C-sections in two other breeds we have owned in the past 25 years. We dispersed both these breeds almost 5 years ago now, and have not had a vet assisted birth since. My vet would look like the Maytag repairman if I didn't have neighbours.
I can only remember one c- section female that came in open, in the ones we have had. maybe we were lucky, but I have really been amazed how quickly some of them rebred after having a zipper.

kanshow

We have had several c-sections done over the years for various reasons.  Most of the time, the cow rebred and went on to have a productive life.    We'd rather have a section done than a hard pull - less damage to cow and calf.

We had one vet that we call as a very last resort, he does not like to do sections.  We've gotten to where we tell him we have acow that needs a section and that's what we want.  He would rather hack away at the rear end of a cow doing his version of an episiotomy.  Those cows almost always end up with an infection and no matter what we do, the death loss on the cow/heifer is at least 50%.  The calf is usually traumitized (if it lives thru the pull). 

shortdawg

I've had them done a couple of times and helped do more. I've seen mixed results with the cows ; some breed back and some don't. Personally, I think it's better than a hard pull which could damage her reproductive tract permanently. The ones I've seen done were all done with the cow standing with a small table at side the lay the uterus on to get the calf out. They cost in the $ 250 - $ 300 range.