Calving Ease, Birth Weight and EPD's

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeBnTN

Not sure if I should have posted this in JiT’s bull sale post or in the “Schrag bull” post below, but since the topic of calving ease and birth weight is running through both threads and it’s that time of year for most of us, I’ll thought I’d just start a new one here.

When you bring up the subject of calving ease and birth weight (at least in the Shorthorn breed) you are certain of only one thing – a diversity of opinions!  While few would debate that the birth weight of Shorthorns has been going up for the better part of the past two decades, not everyone agrees it’s a problem.  For some, especially those who may have a tendency toward the show ring, selection pressures have focused on total growth. Whether that growth was measured in frame size or weight, the demand for an animal to fulfill its maximum potential has led many to accept an increase in birth weight in order to achieve the desired level of performance.  The economics of this market segment, where a single animal may determine financial success or failure, provide the incentive for “risk and reward” selection and an acceptable level of loss due to their choice of genetics.

For those breeders who have developed a more commercially oriented marketplace, their customer base demands an animal designed to optimize performance.  These cattle are expected to be efficient on forages, low input and problem free.  Their profit/loss profile is based on each animal achieving its optimum level of performance and contributing to the total revenue.  Their needs are different and accordingly, their genetic and phenotypic selections are different.

When we add the distinct differences and needs of our neighbors to the north, where the environmental and economic selection pressures still favor a larger framed, higher performing animal, we find these cattle to often be bigger outlined, naturally stouter structured with more true volume and capacity.  Accordingly their acceptable birth weights may prove to be slightly higher than their American counterparts.  Yet, as importantly they want a vigorous, healthy calf that can thrive in harsher conditions, yet this level of vigor is negatively correlated with significantly heavier birth weights, adding another dimension to the calf size debate.

Interestingly the Shorthorn breed has the genetic diversity to satisfy the needs of each unique marketplace, providing breeders with the genetics needed to allow them to produce cattle that satisfy their own interests and allow them to make a profit.

But as JiT has referenced, the issue with the use of EPD’s in selection for the Shorthorn breed is indeed real and the inability for breeders to fully rely on their accuracy restricts their use and limits their value to all producers.  There seems to be little doubt that much of the problem stems from the lack of accurate reporting of data, to assure that the calculations are truly reflective of a sire or dam’s production ability.  When only those cattle that have acceptable numbers are reported, it severely restricts the validity and use of the information. Whether it’s the owner of a “show ring sire” refusing to turn in birth weights over a 100 pounds or the breeder of a “calving ease” bull omitting those calves that weaned at 400 pounds, the lack of complete and accurate data is hurting the breed.

I’m in agreement with JiT, that EPD’s alone don’t tell the whole story and are simply another important tool to use in selection.  For many years I had the opportunity to work with one of the Southeast’s largest performance Angus herds – a herd that had been closed for 20 years.  When the decision was made to use outside genetics, we quickly found out that, even in the Angus breed, with tremendous performance records, that the numbers only told part of the story.  Using bulls with nearly identical performance profiles, we found great variability in phenotype and performance – including calving ease.  Some of the bigger framed, later maturing bulls had the highest birth weights AND the easiest calving.  Some of the light birth weight bulls – those that produced the smaller framed, muscle bulls gave us real problems – yet the calves all weighted 75-85 pounds – they were just too wide and too stout. The same holds true in the Shorthorn breed and I think the variability may be widest between American and Canadian cattle.  Over the past decade the cattle we’ve brought in from Canada are typically wider made with more rib and bone. At the same time they are probably a little coarse and not as “pretty” as our US bred cattle.  Once in production, the Canadian cows seem to handle a larger calf easier and birth weight is less of an issue.

Looking at where we are today, it would appear that for most - the focus should be on developing those cattle that best meet their environment and their production goals.  With the diversity inherent in our cattle industry, the genetics exist that should enable any breeder to meet their (and their customers) needs.  The old saying that “one size fits all” is certainly not true in the cattle business and any breeder who thinks that they can design one animal that will meet the environmental, production and management needs of everyone in the industry is fooling themselves.

justintime

I agree with you Joe, and maybe I am wrong, but I really question if all our birth weights have gone up in the Shorthorn breed in the last couple of decades. In our herd, and I think most herds in our area, I think our birth weights are actually lower on average than in the mid 80s.There were many monster BWs in that era from an assortment of sires and bloodlines. I can remember lots of big BW calves sired by some Irish sires, and some other sires of that era.  Maybe we do not have the same concentration of some of the most popular American bloodlines, but if anything, I expect it may not be as much an increase in birthweights as it is a decrease in calving ease that we are seeing. And of course the male of the species gets all the blame for this.

I have a hunch that if there is a problem here, one of the reasons is we are changing the shape of the mother cow in ways that are pleasing to the eye and to the show ring, and as a result of this, we are creating problems that Mother Nature never intended to happen.  Everyone talks about a good heifer having a big square hip, which usually means her pin bones are placed higher than they should be. To have proper calving ability, a females pin bones should be situated considerably lower than her hook bones. Take a look at a Brahman female. You don't hear of calving problems in this breed, and you could breed a Brahman female to an elephant and she would calve it. Most Brahman breeders do not worry about birth weight, at least to the extent that we do in other beef breeds. I have felt for some time that some of our show ring selection ideas has completely gone against common sense cattle mentality, and a part of this problem has been caused by a group of college trained judges who have probably never had to raise a herd of cows and calve them out. We have far too many judges in our show rings who can talk the talk..... but they can not walk the walk. Some of them would survive in whatever they did, as they are intelligent and excellent judges. There are also others, that I think could not survive trying to make a living in the real world of this business without substantial income coming in. But that is a discussion for another day.

I really really want to be able to put my faith in EPDs and I want to believe that they are a meaningful tool for myself and anyone else to use as an aid in selection of superior breeding stock. That said, I also believe that if EPDs were totally accurate, that we still have to base a large part of our selection using our knowledge and our common sense. Here is an example:  Just a few days ago, I attended a sale of another breed, where there was a bull selling with incredible EPDs.... low BW EPD and incredible growth and milk. He was supposed to be a sale feature. When I saw this bull, I wondered if he had been built by a committee. He had terrible legs, and even worse feet.His toes crossed and he was only 14 months old.  He was probably the weakest bull in the sale in the heart area. He was very tight made through the heart area, and I could almost predict that he would not survive in some pastures. By his numbers, he could have been a Million dollar sire. By his phenotype, he was a bull you would not want to use in your herd.  What I am saying, is that I think we need to use our eyes to find the best animals by visual means. Once that is done, we need to have accurate EPDs to finalize the selection process and help us decide which animal best combines the visual traits we want along with the performance based traits offered by the EPDs.

In my previous post in the Sun Country thread, I listed our present herd sires EPDs,  to try to make a point. I do not believe anyone could determine which of these sires would work best for them  by using the numbers. As I stated in that post, all the EPDs on my herd sires does for me is make me question the EPDs on any other and probably all other animals. I am sure that there are many animals in the breed that have very accurate EPDs, but how do I know which ones are accurate and which ones are not. I honestly have no idea how the EPDs on my herd bulls were derived as they make little sense to me. I am absolutely positive that some of these numbers are totally wrong. So.... how do I determine which ones are right and which ones are wrong? I agree that as accuracies go higher, the numbers should become more accurate, but in the case of my herd bulls, I do not see this happening.

As I mentioned before, I get a really sick feeling when I see people selecting cattle based only on the EPDs a group of animals has. We have posted the EPDs of our bulls in our sale catalog, but I will guarantee you that all the best bulls are not included in the best EPDs. There is much more to good selection that just using numbers... even if they were totally accurate.

There is a growing tendency for many to throw all animals of a particular bloodline under the train, if it is related to an animal with some poor EPDs. Much has been said about Salute being a bull that is going to destroy the breed. I do not agree with this theory. I will agree that there are some of his progeny that should meet their maker, but there are others that have a major role to play in the breed. This is the same with every other line of breeding... in the Shorthorn breed, or any other breed. Maybe I have used up all my luck, but I have had not had a single problem from using Salute. I have, in fact, only used 1 cane of Salute semen, and I have had 6 live calves and 18 embryos from this cane of semen. All 6 calves were born unassisted, with the heaviest BW being Timeline at 105 lbs. I have generated $34,800 in revenue from using this cane of semen and have two daughters in the herd, and 5 embryos in inventory yet. The two Salute daughters now have their second calves and both had calves this spring sired by Wolf Willow Major Leroy.... a bull calf at 90 LB and a heifer at 86 lbs... again both unassisted births. They are excellent calves and the Salute cows are making excellent mothers with super udders and milk. The bulls I have sold sired by Salute have had NO problems in regards to calving issues in their new owners herds. I have been told that I should get rid of this bloodline as it is going to do nothing but cause me trouble. It appears to me, that I haven't had much trouble yet from using a cane of Salute semen. Why would I dump these cattle when they happen to be working for me, and also appear to be helping me make better cattle? Maybe some day I will eat these works, but around this place.. if it ain't broke.... I am not going to bother to try to fix it. All I am saying is I think we should judge each animal by it's own merits and not on it's heritage alone. It is much like people assuming you are an idiot, simply because you have a brother or sister that is a dork.

linnettejane

your right grant, people shouldnt be making bull selections based only on epd's...that's about like making bull selections based on word of mouth calving ease...both of which i have been guilty of in the past, for pretty much lack of not knowing any better...

here's the point i am at with using shorthorn bulls on heifers... this is what i HAVE to do, because i realize i have some birthweight behind my cows, they ARE half the equation, right? (even though my whole herd should be somewhat calving ease with gizmo behind all of them, excluding the three heifers i have purchased)!  im going to start with epd's, then im going to go back and look at the progeny myself and note dam's breeding, and progeny bw's... so, the point im at for breeding my shorthorn heifers---PROVEN (by my standards stated above) calving ease  (which relies mainly on bw’s at the this point, since i don’t have access to “shape” data)…………………………..angus!  

linnettejane

so this is what im thinking of using on my heifers...with 20,000 calves on the ground, an acc for bw of .93....i think it will be a pretty safe bet....i realize the milk epd's are not good...but i think i can sacrifice a little in that department since my cows are at the other end of that spectrum (on the verge of having too much milk)...

this info was copied from OCC website 2010 sire directory...i went to the american angus assoc. website and verified...

OCC Legend 616L
Calved 01-30-01 +14036365

Sire: OCC Emblazon 854E • Dam: OCC Blackbird 632J
MGS: OCC Gladiator 612G

• The OCC Legend daughters are known for their excellent performance plus being consistently stout, attractive and stylish. Legend’s actual birth weight was 64 lbs. (ratio 88) and had an impressive weaning and yearling ratio of 107.• Legend has become a proven standby for calving ease and flawless phenotype. He has sired more than 20,000 calves.  Semen: $30/straw • Certificate: $50

Maternal EPDs $Values
CEM Milk $EN $W $YG
-3 +3 +33.91 +35.37 +7.23

Production EPDs
CED BW WW YW
+14 -.7 +41 +61

DL

Caving ease almost as sticky a wicket as animal welfare and genetic defects

To me calving ease is calf born unassisted, gets up nurses and both calf and female are AOK. It is a combination of birth weight, calf shape, maternal pelvic size, maternal genetics and of course the bull. For my heifers I am now using only high accuracy CE and BW EPD Red Angus bulls - why? because pulling calves and dealing with big dumb calves and getting up every 2 hours gets real old real fact.

This year one of my cows had a 130 plus 5 day early Shorthorn sired bull calf - when I found them he was up dry bouncing and nursing - she is a huge cow and he is a great flashy big boned steer  - but had he been a big dumb boy I would have been in trouble - I have a heck of a time moving calves that outweigh me - same bull gave me a fabulous 105 lb heifer out of a huger cow...will I use this bull again? maybe, selectively (have more to go, so we will see) but since I started using RA bulls on heifers my life (and the heifers) has been much easier  :eek: and that is a good thing

linnettejane

dl...i need to look into the red angus more, i had just went with angus because i had a little background with them(emphasis on little)....seems like more people are going that way with their heifers, but i know nothing about them...for calving ease, where would be a good place to start?

justintime

One pf the reasons we purchased Hillside Leader was because his calves have all been unassisted from heifers so far, with BWs in the low to mid 70s. Joe reports that his calves are very vigorous at birth and are growing like bad weeds. There are calving ease choices in the Shorthorn breed. Unfortunately, some are being promoted that are not true calving ease. I guess you just have to study your lessons and sort out the good from the bad.

TPX

I have found these discussions very interesting. I remember when we were in the shorthorns we also had our purebred red angus cattle.  When we would get our epd's for the shorthorns we  couldn't make any sense of them but we always submitted our weights bc we always preached that all the breeders should do that but it was very discouraging when the numbers would come back and they made no sense.  I always look forward to getting my epd's on our red angus calves to see what they look like and usually it makes sense, we got one cow that you can breed to the lightest bw bull out there and she will always give you at least a 90lbs calf, she has never had a calving issue but she will and should have a high bw epd and so do her calves.  On the other hand we have a cow that you can breed to whatever you want and she will always give you below 80lbs and has a very short gestation and she has a low bw epd and so do her calves and to me this makes sense.  When ever we got our shorthorn epd's back one calf would be plus1  and the next one would be -1 and so on.  

JoeBnTN

Grant,

I have to agree with you on how we’ve created part of our problem with the way we’ve designed our cattle.  As the Shorthorn breed has become noted for its show ring style and phenotype (at least in this country), some of those eye appealing traits may actually be counterproductive to practicality, longevity and productivity.  Your observations on elevated pin bone placement remind me of something I heard many years ago.  While taking my judging teams on a tour of leading cattle breeders, we stopped at one of the first herds in the US to import Salers.  While visiting with Doug, he told us that a few weeks earlier he had hosted a group of breeders from France to see how the cattle had evolved.  They were appalled at the structure – US selection pressures had raised the hip bone and leveled the hip.  According to the French the Saler had been developed to be a breed that could handle a larger calf with no problems, but by changing the way they were designed the US cattle were headed for problems.  That was 25 years ago, look where the Saler are today.  So I think your observation about phenotype affecting production is right on.  But I also think that’s why you may be better suited to use a bull that has a little extra birth weight – your cows are designed differently – they are wider structured, deeper and stouter than many of the cattle in this country.  Accordingly they can handle a slightly different calf at birth.

You may be right on birth weight, although I’ve been told that the ASA data shows a steady increase in weight for over 20 years.  What I think has happened is that we’ve eliminated the extremes and actually made the range much narrower.  When you consider that a handful of genetics produce nearly 80-85% of the AI sired calves in the breed, it’s easy to see why that could happen. 

What has been interesting in the debate has been how much attention has been placed on the accuracy of the birth weight EPD’s and little has been said about the growth numbers.  I know a very popular calving ease bull in the breed that consistently produces calves in the 70’s that come easily, but that absolutely won’t grow – with many weaning weights in the low 400’s.  While the birth weights are readily reported, a significant number of weaning numbers are never produced – if they were I’m wondering if this “great” bull wouldn’t have negative growth numbers.  We seem to get wrapped up in single trait selection – primarily as a means of addressing a significant problem, without thinking about the impact on other traits.  That’s the primary reason I’m so high on Leader – he’s bred to keep birth weights down while still providing more than adequate growth.  But to do that, we have to accept what he’s not – he’s not a massive muscle bull or the widest stoutest structured bull available.  In other words, his phenotype matches what he was bred to do.  You and I will be watching carefully over the next couple of years to see if he lives up to our expectations.  If he does, I’m sure people will look to him to help address problems without creating unnecessary negative consequences.

I really liked your report of what’s going on in other breeds – there are beginning to be some interesting reports from some of the “major” breeds related to their use of EPD’s.  While I obviously wasn’t at the sale the referenced, it mirrors what I’ve seen with some of the cattle here in the States. Last year I was asked to go thorough a group of cows that were going to sell at a major production sale and suggest a few for a new breeder.  The Lot 1 cow was, in the top 1-2% of the breed for all major traits – low BW, high weaning and yearling weights, milk, etc. and was the presented feature of the sale.  She was also one of the frailest made, most crooked legged, lowest volume females in the entire offering.  When she sold for a near six figure price I had to wonder if someone had lost their mind.  Here the EPD’s were driving everything and no one seems to mind that here phenotype was not conducive to an open range or pastoral system. It will be interesting to see how the bull offspring she produces will be accepted by commercial cattlemen who have to make a living with cows that have longevity and productivity in a grass environment.

Any way, as we all seem to agree – there is no agreement.  In a decade or so, when we look back at the genetics and phenotype of the cattle we are producing today, will they still be prevalent or will find ourselves forced to redesign the bovine to meet the production environment? 

sue

Let's not confuse calving ease with birth weight> I feel alot of Shorthorn breeders really dont understand the difference between the two:

Hillside Leader is siring calves that come unassisted then his CE will rise to a posititve number provided information is turned in to ASA. In other words selection for just a( -)BEPD  does not always give a breeder enough information THAT'S WHY WE SHOULD PRINT CALVING EASE EPD'S IN SALE CATALOGS.

THE FOLKS IN THE NORTH should be happy to know that even if a sire is consistantly  throwing 100-110 lb birth weight calves and they all come unassisted well then this bull would still have the more desirable CALVING EASE EPD (+).  If you look at a bull like SASKVALLEY BONANZA OR MANY OF THE SASKVALLEY BULLS UP THERE. Thank you Saskvalley for printing CE in the catalog. Suppose I am a breeder in alabama and I am looking at a bull in Canada- epds help sort the differences.

Are you still confused Joe or Grant ?
Let me review again: If you have a +3.0 CE bull and a -11.0 CE  bull the + is better then the - regardless of the weight of the calves - CE is a measure of calving unassisted.  BEPD is a measure of calf weight at birth . It's a tool and since ASA added it alot refuse to print because they just dont get it?  Be sure and record the ww weights of Hillside Leader and Yearling wts too alot of his calves are not recorded.

ML

Calving ease is only calculated by the calving ease number score turned in on first calf heifers.  There needs to be more data turned in on Shorthorns for it to be accurate.  Definitely a tool to use with Angus or Red Angus with high accuracies.

coyote

Sue I think where Grant is coming from is he does not truly believe the numbers, and I would have to agree with him.
Take Saskvalley Bonanza 219M, his CE is +7.8 and Muridale Buster 2nd 76P CE is +3.5 , these are two of our herdsires . When bred to heifers we have had to help the odd one by Bonanza but on the other hand very seldom we have had to help Buster 2nd calves.
I would not consider Bonanza a true calving ease sire but I will describe Buster 2nd as a true calving ease sire as we have calved out over a 150 heifers bred to him.
Maybe the # will change as more data gets entered.

sue

coyote said:
Sue I think where Grant is coming from is he does not truly believe the numbers, and I would have to agree with him.
Take Saskvalley Bonanza 219M, his CE is +7.8 and Muridale Buster 2nd 76P CE is +3.5 , these are two of our herdsires . When bred to heifers we have had to help the odd one by Bonanza but on the other hand very seldom we have had to help Buster 2nd calves.
I would not consider Bonanza a true calving ease sire but I will describe Buster 2nd as a true calving ease sire as we have calved out over a 150 heifers bred to him.
Maybe the # will change as more data gets entered.

You should try the bulls on Ton cows that are wider, thicker and capable of handling a bigger calf.  ;)

justintime

Sue... how do you explain the CE numbers for my herd sires then? There is no way that Star P Matrix 4N and HC Mist's Return 13R  can both have CE EPDs of 0.2.... and both be right. Please fill me in as I must be missing something here. As for the CE, BW and Milk EPDs on all my sires, I am left wondering if any of them are correct.I would have included the CE EPDs on my herd bulls in the sale catalog if I had even some confirmation that they are correct, or close to correct. I guess I lean towards, not printing information that I know is wrong, and that may mislead anyone. Sue, do you think I should have printed the CE EPDs for these two bulls in particular in the sale catalog? What good would that do, as it would be totally misleading? Please explain to me, why you still seem to insist that I should have printed it in the sale catalog? This info. is totally useless, as it is totally wrong.

I also understand the difference between calving ease and BW. I have been harping for years that we really need to be identifying the true calving ease bulls in any breed, rather than just talking about birth weights. My main concern in all I have written here is how can I justify the numbers my herd bulls have been given?  As I mentioned before, there is a mile of differences between the calving ease of the two bulls i mentioned here.... not that either are considered hard calving sires, it is just that  Mist's Return is much safer to use on heifers. The point I am trying to make is that the numbers on my herd bulls do not tell the true story, and it is my concern that people reading these numbers could make breeding decisions based on these numbers that I feel are not correct. As I said earlier, I really want to believe the EPDs are accurate.... or right now, I would settle for being close to accurate. The two herd sires I am referring to here, have both had  at least 3 sets of calves and their fourth set is arriving now. They are not sires that have never had any data submitted before. They are as different as night and day in regards to overall calving ease, yet their CE EPDs are exactly the same. Please explain this to me.

Joe, you may be very correct in saying that the average BWs in the Shorthorn  breed have increased in the last 20 years. I assisted my second calf born last night out of 65 births. This was a cow with a slight malpresentation which needed to be corrected. One front foot was out several inches more than the other foot, and it seemed to be jammed in the birth canel.Once I pulled them out evenly, the calf came quiite easily. I don't think I have ever had a set of calves with lower BWs and a set of calves as good as so far this year.

justintime

In regards to BWs in northern climates being higher in souther climates, that is definitely true. When I was in college, we did a study were Simmental cows were flushed and 1/2 the embryos were implanted in Saskatchewan and the other 1/2 were implanted in Texas. Equal numbers for each flush were implanted in each location, and the resulting calves were compared by sex, not just by the average BW in each location. In year 1 the calves in Sakatchewan were 15 lbs heavier and in the second year, they were 19 lbs heavier. There are lots of other research that shows similar results.

The reason for this is climate related. The colder it is, the more a cow will eat, which results in more nutrition circulating through her blood stream. The colder it is, the cow will also circulate the blood more frequently all body parts to retain their temperatures. This blood also circulates through the fetus, so it has access to much more nutrition than a fetus in a cow in a warmer climate.
I was talking with a leading American Angus breeder a few days ago, and he said that he figures that BWs increase approximately 5 -7 lbs for every 500 miles north you go. I do not know if this is accurate, but it does sound close to some other studies I have seen.

sue

justintime said:
Sue... how do you explain the CE numbers for my herd sires then? There is no way that Star P Matrix 4N and HC Mist's Return 13R  can both have CE EPDs of 0.2.... and both be right. Please fill me in as I must be missing something here. As for the CE, BW and Milk EPDs on all my sires, I am left wondering if any of them are correct.I would have included the CE EPDs on my herd bulls in the sale catalog if I had even some confirmation that they are correct, or close to correct. I guess I lean towards, not printing information that I know is wrong, and that may mislead anyone. Sue, do you think I should have printed the CE EPDs for these two bulls in particular in the sale catalog? What good would that do, as it would be totally misleading? Please explain to me, why you still seem to insist that I should have printed it in the sale catalog? This info. is totally useless, as it is totally wrong.

I also understand the difference between calving ease and BW. I have been harping for years that we really need to be identifying the true calving ease bulls in any breed, rather than just talking about birth weights. My main concern in all I have written here is how can I justify the numbers my herd bulls have been given?  As I mentioned before, there is a mile of differences between the calving ease of the two bulls i mentioned here.... not that either are considered hard calving sires, it is just that  Mist's Return is much safer to use on heifers. The point I am trying to make is that the numbers on my herd bulls do not tell the true story, and it is my concern that people reading these numbers could make breeding decisions based on these numbers that I feel are not correct. As I said earlier, I really want to believe the EPDs are accurate.... or right now, I would settle for being close to accurate. The two herd sires I am referring to here, have both had  at least 3 sets of calves and their fourth set is arriving now. They are not sires that have never had any data submitted before. They are as different as night and day in regards to overall calving ease, yet their CE EPDs are exactly the same. Please explain this to me.

Joe, you may be very correct in saying that the average BWs in the Shorthorn  breed have increased in the last 20 years. I assisted my second calf born last night out of 65 births. This was a cow with a slight malpresentation which needed to be corrected. One front foot was out several inches more than the other foot, and it seemed to be jammed in the birth canel.Once I pulled them out evenly, the calf came quiite easily. I don't think I have ever had a set of calves with lower BWs and a set of calves as good as so far this year.

You need to report everything and not just a a group of BW weights from one calf crop. The daughters of Matrix and Mist's Return in production and there calves  and please dont forget WW and YW, scortal measurements and HH.They even ask for body score and cow weights. But when you report do it with the entire calf crop with all of  sires that you used. When you report birth weights there is a place to indicate Unassited and so on. For instance your malpresentation might fall under 3? 100 lb calves that come unassisted needs to  be reported as that.

I realize Angus and Red Angus are stricter about members reporting- the short time I was a member you even reported breeding season information AI and pasture dates too . I think as Shorthorn breeders we have a tendency to register a calf as we sell it - and the dosent help any of us?

If you look alot of the Shorthorn bulls sales add age of dam too.

You cannot toss the whole thing out but please dont- Rob Sneed, Lauer, Lovings, Meadow Lane, Leveldale, Byland, Waukauru ( the list goes on) didnt

It just drives me nutts when a portion of Epds are listed and then I have to do all of the work. switching from screen to screen.
I know of one referral that I made to  your sale is headed to Lovings to make a purchase because eveything they needed to make a decision is posted on the web page.

justintime

Sue, I am thinking that part or possibly all of the errors may have been caused by the mess we had last year. Uluru and I were talking last night, and there appears to be some holes in the data.I guess all we can do is pick up where we are at now and continue on... and hopefully in time, the numbers will get more accurate. As for right now, I just can't understand my CE EPDs. I think the WW and YW EPDS may be reasonable to accept. I still have some issues with the CE and Milk, but as I said, there was a huge problem a year ago, with the Canadian EPDs that were generated, so it may take a while to get it fixed.

I was just trying to explain why I did not put more data in our sale catalog regarding our reference sires. It was only because I did not think it was accurate, and I could not understand it myself ( and still don't). There has been a big improvement in the last year, so maybe I can hope that by next year, I can print all the EPD data and be confident that it is correct.
By the way, we did short videos on all the bulls yesterday, and we will have them posted as soon as we can get their lot number included on the video.

JoeBnTN

sue said:
Let's not confuse calving ease with birth weight> I feel alot of Shorthorn breeders really dont understand the difference between the two:

Hillside Leader is siring calves that come unassisted then his CE will rise to a posititve number provided information is turned in to ASA. In other words selection for just a( -)BEPD  does not always give a breeder enough information THAT'S WHY WE SHOULD PRINT CALVING EASE EPD'S IN SALE CATALOGS.

THE FOLKS IN THE NORTH should be happy to know that even if a sire is consistantly  throwing 100-110 lb birth weight calves and they all come unassisted well then this bull would still have the more desirable CALVING EASE EPD (+).  If you look at a bull like SASKVALLEY BONANZA OR MANY OF THE SASKVALLEY BULLS UP THERE. Thank you Saskvalley for printing CE in the catalog. Suppose I am a breeder in alabama and I am looking at a bull in Canada- epds help sort the differences.

Are you still confused Joe or Grant ?
Let me review again: If you have a +3.0 CE bull and a -11.0 CE  bull the + is better then the - regardless of the weight of the calves - CE is a measure of calving unassisted.  BEPD is a measure of calf weight at birth . It's a tool and since ASA added it alot refuse to print because they just dont get it?  Be sure and record the ww weights of Hillside Leader and Yearling wts too alot of his calves are not recorded.

Sue,

I don’t think I’ve ever been confused on the difference between birth weight and calving ease – in fact I’ve read a fair amount of the research related to the subject – including US, Australian and European research.   All of these conclude much of the same thing (and we all know this) –there is a high negative correlation between birth weight and calving ease, i.e. as birth weights increase, calving ease decreases.  

As work at Iowa State noted however, the problem with the data set is that most of the early work (using the Angus Association’s records) is from information representing predominately first calf females and their calving ease.  Because few people in that breed used anything but low birth weight bulls for heifers – the data has a built in bias toward these same bulls.  Because of this there was very little reliable data on the “calving ease” impact of heavier birth weight bulls.  Also there was very little data on birth weight and calving ease impacts on mature females, so many bulls that were never used on heifers have little to no actual data in their EPD's.  As such the Iowa State research recommended using birth weight EPD’s as the most reliable indicator of calving ease for first calf females.   I don’t know how the Shorthorn data set was developed, so I can’t comment on the exact effect on our breed, but I would assume the trends would be similar.

What has been noted in some more recent work is the cumulative effective of this selection pressure.  We all know that birth weight is highly correlated with weaning and yearling weights, so as selection pressure is placed on lowering birth weight (or increased calving ease) we tend to see a decrease in the size of the next generation.  As these animals enter production it requires an even greater emphasis on selecting for easier calving, since they are generally smaller than the preceding generation.  If this continues the end result is either a significant loss of total performance in the gene pool or selection for phenotypic traits, like smaller bone, less muscle, etc. that could enhance the calving process.

The most obvious answer and the one that much of the research substantiates is that selection pressures should look for optimums among birth weight, growth, mature size, etc. so that succeeding generations of cattle will meet the total needs of the industry.  From a purely economic perspective, this gets to the issue most commercial producers face – how do I optimize the total dollar returned per cow owned.  Using this model, we have to balance the desire for 100% live calf crop with the need for maximum pounds at market/harvest.  As some of our American breeds are finding out – producers are more than willing to risk losing a calf or two a year in order to increase weaning weight 50 pounds.  Why – in a 50 cow herd with $1 per pound 500 lb. weaned calves, that equates to an increase in profit of $1400 (48 calves at an increase value of $50 per head minus the 2 lost @$500 each).

I fully agree with you that, in order to make progress, we need our breeders to submit data on all their calves – otherwise the relevance of our data base is minimized.  One of our biggest problems is that, for many of our cattle, the numbers of observations are so low that it makes it difficult to get a level of accuracy that you can be comfortable with.  And, as I think we found with the Canadian cattle (Grant or Bob correct me if I’m wrong), getting a baseline established for their EPD’s, when there was no previous data, was difficult and may explain the high degree of variability that is being found.

In addition, in looking at the work of Bonsma and others, the observations that Grant made about the role of skeletal design in the female, have great relevance.   As we have redesigned the American bovine to meet the “eye appeal” test we have negatively impacted the natural birth path way.  By elevating the hip bones we have increased the “push” required to get a calf down the birth canal.  That’s why it seems a Bos Taurus bred female seems to be able to give birth to a baby elephant with no trouble – their pelvic and hip area is designed to accommodate the birth of the calf.  

RFL

This is a good topic that provokes alot of thought. First what I am wondering is, is calving ease EPD not
a factor of both the calving ease score reported and birth weight reported since birth weight is a major (not only)
factor in calving ease?

Aso, in the angus and Red Angus breeds, is better and more understandable EPD info a result of the volume of info supplied?
With a certain amount of inaccurate information being presented, does the shear volume of the angus data help minimize discrepancies
as compared to other breeds such as shorthorns? I think someone mentioned using a Angus sire that 20,000 offspring recorded. I don't think
there is a shorthorn sire that even comes close. Unless I looked wrong , I counted 2692 offspring recorded on Trump, and probably not all of those
had complete info reported, and thats Trump. Most of the other Shorthorn bulls would have had considerably less info reported.

Also heres another interesting question.  Birth EPD is a Pedigree estimate until birthweight data is submitted from offspring and once
offspring data is submitted Birth EPD and accuracy will change. As Grant has indicated there are studies to prove birth wieghts are directly
effected by environment (15-19# between Saskatchewan and Texas). If Joe has used Hillside Leader in Tenn. with BW's in the mid 70's is it
unreasonable to say Grant should have calves in the 90's just because of the differences in environment and if he does and reports those birthweights
will Hillside Leader's Birth EPD's go up and calving ease EPD's go down?

If that's the case, do we look North for Calving Ease bulls knowing that if birthweights of calves born in the northern US and Canada are moderate,
they will only get better  if used further South?