Cannonball Classic, IN

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsc

We just wanted to inform everyone that the Cannonball Classic Cattle Show in Wabash, IN will NOT be taking place this year.  The committee is disappointed, however, the local Fair Board significantly increased the rental price of the fairgrounds and is unwilling to work with the committee to raise money for the local 4-H program through this effort.  As a committee we hope to re-group and possibly sponsor the show again.  We would like to thank all of the exhibitors who attended the shows in the past years.  Feel free to spread the word.

Thanks,
Cannonball Committee

CMB

Sorry to hear this show is not on anymore. I have a good friend that shows in that county and at that show that will be disappointed. If the county is like ours they are cutting budgets and the fair is getting a budget cut. Possibly why they're looking for more $$$? Our county fair board is also cutting any extra program to cut cost.

wsc

thanks for the comments hopefully, next year we can find a new location or work with our fair board a little bit more.

wfa

I have been intouch with the fair board about this when I read this post. I was informed that your statement is not 100% correct and they offered the rental of the grounds to you for 1k per open show, due to the Cannonball classic was not happy with what the fair board was spending the profits from the shows on , which I was told was expenses to run the fair for the following year to benefit all 4Her's . The way I look at it you may want to post the whole story the next time. If the cannonball classic wants to keep all the profits then you pay for the right to use the grounds. Nothing is a free ride in this world !

bystander

The problem with your information from the Fair Board is that they no longer need the funds to run the fair for the 4-her's.  Last year they turned this over to the 4-H council.  The council is now responsible for paying to run the fair.  The fair board is only responsible for upkeep of the grounds.  The Cannonball committee wanted to give the profits to the council for the use of paying for the fair.

Tony

The fairboard was told if they don't give the money to the 4-H council the ones running the show did not want to run it..........THAT DOES NOT MEAN THERE WILL NOT BE A SHOW...FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE FAIRBOARD COULD STILL PUT TOGETHER A COMMITTEE TO HOST NOT ONLY A CALF SHOW BUT ALSO A PIG AND LAMB SHOW.  The fairboard just doesn't understand where the upkeep and renovating of facilities isn't helping the 4-H program is Wabash County. With out this income you can not provide (what we consider nice grounds) this nice of a facility for the 4-H members to show in and enjoy. Feel free to email me for any other information on this subject, I will get answers to your questions. [email protected]

bystander

I am not saying that we don't have a nice fairgrounds and we appreciate all the work the fair board does.  But where is the council supposed to get the money to run the fair if the fair board gets to keep all the money that is generated from shows on its grounds.  I understand that you need to charge them rental, but be fair and charge it to everyone who uses it.  I have heard (may just be rumor) that the horse and pony clubs don't re-imburse the fair board for anything when they use the grounds for horse shows.  The board has also had at least two cage fight matches on the grounds in the past couple months -- that didn't generate any funds for upkeep?  If not whose fault is that.  It is hard to believe that the fair board has no money for upkeep when they take money from the kids who sell animals at the auction for the building fund.  This has been going on for years and there are two new buildings on the grounds -- where is all this money?  I would like to see these two committees come together and work things out for the good of the kids.  The Cannonball Classic is a good thing for Wabash County and they were even able to offer two scholarships for 10 year 4-H members.  I hate to see this whole program go down the drain over a power struggle.

tent

I would like to clear up a few things with these ridiculous posts about the Cannonball Classic.  The Cannonball Classic show will NOT be taking place this year on behalf of myself and the dedicated team of volunteers that I had established. Again we are not putting on a show in Wabash.  If the WFA (Wabash Fair Association) chooses to put on a show they will be getting a new set of committee members and will be starting over from scratch.  We feel like the shows were some of the best in the midwest and that was our goal when we started these shows.
I would like to thank everyone that has came to the Cannonball Classic in the past, we have enjoyed the friends that we have made.  We have heard nothing but positive comments on the shows, as u can tell the people of the livestock industry were very disappointed to hear about the shows.  Life is to short to struggle over small issues such as money and so on.  I feel that we have all lost focus on what we were putting on these shows for:  "Our Kids, the 4-Hers and the Future of our youth".
Wabash county fairgrounds is one of the best in the state of Indiana and thank you to the Wabash county fairbaord and the past and present 4-hers for making them the way they are. 
I would like to thank the sponsors for sponsoring the Cannonball Classic in the past years, without you these shows would not have been possible. Thank you to my small committee of volunteers for the numerous hours spent on organizing these shows.  A show isn't put together in a month.  I hope someday there will be people that realize how much time and effort went into putting on these shows.
Please stop the posts about this show, there are people on this subject that never visit this site only to down grade and this uncalled for.  You stand behind a sign in name and wont get both sides of the story. If you have any questions about the open shows please feel free to send me a email and I will be happy to discuss the "real reason" for not running the shows this year.
Thank you for your support of the Cannonball Classic
Kim Tennant
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.