Catching a steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohio1

I bought a steer and at the place where he came from he was like a dog and you could do anything to him but I have had him home for 3 days now and can barely touch him let alone put a halter on. Do you have Amy suggestions on how to calm him down/ catch him

auctioneerajb

I think maybe you just need to take your time with him. Think about it-if you were moved to a whole different city in a new house where you knew absolutly no one, how long would it be before you felt comfortable? You've only had him 3 days. To him you're a stranger. let him get to know you and get comfortable in his new surroundings and I'd be willing to bet he'll come around.
Good luck!

P.S. I assume he's in a pen w/other cattle. If not can you get him a "buddy" or two. That will help alot.

Cyfarmer

I agree with getting a buddy calf or two. Also, not sure how big of an area he is running, but possibly try to decrease the size to allow for closer contact. Spend time out there just being in sight of him. I found that just standing there watching them eat can sometimes start to calm a calf pretty quick.
Cyfarmer

Ohio1

Thanks! And he does have a buddy calf in with him

oldwood

we take a show stick with the halter on the end and slip it on the calf that way if they are a little ansy.

OH Breeder

The best tool when first get a calf is a 5 gallon bucket. Sit on it. Just get in the pen and sit down and let him come to you. Cattle are very curious animals. If you go after them the fight and flight kicks in- the think you are going to eat them. BUT if you let them come to you they will find out that you are not going to eat them or you are not a big scary monster. Another thing is scratching and brushing with rice root. If you get the calf to start coming to you, scratching and brushing usually they like. if they let you start scratching and brushing. It won't be long believe me that they see you and associate" he/she " makes me feel good and isn't gonna eat me. Time is all you need. Don't rush it and it will pay off in the end.

LindseysMaine_Angus

LD said:
I bought a steer and at the place where he came from he was like a dog and you could do anything to him but I have had him home for 3 days now and can barely touch him let alone put a halter on. Do you have Amy suggestions on how to calm him down/ catch him

Put him in a trailer shut the door have someone stand there so if it gets to out of hand they can open it. get him in a corner put a rope halter on him and leave it on him. JMO but before any steer comes off the trailer they have a halter on if they are coming from farm to farm

J2F

OH Breeder said:
The best tool when first get a calf is a 5 gallon bucket. Sit on it. Just get in the pen and sit down and let him come to you. Cattle are very curious animals. If you go after them the fight and flight kicks in- the think you are going to eat them. BUT if you let them come to you they will find out that you are not going to eat them or you are not a big scary monster. Another thing is scratching and brushing with rice root. If you get the calf to start coming to you, scratching and brushing usually they like. if they let you start scratching and brushing. It won't be long believe me that they see you and associate" he/she " makes me feel good and isn't gonna eat me. Time is all you need. Don't rush it and it will pay off in the end.

(clapping) great advise.

paj315

Put him in a smaller pen and go in with a show stick and just start scratching his belly and back. When he gets comfortable with that start going in with a comb or brush and start using that on him. Also put a pan of feed in the pen that will help calm him down while you are doing this he can eat and get used to being handled . When he gets used to that we start holding the feed pan or putting the feed in a bucket and make them come to you to eat. We do this and not only does it help calm them down but they associate a bucket  with food and then if they ever get out they are easy to catch, just take a bucket of feed out and shake and they come running

everybreedcounts

put him in a smaller pen, big enough so that you can stand in the middle and always be touching him with a show stick. just scratch him for a couple days, and soon he will figure out that he really likes to be scratched, then you can start scratching him with your hands. soon he will be so tame you can put a halter right on him.
or another way is to put grain down and let him eat. he will probably run at first, so stand far away at first, and everytime you do it move closer and closer to him, until you can scratch him with a showstick while hes eating. then put the halter in the feed pan and let him get used to eating with it in there. then try touching his head while hes eating and you are scratching him. soon you will be able to slip the halter on him while hes eating. when you get the halter on him, dont immediately take the grain away. let him finish eating it. that way he will relate getting a halter on with eating grain.
another way similar to the last is to just get him used to you standing on the opposite side of the fence while he eats. usually they arent as scared when there is a fence seperating you and them. you can put the halter in the grain pan or feeder just like in the last way, and slip it on then. also let them finish eating so they relate food and halter with each other. this way is virtually the same as the last, but usually doesnt take as long to be able to halter them, because of the fence in between.
the last way which i would not reccomend but is an option all the same is to rope the calf. make sure your in a pen small enough that the calf wont get away. the first couple times you do it the calf will try to get away, but just let him run in circles, sort of like lunging a horse. he will soon realize that he cant get away, and you can slowly recoil the rope and put a halter on him. this is definately the fastest way, but not the best. if you want the calf to like you, then do one of the other ways. this is just a quick fix for  animals you dont really care about or arent showing but you want to be able to catch. we have a herd of show cattle and i halter break all our calves, heifers, bulls, and steers, even if we arent planning to show them. it makes handling them in the future alot easier just because they arent as scared since they are halter broke. the point is i use the roping technique on these guys because its quick and easy and they seem to always remember when they get roped around the neck, they know they are caught, and they just stand there until i get a halter on them. they dont always let you put a halter on them by scratching after being out in a pasture for 6 months. but again, i really wouldnt reccomend doing this to show cattle because you want to have a good relationship with them. one of the other ways is best. but its up to you.
also, just remember the more you work the animal, the tamer it gets (in most cases), so just do alot of rinsing, brushing, blowing, showmanship, and your animal will be easy to catch because they are so used to you touching them. hope this all helps!