Charolais and Shorthorn

Help Support Steer Planet:

gilbert07

Just was wondering if anyone has ever bred a shorthorn bull to a charolais cow...my dad and i thought about it tonite and was just wonder what bull would work well and if breeding these together would work well? just an idea  :D

justintime

This is an outstanding cross!  We had over 100 purebred Charolais breeding females until 5 years ago, as well as our purebred Shorthorn and commercial herds. For many years we used a Shorthorn  bull on all our Charolias and Shorthorn yearling heifers, so that we could pasture them together and also use a bull that we thought would calve easily. The tan calves we got from this cross were excellent. For years we kept all the Shorthorn X Charolais heifers and sold them as bred heifers. After selling the first set of these females, we had guys on a waiting list wanting them. For years we sold all of them in the fall out of the yard at premium prices. We often talked about turning the Shorthorn herd sires out with all the Char cows and turning the Charolais bull out with the Shorthorn cows. We occasionally took some cows from each purebred herd and crossed them, and the results always were good. The Tan steers always topped our markets, and as I said, the females were super easy to sell.... and at top dollars. I still have about 10 tan females in our commercial herd and they are great cows... moderate framed, great milking, fertile and easy fleshing.I use some of them for recips each year and they are excellent mother cows. I have often thought that if I had to start a commercial herd again, that I would use Shorthorn X Charolais cows as the base.

gilbert07

we have a cow thats really clean, could lower her flank a little more and needs more thickness, just wondering what bull would work good on her then

shortdawg

I have one of those tan or buckskin heifers that I bred to Jake's Proud Jazz; she's due in Sept. with a heifer !!! I saw a lot more of this cross at another farm and I was impressed to say the least. Can you picture a yellow roan ?

Shorthorn_Junkie

shortdawg said:
I have one of those tan or buckskin heifers that I bred to Jake's Proud Jazz; she's due in Sept. with a heifer !!! I saw a lot more of this cross at another farm and I was impressed to say the least. Can you picture a yellow roan ?

Hi Shortdawg,

Yes, I can picture a yellow roan.  Matter as fact I know of people who have had yellow roans from crossing a Charolais and Shorthorn before. 

Back when I lived in North Carolina, there was a gentleman who lived in East Bend who had a fairly large Shorthorn Operation.  His name was Bruce Wallace, and the name of his operation was "Flint Hill Farm".    I remember Mr. Wallace had bred a few of his Charolais Cows to a Shorthorn bull named, "Jose Quervo" who was a son of Deerpark Improver 57 that was out of a full Irish cow named,"Deerpark Cocked Horns 12th". 

I remember seeing a few yellow roans when I visited his place back in the 80's.  I remember he called his Shorthorn X Charolais crossed animals, "Shorlais".  Sadly Mr. Wallace passed away back sometime in the late 90's. 

If you know of anyone who has a copy of the May/June issue of Shorthorn Country from back in 1988, you can find a black and white add of his on page 3 that has his "Shorlais" (Shorthorn X Charolais) calves on it along with the Jose Quervo bull. 

I have a copy, and would scan it in, however my scanner is not working right now, and I'm having to go to a friend's house anytime I want to scan pictures.  I'll see about getting it scanned here in the near future, and sending you a copy of it.  :)

gocanes719

This is an Alias out of a Shorthorn cow.  I sold him for good money but he got way too large and got narrower the older he got. 

Attachments

• Alias (2).jpg
    Alias (2).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,662

chambero

Here is a steer we raised and my son is going to show this year.  He's out of a Shorthorn cross bull called Lights Out (Double Vision son) and a Charolais-X cow (Troy x Maine-Angus).

PA040016.jpg

Taken last fall at a couple of months of age.

032608_Photos_163.jpg

Taken last week.  And yes - I think he was sticking his tongue out at me on purpose.

C-CROSS

We bred some shorthorn cows to Chunky Monkey and got some cool orange ones and do they have hair!!!

shorthorns r us

C-CROSS said:
We bred some shorthorn cows to Chunky Monkey and got some cool orange ones and do they have hair!!!

how are they under the hair?  i got the catalog from dr. mimms sale yesterday and was wondering how they are turning out.

Shorthorn_Junkie

chambero said:
Here is a steer we raised and my son is going to show this year.  He's out of a Shorthorn cross bull called Lights Out (Double Vision son) and a Charolais-X cow (Troy x Maine-Angus).

PA040016.jpg

Taken last fall at a couple of months of age.

032608_Photos_163.jpg

Taken last week.  And yes - I think he was sticking his tongue out at me on purpose.

Nice, very nice.  I really like the color. 

You've got me wanting to do a mating like that.    (thumbsup)

justme

Gotta love that tongue!  That will probably be Woody's next trick Red teaches him lol (dog)

chambero

It's not a trick we taught him, he was just still mad after being led.  He's halter broke, but I wouldn't say he "enjoys" it yet.  My 8 year old handles him.

Calf's main problem is he is a little fine boned, which is made obvious because for some reason the hair on his legs just doesn't like to "poof".  He's has great hair (he's starting to shed now).  He's very thick (which may get him sifted on down the road - along with the semi-stockings), but who knows.  If all goes according to plan, we won't need him for a major anyway. 

I bred that particular cow to Salute this year.

red

a guy came from the newspaper to take a picture of my daughter w/ her feeder calf. The calf kept sticking his tongue out. The guy was balistic! Thought it was the best thing he'd ever seen.

Red

C-CROSS

SRU said:
C-CROSS said:

how are they under the hair?   i got the catalog from dr. mimms sale yesterday and was wondering how they are turning out.
We had only heifers last year and we kept them all for replacements.  I think they will do well in the feed yard if they don't make a show calf.  Hair is not in abundance unless bred to a hairy one.

garybob

There are a bunch of 'em, just down the road, in Farmington ( Arkansas). I'll get the ol' digital ready, and, since i'm not computer-literate, maybe Ms. Red could help me post them, if i can figure out how to Email 'em to her.

They are awesome-looking cows. Roy had a Shorthorn herd that was predominately Deerpark Leader-bred. Took a whoopin' every time he sold calves, so he found redemption with the local Sale Barn in good, Yellow, calves.

GB

Shorthorn_Junkie

garybob said:
There are a bunch of 'em, just down the road, in Farmington ( Arkansas). I'll get the ol' digital ready, and, since i'm not computer-literate, maybe Ms. Red could help me post them, if i can figure out how to Email 'em to her.

They are awesome-looking cows. Roy had a Shorthorn herd that was predominately Deerpark Leader-bred. Took a whoopin' every time he sold calves, so he found redemption with the local Sale Barn in good, Yellow, calves.

GB

I say go for it GB!  I'd like to see some more of those Shorlais.

Fire that digital camera up!  (thumbsup)