Cherokee Canyon(bad feet?)

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I have heard a couple times that cherokee canyon offspring have feet problems as they mature. Is this true and what are feet problems(long toes?). I have a cherokke canyon son that is better footed than my lancer 442 son. I don't think lancer offspring are known for super wheels either though.My lancer son throws a few sickle hocked offspring also. I like my lancer son calves better as a whole though. What is the story on cherokee canyon as far as structure is concerned. Thanks in advance. :)

ROAD WARRIOR

He was "put down" this summer because he could barely stand up on his own and couldn't remain standing let alone walk. Structuraly related not injury related. A good friend of mine had 23 of his daughters calve last fall, by this fall he is down to 2 for various reasons that were not good. Just food for thought on this "breed legend".

garybob

ROAD WARRIOR said:
He was "put down" this summer because he could barely stand up on his own and couldn't remain standing let alone walk. Structuraly related not injury related. A good friend of mine had 23 of his daughters calve last fall, by this fall he is down to 2 for various reasons that were not good. Just food for thought on this "breed legend".
Why, then, are all the Shorthorn people using him for their Durham Reds? That's what scares me. I didn't like the Yellowy colored -son-of-a-gun, anyway.
NEO-SHO Millenium will make some Durham Reds that catch everyone's attnetion--even onlookers that hate Shorthorns.

I know this from experience.
GB

aj

I don't know to much about cherokee canyon. He is an abs bull that was almost perfect on dna carcass markers. He is a downsizer I think. The son I bought was out of a robin hood cow so he has good numbers. I think the shorthorn cattle are good footed so the hoof deal dosn't bother me, maybe it should. I don't about udders or anything. I like the old lancer bull. He's not popular but hes good. Some people hate cherokke canyon and apparently some like him. He's sold a lot of semen.

Telos

garybob said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:
Why, then, are all the Shorthorn people using him for their Durham Reds? That's what scares me. I didn't like the Yellowy colored -son-of-a-gun, anyway.
NEO-SHO Millenium will make some Durham Reds that catch everyone's attnetion--even onlookers that hate Shorthorns.

GB
Why, Oh Why, Oh Why, Oh Why???  Because Garybob, it's about selling cattle. What you don't know, you might buy.
My question is ... Why does it seem the good ones have genetic issues?  Full disclosure has never been the strongest suit, in this thing we call the cattle business.    

aj

The millinium looks good 1.9 bw 6.2 frame Mature wt2510  89 yearling epd. king rob grandson. I wonder if he would downsize like I want or not. Was King rob a good bull? I know I went to a mushrush sale onetime and people were talking about him. Wasn't he hot at one time?

shortdawg

I bred one heifer owned my a friend to Cherokee Canyon. I saw the steer today and he can't walk. That's the only one I've seen. His mother was a pretty sound footed Shorthorn.

Doc

garybob said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:

GB
Because of promoting him in the Shorthorn breed. Most people wanting to get started in the Durham Red program don't know where to get started or the + & - of those cattle & genetics. So they just buy whatever semen is easiest to get ahold of & has the best write up in the semen catalog footnotes.

ROAD WARRIOR

aj said:
The millinium looks good 1.9 bw 6.2 frame Mature wt2510  89 yearling epd. king rob grandson. I wonder if he would downsize like I want or not. Was King rob a good bull? I know I went to a mushrush sale onetime and people were talking about him. Wasn't he hot at one time?

Nick named "King Slob" for a reason - quite a bit of performance but really sloppy and 3 piecey. His daughters also had some issues in the fact that if you used him on a cow that already milked enough and retained a daughter from that mating the daughter would most likely milk herself to death and eventually starve the calf down because she couldn't maintain herself and milk that heavily. Many didn't breed back for a second calf and if they did the udder quality left alot to be desired by the time they were 6 years old - blown udders and goat teets were quite common.

Show Heifer

So, all you RA folks....whatcha think of 309R and Mulberry? Heard 309 will add frame with some dimension, and Mulberry will add maternal and muscle?
What cows do they click with or not click with?
Are they worth the money?
Who and what bloodlines are going to rock Denver this year?

CPL

JSchroeder said:
Why, then, are all the SHORTHORN people using him for their Durham Reds?
Because his offspring LOOK great regardless of their faults.

There are alot more problems to the Cherokee Canyon cattle than feet troubles. If most Durham Reds are coming from him x shorthorn, that doesn't set the Durham Reds off in the right direction.

JSchroeder

I guess I should I have been more clear.  I don't think it's setting the breed off in the right direction, I think it indicates they are following in the footsteps of their parent breed.

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Heifer said:
So, all you RA folks....whatcha think of 309R and Mulberry? Heard 309 will add frame with some dimension, and Mulberry will add maternal and muscle?
What cows do they click with or not click with?
Are they worth the money?
Who and what bloodlines are going to rock Denver this year?
S H - I actually like 309R better than the 121R bull that came from the same program, cleaner fronted and the daughters don't look as masculine as the 121R's. I like the Mulberry bull and will have several calves by him this spring.
  Who will dominate Denver? - that is a crap shoot this year. I don't know how much influence the National office will have this time with the recent shake up in house. I would keep a pretty close eye on the Von Forell herd though, Mary always brings some pretty good stock to town. I wonder how many will stay at home because of fuel and other expences. It should be an interesting show.

knabe

here's blaze
http://www.semex.com/di/beef/semex.cgi?lang=en&beef=view&breed=RA&av=&view=47&sid=1197926124BJ

nice big feet

couldn't find him listed at his first two owners catalogs or websites.

ROAD WARRIOR

garybob said:
Anyone willing to accept my recommendation of either Forster Blaze, or NEO-SHO Millenium?

Forester Blaze is a good choice - sound, functioanal, good footed with some mass and spring of rib.

garybob

Doc said:
garybob said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:

GB
Because of promoting him in the Shorthorn breed. Most people wanting to get started in the Durham Red program don't know where to get started or the + & - of those cattle & genetics. So they just buy whatever semen is easiest to get ahold of & has the best write up in the semen catalog footnotes.
Maybe ,also, that the guy who services everyone's Nitrogen tank, who happens to be an ABS Rep, put the shuck on 'em? yes, y'all ,I understand that the van-driver gets a little extra for selling semen.