Chianinas

Help Support Steer Planet:

daydreamingacres

Does it bother anyone but me that
A.) from what i saw of the show 99% of the chianinas at Louisville were black
B.) 3/4 and 7/8 can get beat by a 7% chi because they are too tall?
C.) the Chi registry will allow registration of animals as long as the sire or dam is registered (like 4%)

I don't mid there being Chimaines, Chiangus, Chifords etc... as being recognised as a breed but when will it stop?
I can understand that they want to improve the breed but dilute it that much? Any one else have an opinion? I know that I am biased because I love my high % and we are trying to get back up to fullblood.

red

the running joke on chi's is that if a Chi passes by another animal the animal automatically becomes a % Chi!

What are some of the favorite Chi lines? I love my ForePlays as it is well known. Used him this year again. My one cow is out of Black Power.

Red

P-F

I can understand why the Associations are doing it.  They need numbers and registrations to keep going just like the Maine's, shorthorns and all these other smaller associations.

I agree that is impossible to show your fullblood or high % against the clubbies

It might be worthwile to start a group of fullblood and purebred breeders like the Maine's did with the traditionalist and work on getting the association to sponsor a high % show

daydreamingacres

I like the Bucks Dream line and the line that used to be in I think it was Ohio....  Ambelli in NJ and the Georgai Breeders have beautiful full bloods. We get bull calves shipped up here for the pulling oxen. But those  are fullbloods. I can tell about the joke there is some truth to it! I can tell you that I dont go to big shows but the best judge I have ever had in my 7 years of showing cattle (beef and dairy) and sheep was a judge I had in New Hampshire. We had a show of Simmis, Pinzgauers, Braunveiths (spelt wrong), my Murray grey, My chianinas ( high %), beefalo, and Scottish highlanders.....she went through and placed them as she thought the best met breed standards. she had a nice thing to say about every animal right down to 14th place and she let the crowd and the exhibitors know why she placed them the way she did. She explained that our chis were  a better example of the breed then the next one in line. I really appreciated it. For once i wasn't at the bottom because they weren't short and fat! I didn't win the class and that wasn't why I liked her... i just thought that she gave each breed a chance to stand against then next. ( I do like short and fat cattle I just dont think they should all be chis)

P-F Thankz for the support. I know they need the reg... ( because i know there are very few fullbloods left) thats why i think that the Chimaine and the chiangus is a great idea. I would love to get a high % show. I just dont think it'll ever happen b/c we are few and far between. ( i dont mean to sound rude so please dont take it that way)

red

can you get some pictures of your fullbloods? I haven't seen one except in books.
You weren't rude at all!

Red

justme

Is it just dajavu or are you the customer that contacted me about full-blood chis for jackets?  I had a person the other day ask about embroidery designs and they use them for pulling. 

daydreamingacres

That would be me! My husband and I use them for pullimg oxen and a lot of the guys use them around here beacue they have leg the power and weigh into their classes easier. This is a team that we used to have. Not the greatest but I will get some more. My husband is driving them.

Attachments

• toni.jpg
    toni.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 569
  • toni1.jpg
    toni1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 543

red

that is sooo cool!!!

We had someone posting longhorns that pulled carts & could be riden. I love that your preserving the line!

Red

daydreamingacres

The big ones are a friend of ours. the smaller pair one is the white one that is inthe pic with my husband. It is really big around here. That and horse and pony pulling.

Attachments

• benandjerry.jpg
    benandjerry.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 555
  • coats.jpg
    coats.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 676

P-F

A friend of ours Dan Andreas in ohio had full blood chis
And a bull they showed he was huge and really a beautiful animal.

I think it is important to preserve the fullblood lines and really have respect from those who are dedicated to that.

kanshow

That is so cool!!    We have couple around here who has a team of Jerseys- or is it a yoke?   They do parades with them...

I remember when my dad first decided to crossbreed some Hereford cows - it was in the late 70's and we went to look at some PB Chi bulls.  We'd never seen such tall cattle.. 

JSchroeder

At the Denver Chi sale there was nothing with more than 17% Chianina blood.  The grand champion bull in the sale was the lowest percentage Chi in the entire sale at 4%.

daydreamingacres

i couldnt agree more with you Jill. And yes kanshow it is a team. Up hear Devons, holsteins, shorthorns (dairy kind), swiss, chis, and any of those crossed are common. I dont know if any have you have seen or herd of a pull but it is a process of elimination each team hitches to the load and if they can pull it 6 feet then continue if notthey they get 3 trys then they are out.  there are differnt weight classes. There is also distance, cart classes (which is like an obsticle course), and  a log course. We use ours to move roundbales and do firewood... thats how they earn their keep. We are breeding radioactive to some of our females. We right now have three 1/2 pair. a pair of holsteins ( mine and my 2 yr old daughters she shares) a team of 3/4 chi 1/4 holsteins, one fullblood with a 1/2chi 1/2 holstein, and an odd shorthorn. SCHRODER I looked at the sale book and threw it away. I thought it was a joke. Just out of curiosity how would the angus people feel if their cattle could be reg. crossed and they turned out white? ( They have their stuff together)

DLD

No offense to you daydreamingacres, but the reason there aren't many fullblood Chi's left around anymore is that they just aren't very practical from a beef production standpoint. For the vast majority of producers, they're just too large framed and require too much input (feed) cost compared to the lower percentage cattle. The lower percentage cattle still offer some advantages in terms of growth and muscling and higher yield grades, but in a more practical, effecient package than the high percentage ones. Just my opinion of course, but I believe the future of the breed lies with the multi-generation ChiAngus cattle - they offer some distinct advantages and breed pretty true. I can understand many folks objections to the 3 (and more) way crosses that seem to dominate the show ring, but you have to understand that registering those cattle is helping keep the breed alive, at least. There are still a few breeders around keeping the fullblood's alive, and I commend them for their efforts, but there's simply not enough market to support more than a few of them. I'm sure the ACA staff can help you find these breeders though.

daydreamingacres

DLD- i understand that they arent efficient cattle. I have the feed bill to prove it!!! LOL but anyways I have found that their meat is great adn we have a market for them up here. I would rather have a registry that is out of someones basement then deal with an association that has gotten so far away from their roots that alot of members dont even know what a chianina is! Chiangus may be the futre but not of the Chianina... I wonder what they pople in Italy think of the  our 'chianinas'. DLD i see all the points of shere you are comming from. I just think that chis should be white..... i am sooooo biased it isnt even funny! Chianinas in my eyes are tall and white chiangus are short and black. I just question why a 4% "chi" is a "chi" shouldnt it be a angusXmaineXChi  let me put it this way... shouldnt a breed be registered but what their highest % is?

DLD

Yes daydreamingacres, I can see your point, too. What are commonly referred to as "Chi's" nowadays often don't seem to have much in common with "Chianina's". The same can pretty much be said for most of the other popular continental breeds (Maine-Anjou, Simmental and Limousin), except that the others haven't been diluted down quite as far as the Chi's have. I can understand the frustration fans of the fullbloods of any of these breeds might feel, yet without the lower percentage cattle many of these breed associations would no longer be viable. I've got to believe that even the fullblood Chianinas are better off as a part of a larger, national breed association that can be easily accessed to help potential buyers find them, and that could be in a position to promote them more if demand for them should ever grow.

It would seem to make sense that cattle should be registered as what they carry the highest percentage of, but in many cases it's not even possible (there are no options to register less than purebreds with the Angus or Hereford associations, for example). In the case of Chi blood, it doesn't take very much to see the advantages in phenotype and growth the breed has to offer, and once you get much over 25 or maybe at most 37.5% those advantages tend to shift back to being disadvantages. I do agree though, that it seems like their ought to be some kind of minimum percentage requirement, but anything much over 10 or 12.5%  would prob'ly make a pretty good dent in annual registration numbers.

SWMO

How about short and white?  Is it possible to breed up the Chi's and keep em white?  I know that a Charolais must have pink skin in order to be registered as a purebred.  I believe that the chi's have a black skin under their white hair?  Is that why you can't breed up and keep em white?