Chianinas

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

fullblood requirements pretty much went out the window when gaylord perry went into the hall of fame with a hat with all the teams he played for on it.  they made a rule you could only have one team after that.  fullblood within purebred works for me, though blood testing on fullbloods like canada does would help clarify things a little bit.

daydreamingacres

SWMO said:
How about short and white?  Is it possible to breed up the Chi's and keep em white?  I know that a Charolais must have pink skin in order to be registered as a purebred.  I believe that the chi's have a black skin under their white hair?  Is that why you can't breed up and keep em white?

my experince is once you hit 7/8 they are white. my 3/4 chi 1/4 holstieins are black with brown tips, one is white, and the other is black. They do have a greyish pigment to the skin. 1/2 chi 1/2 charlias are orangeish white. we had a chianugs around here that was orangish too.

chambero

Actually, a lot of the registered Chis truly have quite a bit more thant 2-10% that shows on the papers, but so many are out of unregistered crossbred cows with Chi in them that doesn't show up in the %.  I imagine a lot of these cattle (including ours), are probably closer to 20-25% Chi.  They aren't as diluted as you might think.

What turned more commercial guys off than the feed efficiency was the attitude of those higher % Chis.  My father-in-law got a hold of a bunch of high % Chi heifers in the mid 80s and wound up taking most of them to the sale barn because of attitude (except for the famous one he shot in the pasture because she wouldn't come in and took the rest of the herd with her).  I don't know if all fullbloods had that in them, but plenty of their F1 crosses did.

Herefords are headed toward insignificance because of their refusal to improve their breed.  Angus breeders discretely and quitely added some help - but it doesn't show up on their papers.

SWMO

Chambero,  we still have a set of cows around that go back to some chi/angus cows we bought almost 20 years ago.  They love their calves and you don't cross them.  Meaning tagging in the pasture is out.  We have been unsuccessful in breeding this attitude out of them.  They also seem to infect every other cow that is introduced into their PACK with the same attitude.  Great mommas and raise great calves however the older we get the less fun it is to mess with their attitudes when we have to address a calving issue.  I could write a book  on our calving adventures with those original cows and their descendants. ::)

Telos

The late Dr.Jack Phillips and Gail Long experimented with them in Texas, at Black Champ. Both thought the only way they could work for the American beef market was to breed your best half bloods back to the best half bloods. It was these linebred half blood matings which produced bulls like Total Power, Total Play , Paycheck etc. They thought the Angus base foundation was also the best breed to compliment Chi's.

If you look at the champion steers at the major shows for the last thirty plus years you would be hard pressed to find one without some Chi influence.

With Chi's being tightly bred in a confined region in Italy it really does not take a lot of percentage to get their extreme growth benefits. Chi's can also offer longevity and will help improve udder structure.

TJ

We had several fullblood bulls (had several % bulls also), but we only raised percentage.  I loved the Chi X calves.  Of course, now I raise Lowlines.  ;D

TJ

shortyisqueen said:
Maybe you could breed a fullblood Chi to a lowline and then back Chi again... Maybe you'd eventually get a short, white Chi!  :D

;D

Doc bred some 2,000 lb. Angus cows this summer, but I don't know if he could reach a fullblood Chi!  Matter of fact, if we still had Smitty (fullblood Chi bull), I bet that Doc could walk underneath of Smitty & Doc's back probably wouldn't rub Smitty's belly.

daydreamingacres

If you dont work with them they can try and kill you in a minute....those dont stay around my place too long in fact I sent one to the slaughterhouse this weekend because of that....but my other ones are babies. go down all their legs grab thier udder just good cattle. They do make good crosses on just about anything big enough to handle them. as for being 20-30% chianina......that still means they have 80-70% more of some other rmix of breeds that will probably be more prominant......I guess I would be happy if it was a "chi show" then a "chianina show". This is a chianina show http://www.anabic.it/mostre/chianina_2007/index.html. Great i guess i wanna call it "association".

Show Dad

DDA - I have a suggestion, why not start your own association of team pulling Chianinas? You would get to set the percentage you want and have a list of high % breeders. And you could run it out of your basement. :)

daydreamingacres

I know who the High % breeders are I just have to google it! Yay for google! unfortunatly they teamsters already belong to so many associations already..... I know I am complaining...... Im sorry. I just wanted to know others opinions. I love the chianinas not only for they draft usefulness.... but for their taste and their beauty. It is just kinda frustrating to go from all white to all black and  then explain to people how and why it got to that point.......... Im gonna get hellfor this too but I am also for slick shown steers!! Even though they are so pretty when fit!

TJ

DLD said:
No offense to you daydreamingacres, but the reason there aren't many fullblood Chi's left around anymore is that they just aren't very practical from a beef production standpoint. For the vast majority of producers, they're just too large framed and require too much input (feed) cost compared to the lower percentage cattle. The lower percentage cattle still offer some advantages in terms of growth and muscling and higher yield grades, but in a more practical, effecient package than the high percentage ones. Just my opinion of course, but I believe the future of the breed lies with the multi-generation ChiAngus cattle - they offer some distinct advantages and breed pretty true. I can understand many folks objections to the 3 (and more) way crosses that seem to dominate the show ring, but you have to understand that registering those cattle is helping keep the breed alive, at least. There are still a few breeders around keeping the fullblood's alive, and I commend them for their efforts, but there's simply not enough market to support more than a few of them. I'm sure the ACA staff can help you find these breeders though.

I agree DLD

TJ

DLD said:
No offense to you daydreamingacres, but the reason there aren't many fullblood Chi's left around anymore is that they just aren't very practical from a beef production standpoint. For the vast majority of producers, they're just too large framed and require too much input (feed) cost compared to the lower percentage cattle. The lower percentage cattle still offer some advantages in terms of growth and muscling and higher yield grades, but in a more practical, effecient package than the high percentage ones. Just my opinion of course, but I believe the future of the breed lies with the multi-generation ChiAngus cattle - they offer some distinct advantages and breed pretty true. I can understand many folks objections to the 3 (and more) way crosses that seem to dominate the show ring, but you have to understand that registering those cattle is helping keep the breed alive, at least. There are still a few breeders around keeping the fullblood's alive, and I commend them for their efforts, but there's simply not enough market to support more than a few of them. I'm sure the ACA staff can help you find these breeders though.

I agree DLD

Chi's and Lowline's, while opposite extreme's, have some selling strong points & both breeds are better suited to be used as "percentage cattle" in commercial operations, IMHO.  

Speaking of Chi's...  Our corral was built for them.  It's a minimum of 8 foot high (we wondered if that was tall enough :eek: ) & we built it out of railroad tracks & oil well pipe.  We used to background steers & occasionally, we'd buy some Chi cross calves that would make rodeo stock look like pets!  The Fullbloods weren't that bad at all, but some of those crossbreds were absolutely fruitloops.  On the other hand, with the Lowlines that I've got, you could build a corral out of cattle pannel fence & wire it to t-posts & get along great.  I wouldn't trade our corral for very many others, but it's overkill for our current needs.      

knabe

if you walked by ildeno, both at the stud and at home, he would start breathing heavy and look through his eyebrows at you, but still expect you to scratch his fly clumps on his back till all the scabs were gone.  used to fly spray him after that.

daydreamingacres

knabe said:
if you walked by ildeno, both at the stud and at home, he would start breathing heavy and look through his eyebrows at you, but still expect you to scratch his fly clumps on his back till all the scabs were gone.  used to fly spray him after that.
what were your opinions of him? I wanted to use him but wasnt sure......maybe next year.

knabe

you probably won't find another chi bull of any color that will put as consistent a look to him.  he was used a lot on black cattle.  of the chi's i saw, he seemed to be a moderate bull, but have seen some pretty heavy calves out of him, up to 140, but it seemed most were around 110-120.  when on the rail, his ribeye's were small, ie 13-14 for steers weighing over 1500 not shrunk.  there are a couple of linebred sons of his, with semen around $5-7 you can probably scarf around.  to me, he didn't have a classic draft chi look.  i looked through the 3 years of pic of the italian chi site and did't seen anything that really stood out.

a lot of the pics on the website posted had problems with their front feet and needed trimming badddd.  they tended to round on their rear, had long cannon bones, neither of which ildeno had.  to me, they seemed tight muscled, again, he was not.  one thing he threw were slightly sunken spine.  i didn't think he was as cresty a chi as the rest seem to be.  he was relatively devoid of leather, had decent bone compared to the italian pictures.  remember, this bull was chosen as he was a balanced bull for the "american" market.

here's a link on this site about him including an ad of him, and one of my steers by him with jarold callahan mussing up my steers hair.  he drug his hands all down his side to see if anything rubbed off and kinda looked at me to see when i would whip out the comb.  we didn't hair spray his hair to make it stiff.  we used the foam back then which is probably out of date now.  we also died him a little more silver for this show.  it was at the la county fair.  i'm pretty sure from the pic, you can see my white ildeno steer looked pretty good compared to the others which were mostly chi crosses, ie this was the heavyweight division and they didn't look as nicely patterned as him.  look at the rear feet of all those steers.  the first one is bowlegged, the second is forced wide cuz there's nothing there, the 3rd is benched and he's got no but, mine is set ok, he moved his front foot when he was talking to me and rubbing on him, the 5th steer is good, the 6th was a chi hereford something on our team who was overboned and tight made.  to me, the best ildeno crosses were on amerifax cows.  on straigt angus, they just seemed to be all over the place size wise.  another neat thing about him even though it may not look it from his pic, he could add some length to steres without making them weasel gutted.

he was probably a freak, as i don't remember a son better than him.  then there was sugar ray.... who some probably still use.

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php/topic,628.0.html

back then, a lot of jocks tried to get started by trying to make black polled more moderate framed high percentage chi bulls.  chi's wound up in a lot of strange places supposedly even in charolais.  i used to think a birth spot about 6 inches to a foot in diameter one charolais bull through a lot was because he was part chi.  the spot was the same brownish chi color.  cows out of that charolais bull were over 2000.

attitude wise, i found the chi's to be mostly ok, with the oddballs thrown in, that were usually curly haired with the curls in about a 1 inch diameter all over their body.  saw one take of with a clipping chute.  another jumped out of a washrack with a wall about 5.5 feet high.  he didn't clear it, but drug himself over.  the stable mate to the white one in the link, was a pisser as well.

seemed back then, people used chi's as cleanup's so the late calvers would catch up to the rest so they could be sold as a "consistent" group.  then the feeders found out they weren't consistent.  harris then had a big r&d powwow to identify their "perfect" pecentage of genetics they would grid for and of course would keep that secret.  i got the feeling back then, they really tried to feed consistent cattle.  it was a great learning experience to be in the locker at harris.  it was where i learned for the first time holsteins were to be respected, both for their carcass, but also for their profitability.

daydreamingacres

Thank you very very much knabe... I did read on the chi association webiste that so many people were chi crazy that they werent se;lective and bred some not so pretty animals just for the sake of doing so..... some of the ones around here arent registered and no one knows their breeding and they look like hell.... i think it is som elines that re just nuts but for the most part they are decent animals. Thank your for your support and you insight! Beautiful steers in the pics.

yuppiecowboy

The Chianina and Ildeno love has me scratching my head. I used Ildeno. Two years. Two years because I loved the calves I got out of him and had bred to him again before I found out how batpoop crazy they were. For me it wasnt management. It was genetics. Non chi calves were normal and quiet. 6 mo old Ildeno bulls could clear Scranton panels without touching. I kept two reasonable acting heifers to be cows. They calved once and as soon as I could get them in they grew wheels. Protecting a calf is one thing, jumping in the back of my truck trying to get me is another.

I am pretty confident Ildeno killed a guy at stud. I had heard from some people that had seen him as an old crippled up arthritic bull he would still try to cook your chili.

Amazing to me that Tim Ohlde, yes that Tim Ohlde, was they guy who had him. I am betting that it was Ildeno that convinced Tim that small frame and efficient beats the snot out of fast gain and crazy.

There is a very good reason why FB chis are probably more scarce than pb Dexters. I dont have to go back to kindergarten to learn to tie my shoes again. Lesson learned.

In the old spaghetti eater's defense, pre sugar ray, it was the freakishly small idenos on pb angus cows that won everything. Rompun and thorazine were pretty popular too, though.They kinda went hand in hand.

For the ox person, the most sane chis I knew were out of LOMBARD. He was big, ugly, and I assume quite strong. If you held a gun to my head and said I had to make a team of oxen, I would find some of that old stuff and breed a couple old fleckvieh cows.

knabe

i'll tell one little story without naming names about ildeno.  there is no doubt he was a mean SOB.  once at his home, someone went in his very large pen where he used to just stand next to the fence and look out.  they felt sorry for him and his fly scabs.  they went in and were promptly thrown out.  he had an infected rear foot, but he could still move fast, especially sideways.  the direct ildeno son pictured in the earlier thread shows my sister and her friend petting my steer.  i could and did ride that guy with a halter.  at poly, i don't remember using too many drugs to settle them down.  with 50 kids around all the steers, there was always more people handling steers than steers.  i only remember one steer out of 3 years that didn't make the sale that was a direct chi steer.  from what i remember about angus cows used at the time, at least on the west coast and not tim's, were the roly poly purebred culls that were used.  flynn cattle company also used him a lot with some commercial cows and they had good luck with him.

one other chi cow story.  a fullblood chi was the only cow that ever got me and my supv down on the ground and barely beat her off with a 2x4.  the only cow i ever saw that was worse than her, even after weaning was a clubby full blood brahmer who i thought would be able to jump over the pickup.

one other chi bull tim had that was really pretty, was ino's perfection.

fleckvieh's,  tim's got those too as mentioned on an earlier thread.

i would say tim's greatest strength is being able to identify balanced phenotypes that moderate extemes.  he picked out ildeno for a reason compared to other chi's at the time.  he also picked out a few others in europe from other breeds at the same time (dividend)as well.  i'd have to say of all the bulls he had 25 years ago, my favorite bull was a fullblood friesian named "hi point".  he sure could throw some thick, square butted flexed hocked bull calves on his angus and amerifax and full blood friesian cows.  of the blacks, i'd have to say mr. beefy comes to mind.  a bench mark friesian bull he used was named shandon ali.

i'd probably say the number one reason that turned tim onto more effiecient cattle was minimizing the farming part of his operation and eliminating/minimizing the need for hired hands to make/process feed.  he purchased land from pressure sales that had terraces on it, converted it to pasture and saw who thrived pretty easily.  like i've said before, the most instructive paddock at his place was the cull paddock.  people would always be scanning that paddock thinking he'd put one in there by accident.  i can still see one cow he threw in there to this day. big ol framey cow with a coating of lard that weaned the smallest % calf for some years.  i saw two of them and i was shocked.  i couldn't believe it.

the other thing i bet tim saw was having a diversity of types on his place and saw who got flush from pasture and could still wean a calf and not keep it herself and not have a big droopy udder.  there's a reason 1019's udder looks so good.  i'll bet if she were tested, she would have a high % butterfat.