clippers/blades - - generator

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

buying a set of clippers/blades

any recommendations on what two to purchase, along with blade sets.  can sharpen myself, but it's nice to have extra sets around.  also what lubricant.  dont' need a set than can cut through sand and manure and still stay sharp.  want at least one set that does well with two different types of hair, the straight ones and the curly ones.  comments on the battery one's welcome as well. and also if there is a generator that is quiet, and that does well with staying cool.  saw two protables at the feed store yesterday that were kinda pricey including a diesel.  both were hookable to an interlock for your house.

shortyjock89

Clippers- I like my Andis two speed set.  I have the silver ones.  They work really well for most jobs.  I've even clipped heads with them.  Mini Micro's are good too.  I don't like the clippers with the light on them though, because they cast weird shadows sometimes. 

Blades-  My X-Blocks from Sullivan's are awesome.  They clip through glue and paint and stay sharp.  They are probably the my favorites.They are a must for legs.  But I like to use a pair of Oster Opti-Block's for body clipping and younger calves especially, because I find that they don't gouge as badly.  I also love my Medium Blending blades.  They're great for the neck, shoulder, butt...pretty much anywhere you "drag" the blades. 

Lubricants-  The Sullivan's products are good-Extend, Endurance Oil. My favorite is the Oster Kool Lube though.  They came out with a new formula that cleans, lubricatates, cools, and disinfects all at once.  That stuff is great for clipping sale calves or for clipping multiple calves at a show, or any situation when you don't have alot of time to clean out the blades really well. 

Generators- I don't know alot about them, but Honda's are the most popular around here.  They're relatively quiet compared to some that I've seen.

shortyjock89

knabe said:
thanks shortyjock89, especially the comment onyounger calves.

Hey no problem...also, I was thinking that the newest set of Blending blades from Sullivan's would be good for young calves too.  I don't know about you, but I don't clip the sale/prospect calves down as tight as I do the yearlings.  The Medium Blending blades would allow for more margin of error because even if the calf jumps and you do happen to have the clippers in an unfortunate position, the hair won't be all shaved down (in most cases). 

And on the Lubricants...I take back the part where it's Oster that has the new 5 in 1...It's Andis that does, and boy does that stuff work.  Oster has a really good lubricant out too and it is called Kool Lube 3.

shorthorns r us

avoid the bat powered clippers like the plague; never known a satisfied user. sometimes i like to use the t84 blade for heads and tails; but, sometimes i don't know the difference.

DLD

shortyjock89 said:
Clippers- I like my Andis two speed set.  I have the silver ones.  They work really well for most jobs.  I've even clipped heads with them.  Mini Micro's are good too.  I don't like the clippers with the light on them though, because they cast weird shadows sometimes. 

Blades-  My X-Blocks from Sullivan's are awesome.  They clip through glue and paint and stay sharp.  They are probably the my favorites.They are a must for legs.  But I like to use a pair of Oster Opti-Block's for body clipping and younger calves especially, because I find that they don't gouge as badly.  I also love my Medium Blending blades.  They're great for the neck, shoulder, butt...pretty much anywhere you "drag" the blades. 

Lubricants-  The Sullivan's products are good-Extend, Endurance Oil. My favorite is the Oster Kool Lube though.  They came out with a new formula that cleans, lubricatates, cools, and disinfects all at once.  That stuff is great for clipping sale calves or for clipping multiple calves at a show, or any situation when you don't have alot of time to clean out the blades really well. 

Generators- I don't know alot about them, but Honda's are the most popular around here.  They're relatively quiet compared to some that I've seen.

I'll pretty much echo this, with a couple of additions - I absolutely love Oster #10 wide's for clipping heads or anything you'd use beef head type clippers for, plus they work great for blending necks. If I was only buying 2 blade sets, it would be an Opti-Block and a 10 wide (but I keep more like 12 - 15 sets, and I like the X-Blocks alot, too).

On generators, I'd say Yamaha's are up there with the Honda's. If you're willing to spend the money, either of those are quite a bit better than anything else I've been around (the ones you get at builders, or farm and home, or discount stores).

David

Latest posts