clubby bull to improve disposition?

Help Support Steer Planet:

GoWyo

This is my observation.  Show Heifer's response can be broken into 2 parts.  The first part was good helpful info:

You haven't mentioned what you have bred her to in the past that have resulted in "insane" calves ... but I am guessing if she has had more than one "insane" calf, then its the cows problem (which I think you realize).  The calf is learning the behavior from the cow, and more than likely, it will not matter what you breed her to, unless you are willing to remove the calf from her early (as in 60-75 days).  That way, it will be small enough that you can control and hopefully, it will not have learned so much evil behavor from its Mother.
My Dr.Who's have been easy to work with, but then again, I have gentle cows.

I don't think anyone had a problem with this first part.  It was the second part that was condescending and snipey:

I wish you luck... she must be one darn good cow to tolerate her behavior.

I took the second part to actually mean:  "Wow, you are such an idiot to have a cow like this, while I am so smart to have gentle cows."

Had the last sentence been left off, there would not have been any controversy.  Just my observation for what it's worth, which isn't much.

steer-guy

From what I could see, there was absolutly nothing wrong with Show Heifer's first response. I think the part about she must be a good cow to tolerate that type of behavior simply gives a reason one would keep her if that's where the problem is. I don't know why she (I think she's a she) was attacked.... rediculous...
Everyone has his or her opinions.

OH Breeder

steer-guy said:
From what I could see, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Show Heifer's first response. I think the part about she must be a good cow to tolerate that type of behavior simply gives a reason one would keep her if that's where the problem is. I don't know why she (I think she's a she) was attacked.... ridiculous...
Everyone has his or her opinions.

If Show Heifers reply would have been "hey you misunderstood me, what I meant was....blah blah." But in true Show Heifer fashion she returns with ...." your an idiot" which reaffirms a new person's idea that the intent of her post was nasty and or negative. When communicating on a message board no one can see or hear your inflection. Some people are very literally when they type. IT can and does come across as nasty. I can see where Oakie is coming from.

HGC

Getting back on topic, our GVC Maverick calves were absolute puppy dogs.  I know he is not a clubby bull, but if you are wanting a replacement heifer, I think he will cross very well with Angus to make good cows to cross with clubby bulls.

TJ

Show Heifer said:
You haven't mentioned what you have bred her to in the past that have resulted in "insane" calves ... but I am guessing if she has had more than one "insane" calf, then its the cows problem (which I think you realize).  The calf is learning the behavior from the cow, and more than likely, it will not matter what you breed her to, unless you are willing to remove the calf from her early (as in 60-75 days).  That way, it will be small enough that you can control and hopefully, it will not have learned so much evil behavor from its Mother.

I agree, even with the part about "she must be one... good cow to tolerate her behavior".  

chambero

For our operation, there is a big difference between tolerable behavior for a commercial cow and what's tolerable for a show momma.  For example the white cow in my avatar is no puppy dog.  She is fine with the herd, but goes pretty crazy if you ever separate her by herself.  We'd never think about getting rid of her, but I'd also never try to handle her as a flush cow.  She has a super Monopoly heifer this year that will get weaned at about 3 months old so that she doesn't learn too much of mommas suspicious ways.

Generally, I think most Maine bulls sire calves with better dispositions relative to Simi or crossbred bulls. 

oakie

I would appreciate it if you did not send me snide little comments showheifer.  This is what I received today on the karma thing:  "let it go, obviously you made a mistake".  You can not tell me this person does not like to argue. This topic was dropped quite a while ago and she is still at it.  This really aggrevated me so I thought I would share what type of person she really is. Sorry to continue this little discussion.  In case you are wondering, my reply : 

I did not make a mistake, you are an #*&hole and I called you on it. The fact that you sent me a little message concurs that statement. I let it go quite a while ago. So take your own advice and "let it go" I want nothing to do with you.

Bradenh

well oakie is trying to teach us a lesson ladies and gentlemen. we should practice what we preach  <beer>  (lol)

bart

that message that she sent to lower your karma wasnt nessicery and i agree with showstopper. practice what you preach

AAOK

TJ said:
Show Heifer said:

I agree, even with the part about "she must be one... good cow to tolerate her behavior".  

I also agree with Show Heifer's comments.  Oakie owes all an apology.

OH Breeder

AAOK said:
TJ said:
Show Heifer said:

I also agree with Show Heifer's comments.  Oakie owes all an apology.

There is no way to block someone on here from messaging you. I don't think Oakie owes anyone an apology. SH"s response to Oakie could have been handled different. As I said, the written word leaves alot open for interpretation and miscommunication.

oakie

When I am in the wrong, I apologize, but in this case hell will freeze over before I make any ammends to someone that sends me little snide remarks like that and believes they will get away with it.

Sam

I will say it is painful to read showheifers responses and not say anything. It is about time someone called her on it. If you have nothing positive to add to the conversation, then just move on.

farmin female

What fun!!!!

Anyway, I think you may have a problem with the cow also and maybe it't not a learned behavior; maybe it's genetic.  Some breeds are more aggressive than others and possibly you have a bad genetic combo going.  But, generally speaking, (and I would never dream of saying I'm an expert) if your cow is docile, you should have some docile calves. 

Cattledog

LostFarmer said:
Breed her to a friction/EXT son and sell the cattle into the born to buck bull program.   <beer>

Now that's funny!  (lol)

oakie

LostFarmer said:
Breed her to a friction/EXT son and sell the cattle into the born to buck bull program.   <beer>

Throw in some tahemo bando......those ext and bandos can cover some country and jump some gates omg. 

Dyer Show cattle

Sunseeker would be my vote. Had many great ones out of angus cows and other breeds. All of them have been quite. Just tied up 2 last sun and was leading them the same day. Also have never kicked once with a blower, stick, or combing legs.

chambero

I like the breed them to be wild approach.  I bet if you bred Full Throttle to the craziest cow you could find it would be a sight to see.  I never saw a single gentle Throttle calf