Cold weather wear or brr!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

We've discussed what the well dressed calf will be wearing this winter. Some I think actually look better than their owners! (lol)
It is supposed to be -5 this weekend in Ohio & that's without the wind chill. So, I thought maybe I could get some good tips on what to wear to keep warm. My 2 biggest problems are keeping my socks up in my boots & my fingers from freezing!  ??? What items do you swear by for keeping you toasty in the cold?
Red

genes

Brrr....I always go with a scarf over my face.  And it helps to have some little "magic mittens" under your big gloves so that if you have to take off the big gloves to do some fine work (like tying a knot or something) the hands aren't exposed.  For the socks, stop wearing your husband's socks  ;D  Seriously though....the tighter fitting ones as opposed to I just found it in the sock box work better.    Don't lick any metal gates.......

red

For the socks, stop wearing your husband's socks    Seriously though....the tighter fitting ones as opposed to I just found it in the sock box work better.    Don't lick any metal gates.......

Actually my feet are bigger than my husbands!  (lol)
I have found that if I add these slipper type sock over my regular ones it keeps my socks from slipping. I also wear one of those one piece orange ski masks. Biggest trouble is my nose always runs in the cold. I used those hot hands at a show in December, really liked those for an all day event.
Learned whan I was little not to lick a metal gate but it was a water hydrant then!!! :)))

Red

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Long underwear, pair of jeans, carharts, gloves, jacket, and a stocking cap and I ready to go.

austin

You heard cowz had her one of her calves in her kitchen for a period of time.  ;D

DL

scrawney people in cold weather need to be creative and warm - this is the latest in 2007 barn wear for MI where it is suppose to be vile cold - the kind that freezes your nose hairs and your glasses!

Feet - smart wool sox - 2 pair one real thick and one of the liners - boots either Muck Arctic boots or gortex leather (depends on deoth of snow, smoothness of surface and how the knees are!)

Hands - these funky little things I got from the drug store which are basically a nylon glove without fingers - covered by smart wool liners covered by *yeah it is a little wierd) Land's End polar fleece gloves 9 wild colors can be found when you drop them)

Body - underarmour top and bottom, polar fleece pants, hooded sweatshirt, carhart bibs neck thing and one of those delightful old man hats with the brim and the ear flaps and the piece d'resistance a 30 year old down coat that I made (yes - I can sew, I made a tent and a sleeping bag too) because all the girl coats were cute and didn't cover the butt) that comes down almost to my knees and is warm and tosty and light as  a feather - one day I just realized that wearing the carhart artic coat was like carrying around another 20 pounds and dragged ol' blue out of the basement.

No scarf over face, glasses freeze can't see - not good!

And let me tell you I am a vision of loveliness!  (lol)

DL

cowz

Austin said:
You heard cowz had her one of her calves in her kitchen for a period of time.  ;D

It was my turn to check heifers this am.  At 2:30 this am it was -16!  YEEHAW!  There is not enuf fleece in the universe to make that fun to do!

The last group of heifers are Angus.  Good moms.  I couldnt snitch their calves and put em in the kitchen if I tried!!!! ::)

red

went out to do chores this morning with the following on:
3 pairs of socks
1 pair of long underwear & pants
2 shirts
2 pairs of gloves
1 hat & 1 face mask
2 pairs of insulated coveralls
Heavy insulated boots
Took me twice as long todo the chores because I was moving slowly from all the layers but I was toasty!

Red (-5 degrees)

garybob

(lol) I admire you guys for your perserverence in adverse conditions. 9 above was the coldest it got here, this winter.  Froze any ears? Never understood why order buyers will give a discount to calves with frost-bitten ears.

DL

;D ;D ;D ;D
Well I think we all survived the vile nasty cold windy blizzard weather - 4 foot of snow drifts! Wind chill reported as low as minus 45 with wind gusts up over 50 - white out - temp less than zero - pretty icky!

But all calves are warm and up - 3 of 4 nursing and  - #4 (bull calf!) but born with membrane over face is not the greatest sucker yet! Hopefully in the am he will get with the program and decrease my workload! The bouncing babies make all the long hours, sore muscles, aching everywhere worth it (a good nights sleep will help too)

If you are calving hope your weather is at least decent and that calves are bouncing!  (cow) DL

red

We had 2 born yesterday. One here, a little red heifer about a week early. The other at the farm out of a first calf heifer. It is a black bull calf.
I'm hoping both don't loose their ears. We towled our calf off & I tried to thaw the ears out. But at -2 yesterday it didn't take long for her to ice up. Luckily she has one of the best momma cows we have.
It's -5 this morning, most of the schools in the area are closed today.

Red