Compton brought a Chute Full to the Cattle Congress

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

4331318 Comptons How Its Done Hes an April 12th 2021, and has been back and forth getting collected for a good while. Thus hes pretty lean, just fed Hi roughage and hay for the most .He was 68 pounds at birth and looks to weigh 1900-2000 LBS. if Jones Show Cattle (thanks for trying him) Reds and Shorts or anyone else from SP is looking at display bulls check him out and say hello to Jim Compton. Ill post a couple better pics as they come.

Attachments

• Resized_2 (35).jpg How its done at c congress.jpg
    Resized_2 (35).jpg How its done at c congress.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 25

mark tenenbaum

ON Display Which in itself is pretty tedious for a bull But he aint no fat cream puff who looks like fluffy the kitty cat

Attachments

• Resized_2 (35).jpg HID 2033.jpg
    Resized_2 (35).jpg HID 2033.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Resized_2 (35).jpg HID 2023 side.jpg 1.jpg
    Resized_2 (35).jpg HID 2023 side.jpg 1.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Resized_2 (35).jpg HID 23 SIDE 2.jpg
    Resized_2 (35).jpg HID 23 SIDE 2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

beebe

So, if he weighs nearly a ton at about 21 months, how big is he going to be at maturity? Any idea about frame size?

Hopster1000

So, if he weighs nearly a ton at about 21 months, how big is he going to be at maturity? Any idea about frame size?
What is an acceptable growth rate and weight in North America now?
1900lb is approx 863kg
Take away 31kg birthweight (which is tiny by Irish and UK standards) which leaves 832kg at 21 months.
That works out at approx 1.3kg weight gain per day. Which is not particularly over the top for beef bred cattle over here.

Here is a link to a sale in Scotland at Fearn Farm at the end of this month.
20 shorthorn bulls for sale. All 20/21 months old.
Average weight is 828kg
Top weight is 953kg
Currently average daily weight gain is 1.88kg.

mark tenenbaum

Ill have to ask Compton The last time I saw him was October when I took him to Nichols then brought him back He isnt that tall really just massive I dont think hes as tall as North of 49 So im guessing a five a HAF TO SIX frame He is just heavier than he appears But is not extreme in terms of his shoulder etc. The CF Pay weight bull is 22 months old and 68 inches tall. Which makes him an 11 frame bull? I"ll reserve comment RE what 4-5 of the guys and ladies (Ive known for 15-30 years) said about him thickness wise

Last edited:

beebe

What is an acceptable growth rate and weight in North America now?
1900lb is approx 863kg
Take away 31kg birthweight (which is tiny by Irish and UK standards) which leaves 832kg at 21 months.
That works out at approx 1.3kg weight gain per day. Which is not particularly over the top for beef bred cattle over here.

Here is a link to a sale in Scotland at Fearn Farm at the end of this month.
20 shorthorn bulls for sale. All 20/21 months old.
Average weight is 828kg
Top weight is 953kg
Currently average daily weight gain is 1.88kg.

My goal for cow size is a frame score 4 that weighs 1250 pounds. So, my acceptable size is a bull that is compatible has to fits with that. If they get there fast is fine, I just don't want cows that are much bigger.

Medium Rare

The CF Pay weight bull is 22 months old and 68 inches tall. Which makes him an 11 frame bull? I"ll reserve comment RE what 4-5 of the guys and ladies (Ive known for 15-30 years) said about him thickness wise

Who took this measurement? Those figures would have the bull plumb off the charts.

mark tenenbaum

Who took this measurement? Those figures would have the bull plumb off the charts.
They are listed as part of the show-I heard about them from another person who showed there. That aint off the charts UB Mad Max was bigger than that But thats in 1993-94 Sullivan Pulse has a picture of him he is truly 80s early 90s girrafe status from the show pictures posted-No comment on the rest

Last edited:

mark tenenbaum

My goal for cow size is a frame score 4 that weighs 1250 pounds. So, my acceptable size is a bull that is compatible has to fits with that. If they get there fast is fine, I just don't want cows that are much bigger.
Any idea of a mature weight of your compatible bull ? I think a 1200 pound frame 4 cow is pretty hard to come up with in the general "everyday" population of cattle

beebe

Any idea of a mature weight of your compatible bull ? I think a 1200 pound frame 4 cow is pretty hard to come up with in the general "everyday" population of cattle
Probably 1700 to 1850, yes, I have to look for new genetics and I raise most of my bulls. I did say 1250 pound cow. She has to be thick deep and in good shape, which they usually are. My cows still have their calves on them and they are in good shape as are their calves.

mark tenenbaum

just looking at those pictures closer makes me wonder what the hell they are feeding them up in Iowa wow 🤩 Hi Roughage Back in the fulblood Maine thread there is a picture of one of my heifers eating the same thing HE is not FAT like the typical show cattle Comptons never are. Hes one of the best feeders for keeping them full and fresh I know

mark tenenbaum

Probably 1700 to 1850, yes, I have to look for new genetics and I raise most of my bulls. I did say 1250 pound cow. She has to be thick deep and in good shape, which they usually are. My cows still have their calves on them and they are in good shape as are their calves.
Heres my small one Shes raising her second calf who was very small at birth but really growing Shes barely 1100 Might go 1200 in real good shape when the calf is weaned. Her first calf really did a number on her But she weaned close to 50% of her wieght

Attachments

• Resized_2 (35).jpg Calypso Jan 22.jpg
    Resized_2 (35).jpg Calypso Jan 22.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3913.jpg Calypso and second calf.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg Calypso and second calf.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 9
  • calypso pretty mountain pic IMG_6525.jpg
    calypso pretty mountain pic IMG_6525.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 11

beebe

I did say my goal, obviously I have cows on both sides of my goal. Some of my first calf heifers are a little thinner than the rest. Your cow looks to be recovered well. I don't feed grain, they have to do it on grass and hay.

Latest posts