Compton brought a Chute Full to the Cattle Congress

Help Support Steer Planet:

beebe

You know it will. The Shorthorn -Highlander cross has been big time for the highest grading beef in the British (AND OTHER) Isles since the cattle have existed there. 200 years more or less. Same with the Blues from the Gallowayx Whitebred Shorthorns. A luing aI would have to be a hiefer bull with a useful live calf Showring or not . I am assuming Luings are more or less 50% Shorthorn genetically
Five eighths shorthorn I believe. They fit with the rest of my cattle. A little lighter red maybe.

Hopster1000

Attachments

• bccs2_v7_Dec_20.pdf
    942.3 KB · Views: 2

Hopster1000

what is the quantifiable grading system in Britain with regard to marbling? i don't see any comments regarding marbling, just cover.

There is nothing on marbling, or tenderness. High fat cover grades would get a reduced price per kilo in the grading characteristics.
A lean, muscular carcass is what the commercial producer is aiming for. Hence the prominence of myostatin.
The only way for high fat cover to pay is to go through the native breed schemes, like the Glenarm Shorthorn Beef scheme in Northern Ireland. Even then marbling and tenderness are not graded. The requirements are just a fat class 4 or 5.

mark tenenbaum

And for me tenderness is critical.
The Luing x Shorthorn or Shorthorn blend should not be an issue there. The Highland Shorthorn crosses I read about were many years ago. The pictured showed a light colored hairy bu;ll. And the overall eating quality of the beef was described as very good and sought after. In laymans terms: it was expensive due to the quality. Those cattle didnt have a breed name per se-JMO thats where the Luings come from

beebe

Well, that is what I am about, premium price for premium beef.