cork screw hoof

Help Support Steer Planet:

debtramm

My daughter's cow, age 4, has recently developed the condition of cork screw hoof -  on the front -  which seems to be unusual from the information which I have read.  Info says it mostly affects the rear hooves.
Can steer planet folks give me information and advice on treatment of the condition vs culling from herd based on actual  experiences with this problem?  Any info would be much appreciated.

The cow is due to calve in late August so must get her through calving and hopefully up to weaning process.  Would just like to hear what you all have seen and done.  Thanks much.  Gator Mom

lightnin4

Has a vet looked at it?  There are some other things that could be mistaken for screw claw, especially since it is on the front.  If you just want to get the cow to weaning, then trimming might help.  You would probably have to do it a few times between now & then.  If it's true corkscrew claw, then it will be a chronic problem though.  Culling is recommended as the problem can be passed on to the calves.

debtramm

I haven't had the vet look at it but I did have the cow farrier out last Friday.  She has the "typical" twisted hoof and the wrapping around of the hoof under neath into the sole area.  I haven't read any information that says this condition occurs on the front - it only refers to the back.  That's why I was looking for insight from others. GM

DL

Cork screw claw - usually on hind limbs but can occur on front
Rarely seen before age 3
Believed to have a heritable component
Trimming is required for the life of the animal
May result in ankylosing (fusing together) of distal joints due to strain put on joint
Some believe animals with cork screw claw should not be bred or their offspring not kept as breeding stock
(Lameness in Cattle, Greenough 3rd edition)
Therapeutic trimming is difficult because it is difficult to judge the thickness of the claw

Find someone knowledgeable in therapeutic trimming and it should not be an issue to get the cow to August
U Fla vet school used to have one of the best veterinary trimmers in the nation - he is now in Iowa - but calling them for advise could be helpful to you

debtramm

My trimmer is quite knowledgeable and was trained at UF too.  My inquisitive nature was to seek additional info.  I, too, feel that I can get her to late August w/ trimming regularly.  some info which I have read says that it is inheritable but the % seems pretty low.  As she is just now 4, we are seeing the first signs of it.  She had a bull calf last year which went on to win res. grand champ at a neighboring county fair.  so I hate like heck at culling her but I do understand if she bares a heifer calf that it could mean trouble down the road. GM

JSchroeder

I did more reading on it than I wanted to this Spring after a bull came out of the field with one on his hind foot.  He's a young bull (coming two year old right now) and was cited for "extra sound in his structure" in the catalog of the big name sale we bought him in last fall.  We paid a ton of attention to his feet because he was so thick and he moved extremely well at the time.  The issue was not there in October.

Were you talking about the "Within herd estimates of heritabilities for six hoof characteristics and impact of dispersion of discrete severity scores on estimates" paper on the heritability % or was there another one?  I did buy that paper and in the conclusions they blame it more on environmental factors than genetic but I'd love to see more info on it.