County Fair, Hair vs Slick

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dixie

I was wondering just what the trend seems to be in the north region for County fairs in regards steers and hair? We recently had our County fair and my son was knocked by the judge for Hair. The first comments made by the judge in the ring was "this is not a beauty contest." I was quite impressed with the job that he did fitting the calf entirely by himself, especially since this is only his third year showing, and only at the County fair. I should mention that he is the only member that actually put any effort into fitting his animal, most everything else went into the ring slick. He did manage to pull out the top showman honors for his division as well as Reserve Grand Champion, but as I said before each time he was in the ring the judge made the same comment in regards to the beauty contest. Thanks for any input.

Jill

Since no one else has answered you I'll give you my opinion.  The judge is both right and wrong IMO, this is a county fair and as such it is a finished steer show, it is also a live show so in my opinion yes it still is a beauty contest.  The winner should be the most properly finished steer that is also the best appearing.  Part of the beef project is still learning to properly present your animal and that IMO includes making the most of the hair you have.  If our shows have no interest in how they look, they should just have a carcass class and be done with it.

shortyjock89

Dixie, where is your county fair?  Here in IL, the judges usually LOVE hair on a steer that is properly finished.  What it comes down to though, is which steer is better? If there is just an absolute hair ball that has very little to offer in terms of maket-readiness and muscle shape, they will take a slicker haired steer that has those qualities.  In junior shows here, hair is a big plus because it shows that the exhibitor has worked their tail off at home and may help them get the nod if it comes down to their hairy steer and a slick steer of similar quality.  At the big shows here in IL though, hair is king.  OH, btw, welcome to SteerPlanet  (welcome)!!

garybob

simtal said:
I'd say you have a judge with bad attitude
or.......a Judge with a keen eye for Cattle. I've yet to see someone order hair at a Steak House! Perhaps this Judge has an attitude, because He's gettin' tired of sorting through too many well-fitted calves, without any characteristics of a Market Steer ( in Industry standards), at all these shows.

Who was the Judge? The Judge's personal experiences and background have an impact on the way He evaluated the cattle that day.

Academian? If so, what University or Junior College?

Industry Professional? If so, in what part of the Beef Industry?

Breeder? If so, what breed?

"Slick" and "No-fit" shows are my preferred kinds of shows to sit and watch, as the cattle can't be altered & must be good,in order to win.

GB

jimmyski

garybob said:
simtal said:
or.......a Judge with a keen eye for Cattle. I've yet to see someone order hair at a Steak House! Perhaps this Judge has an attitude, because He's gettin' tired of sorting through too many well-fitted calves, without any characteristics of a Market Steer ( in Industry standards), at all these shows.

Who was the Judge? The Judge's personal experiences and background have an impact on the way He evaluated the cattle that day.

Academian? If so, what University or Junior College?

Industry Professional? If so, in what part of the Beef Industry?

Breeder? If so, what breed?

"Slick" and "No-fit" shows are my preferred kinds of shows to sit and watch, as the cattle can't be altered & must be good,in order to win.

GB

GB,
I can understand your thoughts on this (I too have never seen anyone order hair at a steakhouse), however I think it is wrong to punish a kid with hair. To me that shows that he has spent a lot of time with that animal: washing, brushing, and blowing it out. I also believe that if a judge can't evealuate past(see through) the hair, then he probably shouldn't be judging at all. Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Dixie

We are in Michigan, the judge raises Angus cattle and is an FFA advisor, anything other than that I don't know about him, which would include his name. The question I had really wasn't wether or not a more properly finished animal should win, it should IMO. I was wondering about the hair issue, and the remarks that were made each time he entered the show ring. I have taken the kids (11 yr.old) to fitting clinics, breed stock shows and watched the Stierwalt videos etc. preparing them for the future in showing cattle. I would like to learn what is going in other areas in regards to county fairs and hair. Thanks for the welcome Olson Family Shorthorns, I've learned alot from everyone by reading SP. :)

shortyjock89

Well, this year has been kind of interesting for me.  I've been told by judges that they love the hair that I have on my heifer and then I've been told that she is too clubby, and that includes her amount of hair I've been told.  Thing of it is, I would have clipped more hair off of her, but I am kind of saving her for state fair.  I had her clipped out pretty good at Jr. Nationals, and the judges liked her hair.  The judges at Jr. Nationals were the guys that are in charge of Express Ranch, so I think they know a thing or two about good cattle, and they didn't mind hair.  I would say that a good judge in Michigan should appreciate the hair that your son has been able to grow on his calf.  If you are planning on going to state fair with the calf, I would say that the more hair he has, the better, but I bet you knew that  ;).  Do you have a picture of the calf, I just like looking at calves haha.

zach said:
ohio is a hairy state

I totally agree. I live in Ohio. We go to a small county fair with about 10 big steers each year. And even at such a little show. EVERY steer has hair and is fitted.
When i go to purchase cattle, i look for hair and when people buy cattle from me i try to have good hair on them. Hair is a must.
If a judge wants a steer with no hair, then go to a carcass show.
Cattle with good hair is a thing that most 4-Hers have to work to get. So this shows how much thye have worked with their calf. I no that wont be a consideration in a market class but it is very true.

simtal

garybob said:
simtal said:

I yet to see someone order a shorthorn a steak house too but, that don't mean it can't be good!

dori36

Dixie said:
We are in Michigan, the judge raises Angus cattle and is an FFA advisor, anything other than that I don't know about him, which would include his name. The question I had really wasn't wether or not a more properly finished animal should win, it should IMO. I was wondering about the hair issue, and the remarks that were made each time he entered the show ring. I have taken the kids (11 yr.old) to fitting clinics, breed stock shows and watched the Stierwalt videos etc. preparing them for the future in showing cattle. I would like to learn what is going in other areas in regards to county fairs and hair. Thanks for the welcome Olson Family Shorthorns, I've learned alot from everyone by reading SP. :)

My question for the Fair Committee would be was the judge advised that it was a slick shear show and maybe asked to be sure to consider that when looking over the class? Surely a top hairy animal shouldn't be penalized over a mediocre slick one, but if all was equal, maybe the judge needed to go with the slick one if that's what the committee was looking to do.  Since "everyone else went in slick", is there a chance that everyone else knew it was a slick show? If so, that left your son sticking out like a sore thumb - albeit a hard working one!  What county are you in?  I'm also in MI

bjs

ShadeRiverShowCattle said:
zach said:
ohio is a hairy state

I totally agree. I live in Ohio. We go to a small county fair with about 10 big steers each year. And even at such a little show. EVERY steer has hair and is fitted.
When i go to purchase cattle, i look for hair and when people buy cattle from me i try to have good hair on them. Hair is a must.
Cattle with good hair is a thing that most 4-Hers have to work to get. So this shows how much thye have worked with their calf. I no that wont be a consideration in a market class but it is very true.

I agree with rinsing shows the kids have worked with their cattle, but I rinse my calves every day in the summer and try to get them to hair up, and other calves come into the fair with more hair because their parents have coolers for them.  I think that is fine, but it takes the hard work out of 4-H and really shows what this country is coming to or already has come to.  Dont get me wrong, I think coolers are Ok as long as the kids work with their calves, which is actually the point of 4-H. P.S. I love to have hairy calves too!

Jill

bjs said:
zach said:
ohio is a hairy state

I agree with rinsing shows the kids have worked with their cattle, but I rinse my calves every day in the summer and try to get them to hair up, and other calves come into the fair with more hair because their parents have coolers for them.  I think that is fine, but it takes the hard work out of 4-H and really shows what this country is coming to or already has come to.  Dont get me wrong, I think coolers are Ok as long as the kids work with their calves, which is actually the point of 4-H. P.S. I love to have hairy calves too!

We have done it both ways and I can guarantee you that a cooler doesn't take the hard work out of anything.  It takes the same amount of work, the animals just stay at a more comfortable temperature.

CAB

I agree with Jimmy Ski, most judges have enough experience to see through hair @ the county fair level. There aren't very many large county fairs left. Usually the best calf comes to the top easily. There will always be differences in opinions b/c of the different judge's preferences, but most of the time, if you go to many shows, you'll be able to follow along. We like to go walk through fairs b4 the show to see if we can figure out who might play hard. We're not too far off generally.

Jill said:
bjs said:
zach said:
ohio is a hairy state

We have done it both ways and I can guarantee you that a cooler doesn't take the hard work out of anything.  It takes the same amount of work, the animals just stay at a more comfortable temperature.

i totally agree Jill. Just because you have a cooler dont mean you dont have to work. You still have to rinse and brush and rinse and brush to get that hair. Although cool rooms help is will never totally replace workin with the calves hair. Somethimes cool rooms are used to keep the calf comfortable so they will eat better and gain more weight not just to make more hair.

Rocky Hill Simmental

Dixie said:
I was wondering just what the trend seems to be in the north region for County fairs in regards steers and hair? We recently had our County fair and my son was knocked by the judge for Hair. The first comments made by the judge in the ring was "this is not a beauty contest." I was quite impressed with the job that he did fitting the calf entirely by himself, especially since this is only his third year showing, and only at the County fair. I should mention that he is the only member that actually put any effort into fitting his animal, most everything else went into the ring slick. He did manage to pull out the top showman honors for his division as well as Reserve Grand Champion, but as I said before each time he was in the ring the judge made the same comment in regards to the beauty contest. Thanks for any input.

Last year I had a heifer that was knocked down in placings because of her hair too. He said that it made her "uncomfortable" because it was about 100 degrees that day. A lot of judges don't seem to like the hairy ones. lol

jimmyski

I guess I will add another comment on this topic after reading what Rocky Hill had to say. When it comes to steers, I really don't care if they have hair or not. Like I said before, a decent judge will be able to see/evaluate through the hair and make his placings accordingly. I will say however, that I'm not a huge fan of having a lot of hair on heifers during the summer months. I like a heifer to be clean, well groomed, and presented well. I will agree with what Rocky Hill's judge said, 100 degree's is too hot for a heifer with a lot of hair. It's also probably too hot for a steer with a lot of hair. The difference being that most of the steers at county fair will be going to slaughter right after, whereas the heifers will be took home and either put back in the cooler or kicked out. If you are kicking them out then I would definitely recommend shearing them of before you do so rather than just letting them shed out themselves. This will reduce some of the dramatic weight loss and stress put on the heifer.

OH Breeder

Here is my two cents which ain't much now adays.

The judge should not have made an obvious point to call your child out. So what if he had more hair. It is a market contest and as others have said a good judge will put their hands on them and feel the animal through the hair. That is the judges personal opinion and the market in general is for a "hairy presentation". It is a beauty pageant. It they want a slick show then have one, or just have a car lot show or better yet live judging with carcass contest to follow.

Coolers
UGH, they are ALOT of work. the only advantage to them is temperature. The work that goes into keep them clean and SAFE is tremendous. A calf may grow hair but you still have to rinse, still have to brush and still have to go barn every day usually several times a day to watch the temperature and circulation. I worry more when they are in the cooler. Keep ammonia down and if it quits working and you don't have proper ventilation, it can spell disaster. Rinsing and fans is allot safer to me.