cow/calf not thriving....suggestions welcome

Help Support Steer Planet:

herfluvr

Hey folks.  This has been a good source of "i didn't think of that" ideas
We have a 5 yr old herf cow with a 2 month old heifer on side.  Let me preface this with we are small breeder and raised the mother and this is her 3rd calf.  We take really good care of our small herd as they were all show girls at one time and my cattle friend laughs that if he needs one in better condition he will bring it here.  The calf has been on and off with scours from birth.  Treated with some antibiotics since it ran a fever right after birth.  Environment is clean.  Navel treated at birth with iodine.  Clean bedding.  Clean water and out on pasture.  Fecal study showed no parasites.  Blood work has been normal.  Mother is a bit thin(no ribs showing but topline is pronounced) which is not the norm around here.  Current on worming.  Calf is still loose.  Vet has been consulted along the way and said the stool may be runny for a long time.  Calf is smaller as well and perky but just not as fleshy as the heifer born(same bull) within a day of her on another cow. They are now in the calf barn with fans running, all the hay she wants and is getting about 10lbs/day of a 12% beef mix from the mill. Milk production is about a 6 on a 10 scale. 
We are at a loss as to what or if there is anything we missed. Our ladies usually are a 9 or 10 just on our pasture with mineral and hay to boot!
Welcome to all constructive thoughts on anything we may have missed. TIA

ETA:  Thank you for the suggestions.  We have had her looked at further and it has been determined it is a heart issue.  I appears her right side eye has been affected.  Her jugular veins are enlarged.  Blood is not flowing well and she won't be long for the world.  Odd case the vet said.

simba

Sounds like you’re doing everything right. My first guess from that description would be that the cow might have hardware. Could you or your vet give her a magnet?

ska

yah ^. i would try that. and give the calf some selennium and or other minerals. keep me posted about them.  <beer>

CRS

Probiotics for both might help.  If the gut flora are off it may not allow them to utilize the feed they are taking in.  If they or some others have been outside of the herd it might be smart to have her tested for BVD.  We lost one this year that started out similarly and she ended up having leukosis. 

Latest posts