cow calf pair

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

what do you think of these cow and her heifer.
heifer
2picb20.jpg

rear picture of pair
2picc20.jpg

heifer
2pic20.jpg

cow
2picb18.jpg

cow
2pic18.jpg

pigguy

the heifer is out of  The Godfather  and JJN Miss 25N

the cow is  out of FCC EPINAL 240C and JULIET MA 25J
the cow is an 2003 an dis fullblood maine
and the heifer is an 2006 and is 70% maine

pigguy

2picb21.jpg

2pic21.jpg

Sire: Who Made Who 411F, Dam: SSAC Summers Pride, Born 9/20/04, 50% Maine
and is bred to an angus embory Due to calve 9/28/07

and
2pic19.jpg

Sire: VMA Big Eyes 27H Dam: TRI E Thundering Moment
and is bred to an angus emroy

Telos

Pigguy, Now your talkin. I know that cow. JJN Miss 25n and her mother. Jerry Gibson and Jerry Mara bred her. She's a great Fullblood in my opinion. I think the Godfather heifer is from some left over semen I had in Jerry's tank when I bred some of my cows to him. There's nothing wrong with those girls. JJN had the best set of Full Bloods in North America IMO. They were very moderate and good uddered for the most part. The 240C bull, bred by Calvin Fryer, was a moderate fault free kind of looking bull. Very smooth made and a longer muscle shape with good testicles and extremely smooth jointed and sound. All those 240c females looked very similar in kind. An extremely consistant bull which is important to me. 25N's mother was an awesome Canadian bred cow. I truly feel the fullblood Maine cow is unique.

DL

pigguy said:
the heifer is out of  The Godfather  and JJN Miss 25N

the cow is  out of FCC EPINAL 240C and JULIET MA 25J
the cow is an 2003 an dis fullblood maine
and the heifer is an 2006 and is 70% maine

I would not buy a Godfather sired heifer unless she tested negative for PHA - Godfather is a PHA carrier.

I am with Telos - I like the cow a lot - like I said before I am partial to R&W Maines and this one looks like she can walk!

Telos

I agree with DL. Stay away from her Godfather calf unless you test her. Momma would be worth looking into, though. The Big Eye cow at the bottom of the page is more what most people are now looking for. Those VMA Big Eyes'  bred cattle gives you more rib capacity then just about anything else in the breed. I question if they would be as problem free as those 240C's. When you measure all the economical traits the 240c's are just hard to beat. The new generation breeders would probably like to power them up a little more, but I love em.

pigguy

the only cow he has tested was the red and white cow. and she was negative for pha and th. but he didnt test the heifer calf. do you think they ,could produce  club calves

OH Breeder

I like all the cattle pictured personally. They all have something to offer it looks like. Are you looking to buy all three or pairs?

pigguy

so what do you think about the red heifer since she hasn't been tested. should i buy her and then get her tested and if she is a carrier only breed her to non carriers??. i was thinking about buying all 4 of them and he has a Fullblood Reg. Gelbvieh with a Fullblood Maine Anjou Embryo due to calve 9/28/07.

OH Breeder

Why all the embryo's and not natural service? I would have the owner test her and he should not balk at that at all. Then you can make an informed choice. My question is, if these cows are good producers then why are all of them carrying eggs? Maybe I am crazy, but if the cow does a good job producing a calf that is marketable, then why are they sticking eggs in them.

DL

pigguy said:
so what do you think about the red heifer since she hasn't been tested. should i buy her and then get her tested and if she is a carrier only breed her to non carriers??. i was thinking about buying all 4 of them and he has a Fullblood Reg. Gelbvieh with a Fullblood Maine Anjou Embryo due to calve 9/28/07.

If you are starting a herd why would you want to start with a problem?? The owner should test the heifer and if she is a carrier RUN (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) you can get a TH and PHA negative heifer of good quality or better than this one - what is the embryo??

ANd maybe we could help you better if you tell us what it is you want to do  - what are you buying these females for???
;D

Telos

I think afhm might agree with me on this. If you go towards show steer production...You would be hard pressed to find as good of a potential clubby cow as what the Godfather heifer might end up making. At the present time Heat Wave and Full Flush(Godfather's sire) genetics is a pretty good recipe for a show steers. In my opinion show steer production is a numbers game. It usually takes a fair amount of cows to get the quality you're after and is far more difficult then what it appears to be.

I'm older and don't have the patience or the numbers to go that route. I know those genetics of the fullblood cow and have faith in them and feel their genetics are of value to the beef industry. At the same time you can certainly attempt to get a show heifer out of her or breed her for a potential herd bull. Or just breed her to make other clubby heifers. I don't think it would be anymore more of a risk to just buy both of them if you could. Looking at the picture,though, there is no question momma fullblood can really raise a calf.

pigguy

these are the reason that they have embroys in them instead of natural breeding
the Gelbvieh which has a Fullblood Maine Anjou embryo in her, so her calf could be registered as a Fullblood Maine Anjou

The Fullblood Heifer ---- we had some angus embryos so for her first calf we wanted to use angus on her to make sure of not having any calving problems.

The black maine has a slight twist in her leg and we are not for sure if it had happen during calving or if it was hereditary. So not taking any chances we decided to use an embryo on her also. That way we would get a good calf from her.

and the guy wont be doing any tesing on them
i was wanting to make some club calves

DL

OH Breeder said:
It is 27 dollars for Ph and 27 dollars for TH testing.

pigguy - a reputable breeder should test the heifer for you without a stink - you should not have to test her - it is a buyers market - sellers should be doing the right thin, especially when selling to youth (if you aren't youth accept my apology  ;D)

Jill

Those are the reasons the owner gave you?  I don't mean to be negative but, the only reason we ever put an embryo in a registered cow is because she hasn't produced show quality animals after being mated to several different bulls. 
I don't see a reason to ever put an embryo in a heifer, we only keep heifers that we think are good enough to produce show quality animals, if she were good I would look for a calving ease bull rather than loose a year on a fullblood heifer. 
I wouldn't take a chance on anything that isn't 100%, there are bred cows out there all over the place that will produce for you, why pay for someones bad leg?  And last but not least, why spend money with someone that won't spend $27.00 for your peace of mind? 
I know you are anxious to get your feet wet, but we are going into sale season, there are thousands of good productive cows that will sale in the next few months, why buy ones that you aren't comfortable with?

showcattlegal

Why would you want to buy cows carring eggs to start your heard? Most of the time they put eggs in the ones that don't produce very good calves on there own. I also wouldn't buy the heifer until she is tested.

shorthorns r us

not a fan of heifer recips but buying pregnant recips can work well.  the resulting calf may have more monetary or breeding value than the cow carrying the pregnancy.