cow puts to much leg in calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

wyatt

we have an alias cow and her first calf a carpe diem had a ton of leg bred her to walks alone to shorten them up got the same problem  ??? whats the deal here

CAB

It's been talked about here on the Planet, WA puts more leg under them than what he looks like he should.

Pleasant Grove Farms

i used LeRoy Brown on a cow that did the same thing to me....this calf is a home run; she never had anything other than sale barn calves before him.

savaged

We have a Pale Face cow that will trend that way as well.  BoJo really did the trick, so if you could just find some semen...... or another Ali with Alias on the Dam side.

vet tech

I think the i80 calves are bigger than people think, at stud he really got some size to him, which I like

ATM OH

We have a cow family that tends to throw the same problem, she has done it 4 years in a row with My Turn, Monopoly, Simple Math, and WA.  I'm about ready to give up on her.  They grow like crazy, but lose their eye appeal after a few weeks.  There are worse problems to have,  it's just tough to sell them.

CAB

bryan6807 said:
Breed her to a Ohlde bred angus bull, or BIM

Hey Bryan6807, with BIM being a full sib to Walks Alone, are you seeing that he is siring calves that are smaller framed than WA.?

bryan6807

only seen one calf and he was stout, to early to tell how he will grow. I thru that out because he was a smaller, stouter made bull when he first came out

ATM OH

I agree that Ohlde Angus genetics would do the trick, then you'd have a really nice female to use in production.  Duff Angus should do the same trick with all of the OCC bloodlines.

mick rems

i got a alli blue roan cow that has NOO depth or muscle whatsoever, but shes super feminine and strong topped. but she throws massively thick calves. still no depth, bred her I AM LEGEND last yr, calf is stout, smooth, and actually as deep as any of my other calves. i personally like i am legend, ive seen some good calves outta him, he just never got as much publicity as he should have. i would personally go i am legend, thriller, or other heat wave genetics, or eye candy. post a pic of her and her offspring if you can or got any. it may help.

oldgrouch

I have seen I80 and Choppin Wood in person. I can't imagine I80 downsizing anything, that one has plenty of leg under him. Choppin Wood is a dink and might work but your cattle had better be super square hipped as he himself is far from it. As far as a sure fire downsizer your best bet is most definitely  Jimmy The Greek.  Walks On Water could work as well by seeing how he produced last year, most of those were too small and most likely from clubby bred cows.

WJ Farms

ATM OH said:
I agree that Ohlde Angus genetics would do the trick, then you'd have a really nice female to use in production.  Duff Angus should do the same trick with all of the OCC bloodlines.

For sure them Duff bred cattle are small framed.....

wyatt

out of these bulls that everyone has mentioned what one would be best to clean up her neck i dont think occ bulls would work