Cowboy's calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I know Cowboy won't brag on himself but he's got a beautiful bull calf consigned in Nelson's Club Calf Paradise sale

MaxUsm.jpg

Mile High Max X UNO Bull/Steer
Consignor: Terry "Cowboy" Morris, Culbertsen, Nebraska

To see some of the other calves go to:
http://www.clubcalfparadise.com/salefeatures.html

Way to go Cowboy!!!!  <cowboy> <cowboy> <hero>

RSC

red said:
I know Cowboy won't brag on himself but he's got a beautiful bull calf consigned in Nelson's Club Calf Paradise sale

MaxUsm.jpg

Mile High Max X UNO Bull/Steer
Consignor: Terry "Cowboy" Morris, Culbertsen, Nebraska

To see some of the other calves go to:
http://www.clubcalfparadise.com/salefeatures.html

Way to go Cowboy!!!!  <cowboy> <cowboy> <hero>

Your right Cathy,  He seems to have a real good one there.  He show'd me pictures over a week ago when we were dropping a couple donors off.

Good Job Cowboy!  (clapping)

RSC

txshowlamb

thats one nice calf how much yall think he would go for i know its outta my price range but sure wish i could get my hands on him (lol) (clapping)

Dusty

How'd u get a red one out of that mating???? Pretty good calf......

justme

We had 3 UNO's and all ours turned out red so I think that's where the red probably came from.  Just my uneducated guess.

CONGRATULATIONS on one heck of a calf Cowboy!  I'm sure the Nelson's will get the job done for ya!

knabe

i can't remember, but i think color is E for black (dominant) and e is for red recessive, so you need ee for red and EE and Ee for black.  add in pattern S for dominant solid and s for recessive pattern (black/white), and it's not trivial to get a EE SS animal.  add polled to that, and the bovigen panel, and it's not trivial to get a homozygous animal.  again why the quickest path is line breeding or planned matings with upfront exact knowledge of genes in play rather than phenotype.  that's why this boy will be doing it.  in the rush to get homozygous black's first, some compromises were probably made.  the more genes you add, the more statiscally  tough it is to get homozygous.

Cowboy

Boy was I surprised a while ago when I seen this on here!! Red you are somethng else my dear -- I hope every one doesn't mind, they posted his picture on thier sale feature page this past week, so it is fiar game now.

Thanks every one for the nice comments, we are pretty proud of him. He is about 75 days old or so in the picture, still pretty green but Juli said he is exploding up there now.

His complete pedigree is as listed -- with the Uno being from a Chill Factor-Foreplay cow. The red is in there on both sides, so is the polled gene from his female line all the way back. He is smooth polled.

Juli and Brad are very capable folks and I trust thier ability all the way. We are very excited. The jury is still out on whether he will stay a bull, but we are leaning in that direction due to his pedigree -- it is fairly outcrossed to most things today -- but not totally.

If ya like him, go bid -- or call one in -- I am sure there is much more to come and they have a ton of great calves this year. I feel very fortunate to have made the cut!! hehehe

Take care all -- and thanks again.

Terry

DiamondS

He is a good lookin rascal!!  You're always so humble Terry!  Good luck with him. (thumbsup)

GONEWEST

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

ATA BOY, TERRY! Good job buddy, very happy for you.

GRsimm

Really nice looking calf when is there sale. He looks like he has the making to make a good one. Good luck. <party>

red

the sale is Labor Day weekend. I think Cowboy's leaving it up to the buyer on whether or not he stays a bull.

Red

angusboy1

thats a beauitful calf i no red calfs dont do good in the showring but that one looks like a ranker

ShowmanQ

angusboy1 said:
thats a beauitful calf i no red calfs dont do good in the showring but that one looks like a ranker

Not necessarily true!!! YES...some judges happen to be color bilnd and only pick black cattle, but a good red one will beat a not so good black one any day in my book. People get far to caught up in the "black hide premium" stuff. When purchasing cattle, throw color out the window, know what you like and pick cattle accordingliy....I would buy a green one if he/she had all the right pieces. JMO