CRAZY TEXAS!

Help Support Steer Planet:

worthabit

Now I'm not trying to cause trouble or pick on Texans, but while I was baling today there were two stories on the radio and coincidentily they both came from the lone star state! I thought they were so outrageous I would post them. Maybe some of you have heard them as well or may live in the area.

Harold county Texas is now allowing their school teachers to carry concealed firearms for protection! This just blows my mind. Apparently they are worried about shooters coming in and creating a colombine situation. The reporter asked the school superintendant why don't they use metal detectors and he replied that you have to pay somebody to run the detector machine and what happens if he is out sick! he sure didn't boost my confidence in the management of that county. Is it really that bad down there? Are any of you from Harold County?

The other story was from a suburb of Dallas. I believe it was a "swanky" area of town. A man had bought a 2007 F150 and some of the members of his community board told him he had to park it in his garage, not in the street because it didn't have the "class"  of a vehicle that should be in their community. Lincoln, cadillac, even chevy avalance's were  ok, F150's  no.

What is this world coming to...

Turkey Creek Ranch

Wow.....All I got to say.  (lol) Ok, my dad always made fun of my brother for being a Texas fan, and he would always tell him this joke. (I am not saying anything against anyone from Texas, I just thought the joke is funny) Only two things come from Texas, steers, and queers, and you ain't got no horns!!!  (clapping) (lol) I always liked that little joke.

Dusty

I have no problem with teacher's carrying guns.  If all the law abiding decent people of the world carried guns(95% of the pop.), there would be less crime. 

As far as the neighborhood goes.  I wonder what they would do when cousin Eddie comes down for Xmas and parks the RV on the street!!!!

knabe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpwdcmjBgNA

isn't smart to be as strong as the crazy with the gun, if there is a crazy with a gun?

or maybe we can just talk with them.

it used to be sufficient to walk around the class with a ruler to impose discipline.  now that parents seem insufficient to teach this, the stakes have been raised.

yes it's an arms race, but they usually don't go backwards unless you don't want to live or are willing to preemptively bomb the nuclear facilities of iran, which the dems WON'T do.

now the kids won't know who's carrying a gun.  that's good.  those that carry, will be trained.  that's good.

justintime

I know it sounds a little bizarre for school teachers to be packing a gun, but I am sure there have been lots of times when it would be beneficial. I think it would certainly put a little respect back in the classroom if the trouble makers know there is a limit to how far they can push a teacher... or another student for that matter.  I am not saying that I agree with teachers packing fire power, however, I have watched with amazement as the school teacher has little to control their students behavior. Personally, I think that the decision to carry fire arms, has more to do with the safety of the teachers and students than anything. It seems that schools have become a target for those who feel left out of society.... and a few deaths along with their own is their way of finding justice. A sad, sad commentary on today's society.

Here in Saskatchewan, our teachers have two new regulations to deal with in the new school year. A teacher can no longer deduct any marks for an assignment being handed in late. Also, they can no longer give a Zero mark for an assignment that is not handed in at all. It has been decided that these are not the job of a teacher. When I heard this on the local news, I was in total disbelief. How does these rulings help the teacher? What message does this give the students? I am getting tired of these weak kneed wimps who are afraid that too many rules are not good for the students. These people feel  that rules reduce the rights of the students who want to express themselves in different ways... . I know I am getting old, but I still think that having a little fear that if I did not get my assignments done , there would be consequences, served a good purpose. I still have a crease in my shiny head, where the nice little lady who was a sub teacher, smacked me with one of those three sided rulers. I literally saw stars, but it really got my attention.... and I did smarten up.... and I have tried to be  nice to her ever since.

DLD

Yeah, I heard about the teachers carrying in the classroom thing... I see the idea, and it has it's appeal in a wild-west kinda way, but the reality is that too few teachers (like anyone else) may be willing, or able (even if they are willing) to defend the weapon itself, even if they are willing and able to use it.

As far as not bein able to park trucks on the street, I think that's just as ridiculous as can be, too. But it's a fairly common thing in affluent neighborhoods everywhere, not just in Texas. I'm a member of a Ford truck enthusiasts forum, and people from all over the country complain about this one. I know at least one OKC suburb actively enforces that rule.

justintime, I know a bunch of kids that'd sure be happy to know that they could just turn their assignments in at any time. I wonder though, what those kids are gonna do when they move out and don't understand that if their electric bill is late enough, their power gets turned off???

ELBEE

God Bless Texas!

Are rusty 1989 smokin, clatterin, F250 diesels exempt? They sure seem to be the "status symbol" around here.

BIGTEX

It does seem strange to let teachers carry guns, but I guess that's what we have come to. The school dist. y'all are referring to only has 120 students K-12. They are also 30 miles for any law enforcement. I know that was one of the reasons. They might have alot of meth labs in that area.

As far as the F150 goes I mean come on it was a ford. No really the homeowner was breaking a HOA code. The HOA's have an alot of power in Texas, be careful where you buy. The HOA was in was Frisco, TX, a suburb of Dallas.

If y'all want to start Texas jokes just let me know.

Hey, what keeps Texas from  falling in the Ocean?

Because Oklahoma Sucks!

Keep 'em coming!

cattlejunky

If I was a kid I would definately be behaving.  Like some of you have said, It is sad that it has come to this, but it may work.  I personally think stun guns would be good.  If I was a teacher I would get more satisfaction of stunning some of the stinkers in the classroom.  My husband likes the idea of shock collars. 

BIGTEX

Stun guns would be great. Maybe turn it down for backtalking, turn it up if you need to knock someone out.

reno1014

The gun thing is scary.  As for the truck thing I guess those upscale yuppies havent priced a good truck lately....would put some of those crappy
sports cars to shame, Those kinds of people arent Texas bred they migrated here from whom knows where. 

kanshow

The gun deal really isn't so far fetched.  My brother in law taught in a rough school (not in TX either) and there were staff in the building that had access to a gun and were trained to use it.    This is not something that the schools want the general pubic to know. 

Along the same line, my sister's first teaching job out of college was in one of the Kansas City magnet schools.  One of the first things she learned that they didn't teach in college was how to disarm a student...  and she taught 5th graders... that's 10 year olds..   

No idea about the pickup but ELBEE would be right at home in our yard because we have a collection of those late 80's diesel F250 & 350's. 

afhm

Harrold is probably one of those "good ol boy" school districts that is probably the last place a teacher would need to use a gun.  I would bet it is more for protections from outsiders than the students.  Just think of the effect it will  have on the students behavior, Ms. Jones has a gun and knows how to use it I better sit down, shut up, listen, and learn.  Maybe if more schools would reinstate corporal punishment ( I think that is the proper term for the wooden paddle) they wouldn't need to have guns or stun guns in the schools again.

I guess there will be a lot more 1's put in for grades in Canada since a 0 is no longer acceptable or maybe give them -1's.  Is this their version of no child left behind? No child left behind is the biggest crock to me.  If a kid can't pass make them stay there til they can, make a better person out of them so maybe they won't end up on government assistace because they are too dumb to hold down a minimum wage job.  If they have a hard time with the 3 r's, make them take autoshop or woodshop or something they can left a trade from and hopefully make a career out of.

Texas is the last place I would expect to have a law against parking a pickup on the curb.  That would be like telling people in South Dakota not to wave when you pass them or not to park their combines in front of the house.  I know there have been times I have stopped at family and friends houses in route somewhere for a visit or a free nights sleep with a trailer and I have gotten some pretty dirty looks especially when a calf bellars.

chambero

The problem on the trucks is people park everything in the streets in those developments where the houses sit on top of one another and you can't even get down the road.  Thankfully I don't live in one.

Harrold is less than an hour west of us.  It's not that far from law enforcement.  Calling it a town is pretty optimistic.  I didn't realize they had that many kids.  It's a sad day when teachers can carry guns but not paddles.  There is a big meth problem in the region which is probably responsible for some of the fear.  Not sure how they get around the federal prohibition against firearms near school campuses.  I could see a principal being given approval to have some type of weapon under lock and key just in case, but not teachers.  Too much room for panic or overreacton on their part. 

DLD

afhm said:
Texas is the last place I would expect to have a law against parking a pickup on the curb.  That would be like telling people in South Dakota not to wave when you pass them or not to park their combines in front of the house.  I know there have been times I have stopped at family and friends houses in route somewhere for a visit or a free nights sleep with a trailer and I have gotten some pretty dirty looks especially when a calf bellars.

Speaking of parking your pickup in Texas...  I took my pickup and trailer down to help move my friends' mother back here from an apartment in a suburb of Fort Worth.  We had planned for several weeks to go see Jimmy Buffett in Frisco (north of Dallas) that weekend,  and they decided it would be the perfect time for her to move.  I really wanted to make 2 trips out of it,  'cause I didn't want to have to deal with my rig down there any longer than I absolutely had to,  but they assured me they'd talked to management and security of the apartment complex (very nice one, new, gated, guarded, etc...)  and it would be ok to leave it there overnight.  Now you folks most all know,  but until you've lived with a supercab longbed pickup and a 24' trailer,  you don't really understand how much space they take up.  We got there a little after noon on Saturday,  and (after considerable manuvering) parked it in one of two extra areas (room for 12 cars each)  that there was (besides the 2 spaces per apartment scattered throughout the complex)  -  of course it took up about 8 of those spaces.  I left it behind reluctantly,  mostly because I saw several cars and trucks that had obviously been keyed,  most of them multiple times,  so I was just sure I was gonna get it too.
Came back the next day to find all my paint intact,  but my 2 front tires slashed...  (in a sense I guess I was lucky that the damage, even though expensive, was fairly easy to repair).  Try finding a pair of 285/70x17  Buckshot Mudders in Fort Worth on a Sunday afternoon - we couldn't,  so we ended up with 2 BF Goodrich all terrains,  for $256 apiece out the door,  mounted and balanced  (that's about $85 apiece higher than the ones they replaced).  At least the people we were moving paid for 'em...
Bad thing was,  I really never realized how close Frisco is to Prosper - I could have parked it overnight at the barn of someone I know there,  but didn't realize that 'til we left Frisco Sunday morning and passed a mile from said barn...  Oh well...

Upshot of all that,  though,  is I don't consider it a Texas thing,  but an urban/suburban thing that could happen in pretty much any city...  Kinda like a no pickups in sight rule.

Jill

I guess in my opinion if you give the teacher's back the rulers and the paddles they wouldn't need the guns!

txshowlamb

I honestly have nothing to say to this post I live in Texas and love it we all have are opinions and are thoughts of what ifs and what abouts and I guess thats all that counts.

worthabit

txshowlamb said:
I honestly have nothing to say to this post I live in Texas and love it we all have are opinions and are thoughts of what ifs and what abouts and I guess thats all that counts
I didn't start this post to pick on anyone in particular, it just happened that both reports came from there. It could have happened anywhere. No hard feelings txshowlamb?

simtal

The only thing dumber than those people who live in those crazy neighborhoods with ridiculous rules are the people themselves!